Might be getting a munchkin kitten tomorrow!!!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who breeds munchkins and one of her munchies has a litter of kittens that are 8 weeks old. Well, everything was fine and dandy til last week... Last week one of the kittens developed the sniffles, so she was going to take it to the vet in the morning. Well, she woke up and found the kitten dead.

The next morning another kitten started showing the same symptoms. She already had a vet appointment for one of her sugar gliders, so she brought all the kittens along with her. By the time she got to the vet the kitten was becoming lethargic and refused to eat.

Well, the vet had to keep the kitten under intensive care over the weekend, so we'll be getting an update when the vet opens tomorrow(technically today)...I hope she's better!

If the kitten makes it then I'll be taking her home with me so she can get 24-hour care(my friend has her hands full with the glider right now. It's dealthy ill and needs meds and hand-feeding every 2 hours).

Anyways, because I'll be giving the kitten all the care, my friend has offered to let me keep her if all goes well!

Soooo....please send good vibes my way that the little sickly, runt-of the litter- munchy makes it not only through the night, but lives to be a big, healthy girl!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mega vibes your way! I hope everything goes splendiforously well!

I haven't heard of Munchkins before, but I'm gonna guess.. are they really small?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lots of your way.

I have to admit, when I read this title I thought you were talking about a kid
I haven't heard of the breed before, but I have alot of friends who call their children "munchkins"

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a non standard munckin. Which just means that he doesn't carry the certain gene that produces the short legs.

Here is a pic of when he was a little bugger

Then I fed him and he grew up a little. He is modeling his new vest.

Here is a pic with him and my other kitties. I get lots of attention since I provide the food.

This a pic of his mom (standard)

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chris- the pics are adorable!

TortieBaby- I hope your baby gets better! Munchkins are cuties! Unfortunately I believe they tend to have alot of health problems

Sending your way.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do they have a lot of spinal/skeletal problems? They remind me of Dachshunds. Adorable, but unfortunate if they're not healthy.

I don't really approve of breeding that results in extreme deviations from the natural form like that. There are SO many problems that result from selective breeding, particularly in dogs like pugs, dachshunds, boxers and the like that it just seems like a shame.
Of course, it's all been done in the past, and all that we can really do with those types of breeds is keep a lookout for problems and be aware that they're susceptible etc etc.

But those munchkins are very sweet looking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very sad to announce that Bitsy(the munchkin kitten) passed away last night at the vet's office.
The vet thinks that she had a genetic defect since she was the runt of the litter.

I only held her once, at the vet, but I feel like I lost a pet that I had for years.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

I'm very sad to announce that Bitsy(the munchkin kitten) passed away last night at the vet's office.
The vet thinks that she had a genetic defect since she was the runt of the litter.

I only held her once, at the vet, but I feel like I lost a pet that I had for years.
oh tortiebaby, I'm so sorry

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your friend is a good breeder, she would never let her kittens go before they are 3-4 months old. Most pedigree breeders won't place them younger then 3 months old.

At 8 weeks, they are still nursing and should be with mom/siblings for another few weeks to learn important social and behavior lessons.

And the kittens would be neutered and spayed before they left too.

I'm sorry I didnt' read all of the thread - sorry for the loss. But the above is for your info in the future if you decide you want that kind of kitten. Personally I'm against breeding Munchkins for a lot of reasons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the kind words. I truelly appreciate them. *hugs*

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If your friend is a good breeder, she would never let her kittens go before they are 3-4 months old. Most pedigree breeders won't place them younger then 3 months old.

At 8 weeks, they are still nursing and should be with mom/siblings for another few weeks to learn important social and behavior lessons.

And the kittens would be neutered and spayed before they left too.
Goldenkitty, my friend is a WONDERFUL breeder. She breeds munchkins and persians. She NEVER lets munchkin kittens go before 12 weeks.The reason being(she explained it to me the other day) that Munchkins, like with teacup dogs, are alot smaller, thus need their mothers' milk longer then a normal kitten. So, while some normal kittens would be weaned as young as 8 weeks, munchkins usually nurse 12+ weeks.

The only reason she wanted me to take the kitten at 8 weeks was because I have experience handraising/nursing kittens and she currently has a sugar glider that is deathly ill with neurological problems and needs 24-hour care and 2-hour feedings+meds+sub-q. She already had her hands full with the glider, so I offered to take the kitten to ensure that she got the full care that she needed since she'd be needing to be handfed since she wasn't eating on her own.