A new addiction: TIMTAMS!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We started carrying TimTams (Sarah knows this delectable cookie) at our store here in Portland. I had two different people buy them today and the first told me about how Aussies eat them (I'll get to that in a bit). When the second person came up, I mentioned that method of eating them and the lady said "that's what my son's girlfriend said" so I broke down and bought a pack, since i was buying some patterns.

One might ask (and we get folks asking this a lot at the store), "why does a fabric store sell candy and food?" Well, our owner is Dutch and he loves bringing in foodstuffs from all over the world. Yeah, we have JellyBellys as well, but there's a ton of Dutch and Asian stuff (with labeling in Dutch, I think)... and then there's the Aussie stuff. We haven't had the Violet Crumbles lately, since we're having difficulty getting them in, but we have TimTams.

To eat TimTams, I've been told, you bite off two opposite corners/ends, then stick one end into your coffee and suck the coffee up through the cookie (it's chocolate coated), when you're done with the coffee, you eat the now coffee-soaked cookie.

OMG. So, I was telling the managers who were ringing me up (well, one was, the other was listening) about this technique. As soon as they were paid for, I opened the package and took one out, offering one each to the two managers. Holy cow... I'm in trouble.

At least I get my employee discount on them... I'm in SOOOOO much trouble now...

Anyone have a craving for TimTams and can't get them here in the States? I have a source... muaahaahaahaahaa!!!!!

So much trouble... I'll try the coffee thing tomorrow morning... if I don't eat them all tonight... holy cr**. There goes the five pounds I lost while sick.

Amanda

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get them alot of time and love them and one of favorite candies is violet crumbles. I also love ausie bears. I love stuff from other countries.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I get a pack of Tim Tams, I dance around from foot to foot waiting for the water to boil so I can make a cup of tea. A Tim Tam isn't a Tim Tam without doing the "Tim Tam Slam"

For those who haven't tried it, they pretty much explode in your mouth in warm chocolately goodness. They're not too sweet though, which is the other good thing.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find them really sweet and sickening, after one biscuit its enough!
I don't know how you all eat the whole pack or two!

Caramel tim tams do seem appealing though, now i want a coffee and tim tams!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I don't know how you all eat the whole pack or two!
I can't do that either
I like the love potions ones, i think they are raspberry?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an Aussie friend who used to talk about TimTams and "The TimTam Slam" sounds pretty good, but I don't think I can get them here.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that does it. I saw TimTams at the grocery the other day and thought of Sarah... but I decided to be a good girl. How foolish of me!
I'll go get some after work tonight...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I got TimTams in my first TCS Secret Santa.

Amanda? Are you my SS?
Nope... I chose to take a break from SS this year. I have my reason for not doing it (guilt over something and fear it may be too late to rectify). NO SS coming from my apartment this year... but if you need some TimTams...

I know they aren't easy to find in the States. Hence us having folks going nuts over them at the store. I've never even seen them at Cost Plus World Market... of course, I've never looked... but since I get them at work now... why pay full price for them when I can get them 40% off? (Now you know the real reason I stay at the fabric store... the discount!! That, and I can't get interviews at better paying gigs... but I'm trying... really, I am.)

I did my first Tim Tam Slam just a moment ago... wow, the cookie doesn't last long... but certainly an interesting experience... I'll take smaller bites out of the cookie next one. Cookie gets soaked through almost instantly...

Amanda

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't ever seen them, but I never looked. They sound a heck of a lot tastier than vegamite (no offense, Sarah).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I haven't ever seen them, but I never looked. They sound a heck of a lot tastier than vegamite (no offense, Sarah).
Yes... they are (granted, I've never had vegemite, but from what I know of it, it does sound kinda nasty).

Think of it this way: chocolate wafers with a layer of chocolate creme in between, coated with chocolate. Sound good? I had no clue what they were until I saw them at work yesterday... I figured 'if I can't get them here, why bother pining for them?'

Now I know...

Personally, I think the reason we have the Aussie foods is because our Resident handyman is Aussie, a tall balding mustachioed Aussie. He's a real character too... and has to put up with all these women (the ratio of women to men at the store is probably about 10:1, at least. We have about six guys or so, and a LOT of women. The owner is a man, though. he doesn't do too much anymore, his daughter runs the place. he stops by and watches us run around like mad chickens though... he did yesterday.)

Amanda

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm imagining a cookie (can't think of the name) that's this crispy wafer, coated in chocolate and rolled into a straw shape. I figured I was way off so I googled Tim Tams and found this... a pictorial guide to the Tim Tam Slam.

Originally Posted by butzie

I've had vegimite before (it's made by Kraft) and I think I'd rather eat canned cat food!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

So I'm imagining a cookie (can't think of the name) that's this crispy wafer, coated in chocolate and rolled into a straw shape. I figured I was way off so I googled Tim Tams and found this... a pictorial guide to the Tim Tam Slam.

I've had vegimite before (it's made by Kraft) and I think I'd rather eat canned cat food!
You got that one right.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I actually like vegemite a lot, but I can understand why some people would not find it to their taste. TIMTAMS, however, I can't imagine anyone not falling for.
I especially love the Classic Dark -- even less sweet than the original milk chocolate version -- and totally awesome. My favourite grocer (an independent local store) carries them, as of something less than a year ago, and it's just one more reason I love that store.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL! I prefer vegemite over tim tams - my son loves the tim tam slam with a cup of milo or a cup of hot chocolate.

My SS might be lucky enough to get a pack of tim tams. Or a jar of vegemite.