Spraying or Peeing????

jo_jo_2505

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I have 4 month old male kitty...he is my world but i have tried everything and he wont stop urinating in strange places. For example on my couches and in tubberware empty toy boxes && certain beds in the house...he has been doing this for around a month now...I took him to the vet and they ruled any health problems. SO NOW WHAT....AM I DOOMED TO LIVE WITH THIS OR FORCED TO REHOME HIM...IT IS NOT SANITARY AND I HAVE SMALL CHILDREN IN THE HOUSE....

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 4 months he's just a baby, you'll need to have several litter boxes around the house so he can easily access them when he has to go.

Make sure to clean the spots he's gone in with an enzyme cleaner or he'll just remark them.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also - please test him for a UTI. I've seen them in cats as young as 10 weeks - it makes it painful for them to pee.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At 4 months old, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he could also be starting to spray. Is he neutered? If not, get him done soon.

Cats who urinate in inappropriate places are normally trying to tell you something. It could be that there are not enough litter boxes around your home so that he can hold it long enough to get to one. It could be that he doesn't like the litter you are using.

There are many threads here on the topic of inappropriate litter box activities - here is a link to get you started ...

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9563

Good luck.

megra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One word of caution: neutering doesn't always stop spraying. I knew someone who had a neutered tom and she had dreadful problems with him spraying. Mark you I don't think that should stop anyone from neutering. I think all cats that aren't used for breeding should be neutered and spayed as a matter of course.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by megra

One word of caution: neutering doesn't always stop spraying. I knew someone who had a neutered tom and she had dreadful problems with him spraying. Mark you I don't think that should stop anyone from neutering. I think all cats that aren't used for breeding should be neutered and spayed as a matter of course.
It can depend upon the age of the male cat when he is neutered. If you neuter young enough, before spraying behavior has started, normally, they will not spray at all unless under unusual circumstances. However, an older cat, who has had more of a chance to ~retain~ this behavior once started, may continue spraying after he has been neutered.

megra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh OK. I don't know what age Pepe was when he was neutered. Mark you, his owner I think was much of the cause of the problem. I'm sure her behaviour towards him made him neurotic - she treated him like a human baby.