Pregnancy test

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, there is a "chance" I might be pregnant. I'm over a week late and have been very tired and just feeling out of sorts this month. Last week, I did have some cramping, but no actual visit from "mother nature". I'm trying not to freak out about this, but I'm 39 and have pretty much accepted the fact that I wouldn't have children because my husband is basically sterile due to medications he has to take. So, this is a surprise...

Anyway, I said there was a "chance", not that I am. So, I do have a home pregnancy test that I was planning on taking this morning but didn't. Now, I don't know if I want to wait until tomorrow morning (don't think my husband can stand not knowing for another day). I know you are supposed to get the sample first thing in the morning, but will it still be accurate if I do it tonight? I don't want to get a false negative and end up with a surprise a few months down the road.

Don't get me wrong, I will be thrilled if I am pregnant....eventually. It will just take some time to wrap my mind around it. I just don't know if I have the energy for my own kids! When I watch my neice and nephews, I'm ready to reach for the tequilla after the first hour!
I really don't think I am, it's probably more stress than anything, but I need to know!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel.
I guess I can tell you one of the reasons I do not have kids.
I never got pass 2 months and gave up and now my husband can not get me preg.
The chemo made him sterile.
I am just a little older then you and miss not have kids.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should wait until you get up first thing in the morning to take a pregnancy test, especially if you're real early into it (or think you are). The hormone that test picks up on is in a higher concentration in the morning.

I didn't wait, myself...I wound up taking mine after dinner one night. It was more to confirm our suspicions (I had already gone more than a month with no "friend").

I'm a little younger than you (34) and I sometimes don't have the energy to keep up with my son (he'll be 4 in January). Children have a whole other kind of energy than adults do! I want to bottle it so us adults can have a shot of it now and then. :-)

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say to go ahead and take the test....I never was one to do them in the morning. And this way we can all know
and will ease your hubbys mind.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took one and it was a "maybe" and that was with my morning urine. We shopped for a digital test and couldn't wait. It was positive in 3 secs and not the 3 mins it said to wait
I was 4 days late at the time.

It's what you want it to be.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i didnt wait in the morning either i took it mid afternoon and it came out positive i used the digital kind

hope it all goes well!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually took my first one this morning due to some very very bad cramps and some light spotting Saturday. With my history of cysts that needed surgery, my dr. recommended I take a test even though I still have 3 days before my "friend". Anyways, I took it this afternoon and it was a digital test and was negative. Thank goodness with the house and everything.

Good luck though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update...I took it this morning (after a pretty much sleepless night) and it was negative. But, still no sign of my monthly visitor. I already have my annual gyno appointment on monday so if things are still status quo I'll have him check. DH said "maybe you're going through early menopause". I hit him.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I kept getting negative pregnancy tests, and kept feeling so sick, went to the doctor, they did a urine test, that was negative, and the next week I was still feeling sick, so went back to the doc, and they did a blood test to check for pregnancy amongst other things, and discovered I was around 7 weeks pregnant

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not to young to start meno.
My two sister were not planned.
My mom was in meno and had not had a period in a year when she got preg with my sister. She was 42 with my youngest sister.
I am in perimeno and just wish my periods would stop but of course I get them every 3 weeks now and they are very heavy.
I was 9 when I started.
I do miss not having kids and did think of adoption but we decided not to adopt.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I kept getting negative pregnancy tests, and kept feeling so sick, went to the doctor, they did a urine test, that was negative, and the next week I was still feeling sick, so went back to the doc, and they did a blood test to check for pregnancy amongst other things, and discovered I was around 7 weeks pregnant
This is what happened to me with the baby I miscarried. I kept getting negative tests so thinking it was the flu or something I went to the dr they done a blood test and I found out I was just under 7 weeks. I was in shock!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible that you could have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. It can cause cramping and missed periods sometimes for weeks and months at a time, or periodically no missed periods. Many women have it but don't even know about it until something happens that prompts the doctor to do more indepth blood tests for hormone levels.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I know how you feel.
I guess I can tell you one of the reasons I do not have kids.
I never got pass 2 months and gave up and now my husband can not get me preg.
The chemo made him sterile.
I am just a little older then you and miss not have kids.
It is the same with me. I knew before I married DH that the likelyhood of having kids was a near impossibility. DH has a genetic condition that made him sterile. Sometimes I regret that we didn't adopt, but we never could afford to. Now I am going through meno.. Haven't had a real "visitor" in almost a year. Just some very very light spotting. But nothing for about 4 months now.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Originally Posted by Brandi

This is what happened to me with the baby I miscarried. I kept getting negative tests so thinking it was the flu or something I went to the dr they done a blood test and I found out I was just under 7 weeks. I was in shock!
I also had the same thing with both my babies I miss carried. We were also told Dh had too low of sperm count for me to get pregnant

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Update...I took it this morning (after a pretty much sleepless night) and it was negative. But, still no sign of my monthly visitor. I already have my annual gyno appointment on monday so if things are still status quo I'll have him check. DH said "maybe you're going through early menopause". I hit him.
Dontcha just love it when someone tells you that?
I always hated that, yet now they have the last laugh--I really think I AM going through perimenopause about 8-10 years earlier than the average start. My special friend (with friends like that, who needs enemies, huh?) has been freaky the past 3-4 years, which it NEVER had done (I have even missed one--I have NEVER missed one, so I was so sure I was pregnant, but was not), and it now skips one a couple of times a year. Hence, I know quite a bit about home pregnancy tests! (Even though I now am so used to this, I do not think I am preggers, I still test, as I am diabetic, and want to make sure I do get on the right track with my health ASAP into a pregnancy, should I be pregnant, for the baby*s sake. Boy, am I tired of plunking down all that $$ for nothing!)

If the tests come back negative (wait another week after this one, and re0take it), I would see your DR.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your already late it probably wouldn't matter much if it's first thing in the morning or not. I was only 2 days late when I took mine after work and it was positive. Of coruse, there are LOTS of things that can cause you to have a missed or late period including stress and fatigue. Just to be safe I'd have the Dr. run a blood test (NOT urine because the lab's are about as accurate as a HPT when it comes to urine).

Don't get me wrong, I will be thrilled if I am pregnant....eventually. It will just take some time to wrap my mind around it. I just don't know if I have the energy for my own kids! When I watch my neice and nephews, I'm ready to reach for the tequilla after the first hour!
I really don't think I am, it's probably more stress than anything, but I need to know!
I feel the same way about my nieces and nephews. I've been told that it's totally different when they are your own.
I hope "they're" right!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It's possible that you could have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. It can cause cramping and missed periods sometimes for weeks and months at a time, or periodically no missed periods. Many women have it but don't even know about it until something happens that prompts the doctor to do more indepth blood tests for hormone levels.
You know, that is what I'm thinking too. I've been having weird cramps for most of the last year. Some months it regular cramps..you know, ibuprofen and no big deal, but every few months the pain is more on one side and is a real sharp pain that ibuprofen barely touches. That's the way the short cramp was last week then it just went away.

I actually made the appointment because of this in August but I have to go to a new doctor and they couldn't get me in until Oct...then they had to rescedule until Monday because of a conference or something. That is one of the things I'm going to ask him to check me for. Is it just blood work to begin with or do they usually send you for an ultrasound or something?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Is it just blood work to begin with or do they usually send you for an ultrasound or something?
As crazy as it sounds, PCOS can often be diagnosed just by looking at you. There are certain physical traits that are indicative of the syndrome.

I was diagnosed based on:

1. Very irregular periods, often missed for several months at a time; But sometimes not missed at all for a whole year.

2. Very heavy hemorrhage-like periods sometimes lasting more than a week. When I say heavy, I'm talking dropping my hemoglobin to a point where my doctors wanted to transfuse me with blood at times;

3. Very light periods sometimes lasting 1/2 of a single day;

4. Horrid cramps with my period;

5. Body shape. Heavy, weight carried more around the middle;

6. Skin tags

7. Rapid hair growth

8. Coarse facial hair on my upper lip and a few on my chin.

My symptoms were so classic that there was no need for ultra sound to look for cysts. They did do blood work to check my hormone levels which only confirmed what my doctor already knew based on the above.

There is no cure, but it can be managed. Mine is not being treated at all.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Use birth control such as condoms or a diaphragm so that you don't have to keep buying pregnancy kits.
We do! But these can fail too, which is why I test, just in case. I know of a relative who this has happened to twice in her life, and she got pregnant. I am very responsible, and always have been. I am not stupid.