Tapeworm

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think i saw a tape worm by her butt? What do i do now?

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Treat her with a dewormer that is effective for tapeworms (most of the time you will see segments of the worm that look like grains of rice on your cat's behind). Also make sure she does not have fleas, tapeworm eggs are often inside fleas and when a cat swallows a flea it will become reinfected.

Also wash your hands after you handled your cat and before you eat, you can get tapeworm yourself.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a fecal sample to your vet to confirm the type of worm (tape or roundworm or whatever). The vet will then give you worming medication suitable for the particular type of worm that your kitty has. If it is tapeworm, then yes it's probably from fleas so it would be good to check for fleas and treat your home and kitty for that as well. Your vet should be able to at least tell you what kind of worms, give you the correct wormer and dosage and also tell if your kitty has or has had fleas.

Please do not use over-the-counter flea medications/shampoos. Some of these are just plain dangerous and others often don't work.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meeko and Coco have had tapworms before.
All it takes for a cat get them is to eat 1 flea.
Coco got Drontal last ttime and it worked great.
There is also a shot that they have had.
The vet said get drontal instead last time because its way cheaper.
Ask your vet about it.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is VET time!!
I was able to bring the worm into the vets office last time in a tupperware container.
Didn't even have to bring the kitty. Prescribed the appropriate meds and woolah no more gross worms!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well this is the 1st` ti`me ive seen this tapeworm,ill keep an eye on it,should i put some frontline on her? Saw some flea dusting awhile back.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Racn1320

Well this is the 1st` ti`me ive seen this tapeworm,ill keep an eye on it,should i put some frontline on her? Saw some flea dusting awhile back.
I'm not sure what you are saying here, but unless you've taken her to the vet and was prescribed a medication for the worms, do not give her anything. I'm also not certain what you mean by "flea dusting". If you mean you saw flea dirt then it is more than likely she has tapeworm and you need to get rid of the tapeworm AND the fleas or she will just keep being re-infested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm not sure what you are saying here, but unless you've taken her to the vet and was prescribed a medication for the worms, do not give her anything. I'm also not certain what you mean by "flea dusting". If you mean you saw flea dirt then it is more than likely she has tapeworm and you need to get rid of the tapeworm AND the fleas or she will just keep being re-infested.
Yea it was flea dirt i saw awhile back,bought somr frontline and put it on her,i say 1 tapeworm,if i see another then ill make an appt with the vet. Can this be fatal?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on where you got the Frontline. If you got it from your vet then that will certainly work to start killing off the fleas. But if you have fleas in your house they are living in your carpets most likely and they will continue to hatch. If you get some diatomaceous earth (do a search on this forum for diatomaceous earth and you'll get info on where to get it), sprinkle that in your carpets and sweep it down into the fibres. You need to get human/food grade. It is totally safe for humans and animals. You do want to avoid inhaling it though as it can irritate lungs. I got mine at a garden centre and it was brand named ChemFree.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please make an appt soon with the vet... Most of the time this is a minor to moderate ailment but like many things it can vary on the animal