Anyone know what's wrong with my kitty?

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm just looking for a bit of insight and advice.........

Harry came back from a week at the cattery last week and for the first few days he was fine. Eating normally, affectionate and going between in and outside without any bother.

The past 3 days he hasn't eaten much. All I could get him to eat last night and today was chicken pieces. He looks for food then won't eat what I give him (I've tried all his favourite brands!) He won't touch his dry food. He is drinking water as well. He is quite whiny and sleepy tonight; normally at this time he'd be fairly hyper but he's asleep upstairs. He's also quite clingy, wanting on my lap all the time.

He hasn't vomited or had any diarrhoea that I know of (he was outside for a couple of hours this morning). I had a feel of his stomach and it feels normal. He doesn't seem to have any injuries. I can't get him to the vet tomorrow but I was thinking I'll take him thursday if he's no better. In the meantime is there anything I can do or should be doing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Does he have a runny nose or anything. He might have caught something from the cattery.
I've been checking him over and apart from his eyes looking a little dull there are no other signs of illness. He had diarrhoea the last time he came back fom the cattery (a different one) so I made sure he had plenty of his own food this time etc.

Could it be a flu or something?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any fever at all.
My Meeko had a almost 105 fever last Jan and was very sick from that.
She caught the sickness at the vets when she had blood tests.
Theres a good chance he got something from the cattery.

brownieluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat acted like this once and I just thought he was being clingy but I think when they are overly clingy they are trying to tell you something! Mine also stopped eating and didn't have any 'visible' problems. Then when I took him to the vet he had an inside infection that was horrible. I had to run him on 2 cycles of antibiotics. Hopefully your kitty doesn't have something as serious as that but ya, if he's being more clingy than usual and not eating his favorite foods, then something is probably going on.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Any fever at all.
My Meeko had a almost 105 fever last Jan and was very sick from that.
She caught the sickness at the vets when she had blood tests.
Theres a good chance he got something from the cattery.
I don't know if he has a fever but what did you do when Meeko was sick? did he need anything from the vet? It's strange because Harry is acting pefectly normal half the time then not great the other half; then completely off his food which he normally loves! I'm going to try him on a chicken and rice diet for a day or two.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We took her to the vet.
We thought she was upset because Yoshi was pts right before Meeko got sick.
When Stormy was pts Meeko became so upset I took her to the vet to make sure she was ok.
They did blood tests because she was so sad and did not eat.
When she went to the vet she caught something.
Her ears were so hot with the fever.
They gave her pain meds and clavamox and she still would not eat and just lay there.
They said try babyfood and to bring her in the next day if she did not want to eat. I was all set to call the vet and she started eating.
The vet said the fever made her not want to eat.
She never had a bad runny nose at all but she had a infection and my Coco got it but she ate with it.
Do you have other cats?
I would try to keep them seperate if you do.
My Coco just got a little fever but got a very bad cold and she needed a vet for antibiotics.
Your cat could have some kind of infection.
Meeko is fine now except for her runny eyes she gets on and off.
Can you feel his ears and see if they are red hot.
Meekos ears were so hot.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your posts mews2much. I checked his ears and they are warm; I wouldn't say hot but warmer than I think they should be.

I'll see how he is in the morning but it's really difficult for me to get him to a vet tomorrow; I'd say I'll have to wait until thursday