Juno has an eye ulcer

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last Friday we clipped Juno's nails. Its not an easy thing to do. First I need to catch her. She's still somewhat feral and will not let me pick her up. She also weights over 16 lbs. I cannot chase her and crawl under things for her. Anyway she was by me and I was able to pick her up. I held her and my daughter clipped those hook claws. She never protests but hides her beautiful head with ears down. Anyway within an hour her one eye was running and was bloodshot. I think some of the clippings hit her eye. I had vet ointment for eyes and used that. Yesterday, Mon., we took her to the vet. She has an ulcer on her eye. The vet washed out her eye and said to keep using the ointment. She also advised that triple antibiotic ointment that is used for humans can be used on cats if it does not contain cortisone. I compared the ingredients on the triple antibiotic ointment that I had at home and its the same ingredients. Who would have thought? Anyway I want to advise that when you clip the nails they can fly and do damage. Juno's eye is getting better. She has such pretty golden eyes. I just love her.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Having 5 cats, I'm definitely no stranger to scratched eyeballs and eyeball ulcers!

I have to say, no offense, that I was absolutely shocked to read that your Vet told you it was okay to use human triple antibiotic ointment in your cat's eye. The type of antibiotic you're using isn't even safe or intended to be used in a human eye; it's a topical ointment, as opposed to an opthalmic ointment (only for use in the eye). The dosage of antibiotic in what you're using could be much higher than is safe for a cat, let alone a cat's delicate eye. Sorry but that sounds like one scary vet to me. I just had to post here because I think it would be very dangerous for other people reading to think it was okay and safe to just start using human antibiotic wound ointment in their cat's eyes. My god!

Originally Posted by deljo

Last Friday we clipped Juno's nails. Its not an easy thing to do. First I need to catch her. She's still somewhat feral and will not let me pick her up. She also weights over 16 lbs. I cannot chase her and crawl under things for her. Anyway she was by me and I was able to pick her up. I held her and my daughter clipped those hook claws. She never protests but hides her beautiful head with ears down. Anyway within an hour her one eye was running and was bloodshot. I think some of the clippings hit her eye. I had vet ointment for eyes and used that. Yesterday, Mon., we took her to the vet. She has an ulcer on her eye. The vet washed out her eye and said to keep using the ointment. She also advised that triple antibiotic ointment that is used for humans can be used on cats if it does not contain cortisone. I compared the ingredients on the triple antibiotic ointment that I had at home and its the same ingredients. Who would have thought? Anyway I want to advise that when you clip the nails they can fly and do damage. Juno's eye is getting better. She has such pretty golden eyes. I just love her.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

Hi there,

Having 5 cats, I'm definitely no stranger to scratched eyeballs and eyeball ulcers!

I have to say, no offense, that I was absolutely shocked to read that your Vet told you it was okay to use human triple antibiotic ointment in your cat's eye. The type of antibiotic you're using isn't even safe or intended to be used in a human eye; it's a topical ointment, as opposed to an opthalmic ointment (only for use in the eye). The dosage of antibiotic in what you're using could be much higher than is safe for a cat, let alone a cat's delicate eye. Sorry but that sounds like one scary vet to me. I just had to post here because I think it would be very dangerous for other people reading to think it was okay and safe to just start using human antibiotic wound ointment in their cat's eyes. My god!
My vet also told me it was safe to use!I rescue ferals and I brught in a litter of kittens with infected eyes and it was getting costly to buy the eye ointment and he told me to use the regular triple antibiotic ointment!said it was the same thing!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No offense taken. I'm glad for your reply. As I said I did compare the ingredients on both the opthamalic ointment and the human version. They were indentical down to the inert stuff such as zinc and sulfate. However since I had the feline version I can't see me using the human since its a thicker ointment and the vet did say its hard to see through. That said, she is for me, a new vet since my old one was up for state sanctions due to allegations of animal abuse. Its so hard to determine who is good or not.