TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Gay rights advocates aiming for state coffers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gay rights advocates aiming for state coffers - Page 6

post #151 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
It makes me sad to see such self-righteousness, hatred and bigotry. Makes me wonder if God had made any of them different when they were born, would they feel the same. The old saying, there but for the grace of God comes to mind.
Pretty much goes against their wish for tolerance from others, IMO. Like petulant children stomping their feet after they don't get what they want.
post #152 of 177
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
Pretty much goes against their wish for tolerance from others, IMO. Like petulant children stomping their feet after they don't get what they want.
Of course it does. Because their "wish for tolerance from others" was unfulfilled. In fact, they were presented with near blatant intolerance. If it weren't so sad, it would be funny that people who are intolerant to gays will immediately cry "where's the tolerance" when their schemes blow up in their faces.
post #153 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Of course it does. Because their "wish for tolerance from others" was unfulfilled. In fact, they were presented with near blatant intolerance. If it weren't so sad, it would be funny that people who are intolerant to gays will immediately cry "where's the tolerance" when their schemes blow up in their faces.
But you haven't seen that, have you? They've quietly gone out of business, or resigned their positions with charitable organizations. No mass protests in the streets, no online lists of people that were against Prop 8 that should be boycotted.

They spoke out with their vote. That's enough for some of us.
post #154 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Actually, I'd not even know who to look for. "Cindy in 'Vegas" is pretty vague, don't you think
I was sad to see, "Calvary Chapel" on that list. That is a large
Non-Denominational church with 4,000+ members less than a mile from where I live. A co-worker of mine used to attend that church and his wife still does. I think the money that any churches gave for the passage of Prop 8 could have been so much better used to help needy people and/or the homeless in Las Vegas.
post #155 of 177
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
But you haven't seen that, have you? They've quietly gone out of business, or resigned their positions with charitable organizations. No mass protests in the streets, no online lists of people that were against Prop 8 that should be boycotted.

They spoke out with their vote. That's enough for some of us.
Well, actually, yes I have. It is practically a stance when the "Yes on 8 organizers" and the representatives of the Mormon church give interviews on the subject. There are also several higher ranking Catholics that make the same "where's the tolerance" statements. I'm at work right now, but I'll be happy to google them for you when I get home
post #156 of 177
But Skippy, it is people's right to be against same-sex marriage, this is still a free country. While you may not agree with it, that is their right to vote IF it is put on a ballot.

To tell you the truth, I would not donate money to Prop 8 but if it did come down to a vote on a Nevada ballot, I most likely would not vote and that is a cop out on my part.
post #157 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Well, actually, yes I have. It is practically a stance when the "Yes on 8 organizers" and the representatives of the Mormon church give interviews on the subject. There are also several higher ranking Catholics that make the same "where's the tolerance" statements. I'm at work right now, but I'll be happy to google them for you when I get home
The key would be "when asked." I read lots of news and blog sites every day, and have yet to read about any protests in the streets or campaigns to run businesses that were against it into the ground.
post #158 of 177
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
The key would be "when asked." I read lots of news and blog sites every day, and have yet to read about any protests in the streets or campaigns to run businesses that were against it into the ground.
You seem to be seeking to equate my statements of people making claims of intolerance from gays while being intolerant themselves to some form of street protest. I'm not sure how we got there. There are plenty of news and blog sites that pose the question to gays of "where's the tolerance?".

In fact, Pat Boone has gone so far as to equate the actions of the homosexual community with the terrorists that attacked Mumbai ?! , and then questions why they are intolerant

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=82830
post #159 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
In fact, Pat Boone has gone so far as to equate the actions of the homosexual community with the terrorists that attacked Mumbai ?! , and then questions why they are intolerant

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=82830
To put it nicely, his logic is a bit "fuzzy".
post #160 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
You seem to be seeking to equate my statements of people making claims of intolerance from gays while being intolerant themselves to some form of street protest. I'm not sure how we got there. There are plenty of news and blog sites that pose the question to gays of "where's the tolerance?".

In fact, Pat Boone has gone so far as to equate the actions of the homosexual community with the terrorists that attacked Mumbai ?! , and then questions why they are intolerant

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=82830
We were actually discussing that the people against Prop 8 have been way more outspoken and intolerant by holding rallies, posting blacklists, etc that are covered by the media. Pat Boone on WND isn't exactly in that category.

You really need to step away from the PC. When you start reading WND regularlly, you've gone too far.

It's certainly not the MSM, no decent blog sites even touch his stuff.
post #161 of 177
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
It's certainly not the MSM, no decent blog sites even touch his stuff.
Really? It was numerous blogs that lead me to his article

http://onlinejournal.com/artman/publ...cle_4178.shtml

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neil-g..._b_150285.html

http://www.fcnp.com/index.php?option...tary&Itemid=79

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gayso...one-compa.html
post #162 of 177
It was put on the ballot for people to vote on, people voted. This is America, this is how things are done here. IMO, the blame goes on the State of California for putting it on the ballot in the first place.

I know this isn't the same but I am not thrilled that Obama won the election but I'm not going to boycott people that voted for him. Heck, I would have to leave this forum if I did.
post #163 of 177
Bob Barr, the author of the federal Defense of Marriage Act, has published the following:

Opinion
No defending the Defense of Marriage Act
post #164 of 177
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
It was put on the ballot for people to vote on, people voted. This is America, this is how things are done here. IMO, the blame goes on the State of California for putting it on the ballot in the first place.

I know this isn't the same but I am not thrilled that Obama won the election but I'm not going to boycott people that voted for him. Heck, I would have to leave this forum if I did.
Pulling uncomfortable subjects out of the shadows and causing people to face their discomfort in the light of day is also how it's done in America. Slavery, Women's Suffrage, Civil Rights. None of these would have ever changed had it not been for the oppressed and their supporters taking action.

You might have more luck with an Obama boycott that you'd think
post #165 of 177
If you think those are decent blogs, that's your problem right there. Huff-Po. Dear Lord. They even had Bill Ayers do an expert column last week.

And I might be wrong, but this thread is over the protests that resulted from the defeat of Prop 8. Not debating the whole idea over and over again.
post #166 of 177
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
If you think those are decent blogs, that's your problem right there. Huff-Po. Dear Lord. They even had Bill Ayers do an expert column last week.

And I might be wrong, but this thread is over the protests that resulted from the defeat of Prop 8. Not debating the whole idea over and over again.
Could you post a link to the definite criteria of what constitutes a decent blog, and the credentials of who makes that determination? I'd really appreciate it

It would seem that the entire idea behind protests is to have the subject revisited, isn't it?
post #167 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
If you think those are decent blogs, that's your problem right there. Huff-Po. Dear Lord. They even had Bill Ayers do an expert column last week.

And I might be wrong, but this thread is over the protests that resulted from the defeat of Prop 8. Not debating the whole idea over and over again.
I have to say I have no problem with the boycott. To see if the other side boycotted or if they did anything after the law was passed, I typed Christian + boycott into a search engine. I must say Christians have a long history of boycotting companies, getting the message out to thier constituants not to patronize a companies if it goes against their views. And this includes boycotting companies that offer same sex benefits. Not even supporting same sex marriage but benefits. And before you say I am picking on Christian it was just easier to type Christian and Boycott together. I don't care if the Christian choose not to spend thier money somewhere. (Unless my favorite store gets closed down, then I'd care. ) But it seems to me there is alot of tit for tat. On both sides of the larger issue of same sex marriage, not just the one instance of Proposition 8. And quite frankly, although gay activist have made strides, the other side has been boycotting companies longer and better than they have. But I wish the gay activists luck.
post #168 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Could you post a link to the definite criteria of what constitutes a decent blog, and the credentials of who makes that determination? I'd really appreciate it

It would seem that the entire idea behind protests is to have the subject revisited, isn't it?
One that actually gives both sides would be nice, one that is unbiased would be nice. But you won't find any of those anymore because they do not exist.

Soooo, you believe what you want to believe, I will believe what I want to believe and Neet will believe what she wants to believe.

P.S. You can't get much more bleeding heart liberal than the Huff-Po

Edit to Add, Fox IS the most balanced IMO as they will have both sides of the coin on, and they both get to talk. But I know, since they actually give the conservative side also, the Libs pooh-pooh them and call them names.
Does MSNBC have both sides on?
post #169 of 177
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
One that actually gives both sides would be nice, one that is unbiased would be nice. But you won't find any of those anymore because they do not exist.
My point exactly! It would make sense to read blogs from both viewpoints in order to find that real story somewhere in the middle. To dismiss blogs with an alternate viewpoint as not being "decent" leaves one with roughly one half of the story. Hardly enough information to make any kind of informed, decent stance with.
post #170 of 177
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Edit to Add, Fox IS the most balanced IMO as they will have both sides of the coin on, and they both get to talk. But I know, since they actually give the conservative side also, the Libs pooh-pooh them and call them names.
Does MSNBC have both sides on?
Nothing screams media bias like one side or the other claiming it to be above all others. And that goes for all of them.
post #171 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
My point exactly! It would make sense to read blogs from both viewpoints in order to find that real story somewhere in the middle. To dismiss blogs with an alternate viewpoint as not being "decent" leaves one with roughly one half of the story. Hardly enough information to make any kind of informed, decent stance with.
How do you think I came to the conclusion that Huff-Po was a rag?

Read what you want. Feel how you want. Vote how you want. My son and millions of others have gone to war to defend your right to do that.
post #172 of 177
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
How do you think I came to the conclusion that Huff-Po was a rag?
Fair enough As long as we're clear that it's merely one person's conclusion

Quote:
Read what you want. Feel how you want. Vote how you want. My son and millions of others have gone to war to defend your right to do that.
So have I. To include 2 trips to Lebanon in 1982/83. Actually meeting some of the people we're discussing across these few threads is how I came to have the thoughts I have on the subject.
post #173 of 177
Slightly off-topic. I tried to find out about registering as a domestic partner with my boyfriend. It turns out, we can't register as domestic partners because we're not of the same sex, and neither of us is age 62 or older. Talk about reverse discrimination!

(I'm being facetious. I am disappointed that Prop8 passed. I would hope that the sanctity of anyone's marriage would not be dependent on what some other couple is doing, heterosexual or not. )
post #174 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
Read what you want. Feel how you want. Vote how you want. My son and millions of others have gone to war to defend your right to do that.
I don't get the relevance of this statement to the argument at hand. Am I missing something.
post #175 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachytoday View Post
I don't get the relevance of this statement to the argument at hand. Am I missing something.
No, not missing anything. Sometimes statements don't actually relate to the argument at hand. We're all guilty of it at times.
post #176 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachytoday View Post
I don't get the relevance of this statement to the argument at hand. Am I missing something.
My comment was directed at Mike regarding blogs, news sites, etc. being subject to each individual's opinion. His idea of a good source might not be the same as mine, and we have that right to disagree.
post #177 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
My comment was directed at Mike regarding blogs, news sites, etc. being subject to each individual's opinion. His idea of a good source might not be the same as mine, and we have that right to disagree.
Oh. I still don't see why the military was referenced but if it a private matter between the two of you than no worries.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Gay rights advocates aiming for state coffers