It's a Girl!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you may have read the thread I started about the poor little kitty who was living on my patio. I got it in a carrier this morning and off we went to my vet. They just called me---it's a girl!
They are guestimating her age at 8 years ( I knew she was at least 5 y.o ), negative for feline leuk (huge load of my mind), and not pregnant! Yea! Also not spayed, apparently. Boo! I asked them to keep her overnight and do the spay in the morning so she didn't have the trauma of all those car rides. She's had her rabies & feline leuk vaccinations, they're going to treat her for fleas so she's be in good shape when I pick her up tomorrow afternoon, she's dehydrated so they're pushing fluids, and she's eating like a hog.

I'm so tickled she's a girl for some reason. And I'm so totally pissed off that someone not only let her outside to fend for herself, but let an 8 y/o unspayed female outside to fend for herself.
What in the world is wrong with people!
Anyway, congratulations are in order; I'm a new Meowmy!

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So glad you were able to get ahold of her! Congratulations, and I hope that all goes well for her spay and she is home and happy in no time!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lib!...
congratulations!...

any pic of the lovely girl?....
...I figured she´s a wonderful girl!..

any Idea for a name?...

Awwwwwww I figured you feel in the sky!...
as well I feel when I gotcha to Catulina!...

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

Lib!...
congratulations!...

any pic of the lovely girl?....
...I figured she´s a wonderful girl!..

any Idea for a name?...

Awwwwwww I figured you feel in the sky!...
as well I feel when I gotcha to Catulina!...
I know this may sound funny, but the name that came to mind immediately is Sweet Pea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
know this may sound funny, but the name that came to mind immediately is Sweet Pea
That actually is an adorable name, altho we're those odd folks who name their vehicles and we once had a Dodge pick-up we called Sweet Pea
I've been toying with the name Pearl (she is totally black, so she would obviously be my Black Pearl). All of our other cats have Irish names---go figure. I like Molly, Olivia, Rita; can you tell all of our cats have human names, as well? It usually takes me days to think of a first name; then I agonize over a middle name for months!

Awwwwwww I figured you feel in the sky!... as well I feel when I gotcha to Catulina!...
This is really weird, I can't stop smiling
. There was no way, no how I wanted another cat---period! But this little girlie needs someone so badly and is such a lover, and as DH says, "When you've got 5 what's another one matter?" What a guy.

Will try to get pics in a couple of days; I assume she won't feel like having her pic taken after the spay tomorrow. Please keep your fingers crossed that she handles it ok.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the name Pearl.
I also like it spelled this way Purrl.

Good one!

So is she tame?
She is fairly tame, but startles easily. The young lady from the vet's office told me that she loves to be combed (the cat, not the young lady). She's let me pick her up the last couple of days and hold her, and she likes to be cuddled.

Congratulations on your new addition, you must be so proud of yourself!
Oh my gosh, no! I didn't do anything but decide the poor little girlie needed a place to call her own and some people to love her.

DH tells me he thought he saw her (still haven't decided on her name but her likes Pearl, too) sitting in a window in a house around the corner from us---after the tenants had moved out! I can't believe someone would move and leave their cat in the empty house, but you see stories on animal planet about that issue. I guess the landlord eventually found her in the house and threw her out. It seriously makes my head feel like exploding, to think that someone would do that to the poor little girl. Luckily, this time tomorrow she'll be in her new home, complete with 2 new brothers and 3 new sisters.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people are just thoughtless idiots. Hooray for Pearl. I like the name too. She's a precious gem. And wonderful that you can give a senior kitty a home. An older black cat would be difficult to place if a rescue even had room for her.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I just brought Pearl home from the vet's; she's a little wobbly but ravenous! I guess that's what happens when you've been starved for several weeks. Much hissing going on around her, but her Meowmy is ever watchful
. The vet said she came thru the surgery like a champ, now it's just getting the other 5 to realize she's here to stay.
I knew she was a tiny little thing---she weighed in at 5 pounds this morning, and I'd bet she put on at least 1/2 a pound since I started feeding her last week.

I know she's not supposed to eat after surgery, but the poor little girlie is just so hungry I don't have the heart to deny her. I'll watch her like a hawk.

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the new girl! If you're not stuck on Pearl, there are Irish names that mean Black, and Black Haired (Kira, Keira, Ciara, Ceara).

Pearl is lovely though! I also love human names for my animals (Raymond and Stanley!)

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on Pearl! What a happy end for a kitty, she deserves it.

I'm so glad that she wasn't pregnant.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the new girl! If you're not stuck on Pearl, there are Irish names that mean Black, and Black Haired (Kira, Keira, Ciara, Ceara).
I'm not stuck on Pearl; she just doesn't LOOK like a Pearl. I really like the Irish names you mentioned, but DH isn't crazy about any of them. So, I've been calling her Hannah
. Go figure. Maybe Hannah Pearl (there has to be a middle name).