My female cat behaves like a male

levent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been reading about spraying problem and it seems to be a male problem !? My cat is 5 years old, she's a female, it's all started when she had a urinary problem years ago. I've tried everything without having solved the problem completely. During summer time she goes outside a lot and she does her thing outside the house. It does not smell at all (but damages the surfaces) and it's often difficult to notice because she uses different places. She sprays (pees) like a male, horizontally on the walls or any vertical surface. Is it rare for a female ? My vet. could not help much on this.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I've had females do that to mark territory quite a bit. Not routinely, though, mostly when there's a new cat around, or a dog had peed or pooped near that spot. You might try spraying some Feliway near the areas that she like to mark.
Also, make sure the litter is unscented and the box not similar to the one that she was using when she had her UTI.
Sending prayers & vibes that she stops that behavior - pee problems are one of the worst, whether cat, dog, child or disabled person

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Contrary to popular believe, females spray too. When a female cat is in heat and she is looking for a tom she sprays to spread the message she is available.
Just like neutered toms neutered females can spray too when they have reason to do so, most often a behavioural issue, but still you must always be certain there is nothing wrong with her health. you said you consulted with your vet, did he check her urine ?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Coco sprayed once and it was my brothers fault.
His males had sprayed his jacket and she smelled it and sprayed.
She also had bladder stones and a infection at the time.
That was the only time she sprayed and she is 16.8 now.
I never had any other female do that.
I hope something will stop your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

levent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you everyone. I forgot to check my posting, I thought I'd received an email notification, is there an option for that. The story is too long to tell, that's why I said that I tried everything to keep it short. The second time I went to the vet. maybe a year after the first time, she had a second urine analysis and everything was good. Her spraying episodes are on and off but it created a lot of problems because her favorite spot was the couch. The main problem to me I would say is that she changes the location often, and since it doesn't really smell, it may take me some times before I discover a new or another spot. If you don't clean it can really damage the surface. This summer I wasn't working and I saw her spraying outside the house, so I know it can be anywhere, now it's getting cold and she will spend much of her time inside and I really don't know what she's going to do. I guess there is not much to say about it, it's a behavior problem and may never go away .

peterpoemercado

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Levent

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been reading about spraying problem and it seems to be a male problem !? My cat is 5 years old, she's a female, it's all started when she had a urinary problem years ago. I've tried everything without having solved the problem completely. During summer time she goes outside a lot and she does her thing outside the house. It does not smell at all (but damages the surfaces) and it's often difficult to notice because she uses different places. She sprays (pees) like a male, horizontally on the walls or any vertical surface. Is it rare for a female ? My vet. could not help much on this.
I think both male and female cats have territory marking tendencies.

levent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
is it me or information on female cat spraying is difficult to find ? Are you positive on this, is the only reason for a female to spray.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is difficult to find info on female cats spraying, as most people commonly assume only males do. Sometimes it is behavioral, sometimes medical, sometimes it seems like there is no cause.

I've had females who spray - sometimes from a UTI, sometimes behavioral. I have a bunch of questions for you - I skimmed this thread - so bear with me & sorry if the info is already posted!

1) Is she spayed?
2) You said she was re-tested for a UTI a year after the first, have you tested her again since that re-test?
3) How many litterboxes does she have?
4) Where are they?
5) What kind of litter of you using?
6) Is she an only cat?
7) How old is she?
8) Have you ever done a blood panel?
9) Have you ever tried anything like Feliway, Rescue Remedy, or even vet prescribed meds?

levent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1) Of course yes
2) no. I just checked her file and I didn't remember that they found bacteria in her urine the second time, she had 20 days of Clavamox just like the first time, a year before.
3) she has 1 but she had 2 litter for maybe 3 years (when I tried to solve the problem I added another one in the living room because her main target was the couch, not really convenient.
4) the litter is in a bed room I use for storage, it's always been there.
5) I use scoopable cat litter.
6) yes
7) she's about 6 and half the problem occurred when she was 2 year and a half
8) Yes the second time she was diagnosed with having bacteria in her urine and it cost 116$ only for that only, the blood was good.
9) No, the vet only change her diet, she's been on special diet since, rather expensive too. If she was only spraying on the couch I would try Feliway but she used maybe 10 differents places over the years, I'm telling you it's not an easy problem. Urine can melt paint on a toolbox, I know, it happened. It does not smell unless you put your nose on it.

How do you attach a picture ? I tried unsuccessfully

Is Feliway the best product ?

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also have a female that sprays. She is spayed, she has been seen by a vet and has no health issues. She is 6 years old.

She is a very dominant cat. She fights a lot with the other cats, she doesn't seem to get along with anyone. She always sprays to mark. We still have issues with her spraying. Nothing has solved it.

levent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very sorry to read that.

My cat is a very gentle cat, she likes everybody, her problem has nothing to do with dominating it seems.

levent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
White cat lover I tried to answer all your questions !

levent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I don't,

I am on another site (not cat related) very similar to this one but they have a supplementary option allowing image insertion, it's quick and easy, I don't know why this one don't have it.