Very vocal kitten...

danade89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my little baby Daeva is 9 weeks old. She just got over being sick and is a vocal cat. I don't mean slightly vocal i mean she screams at everything. She wants attention she meows till i pet her, meows if she wants to be picked up, meows if I move her when she doesn't want to move or if i touch her while she's sleeping. I've never had such a vocal cat before is it normal?

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just more vocal that others. Niko, too, is a very vocal kitty, but it didn't start right away when he was a kitten. He has so many different types of sounds, chirrs, and meows, I can almost decipher what he's asking for/saying 90% of the time. The best is when he's whining for something, I'll give him choices. As I list all the things he could possibly want, he sits all quietly and at attention until I get to the one he's wanting, then he starts making all sorts of sounds and does a li'l "dance" to show that I've figured it out. While a talkative cat, in some cases, can become annoying, I find it a good thing.... it helps me communicate!

Now, I've never had an itty bitty kitten before ( got Niko when he was 6 months), so I'm not sure if mebbe it's just a kitten thing. Like a baby crying, it's the only way they know to get your attention and let you know they need/want something. Perhaps others who've had more experience with kittens could shed some light on that.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a kitten thing. Your her meowmy and need to give her reassurance.
Eventually it will get better. My cats are still vocal, one of them walks around meowing to himself
who knows why! cats are weird!

But it should get better. Just not anytime soon.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beturtlement

Some cats are just more vocal that others. Niko, too, is a very vocal kitty, but it didn't start right away when he was a kitten. He has so many different types of sounds, chirrs, and meows, I can almost decipher what he's asking for/saying 90% of the time. The best is when he's whining for something, I'll give him choices. As I list all the things he could possibly want, he sits all quietly and at attention until I get to the one he's wanting, then he starts making all sorts of sounds and does a li'l "dance" to show that I've figured it out. While a talkative cat, in some cases, can become annoying, I find it a good thing.... it helps me communicate!

Now, I've never had an itty bitty kitten before ( got Niko when he was 6 months), so I'm not sure if mebbe it's just a kitten thing. Like a baby crying, it's the only way they know to get your attention and let you know they need/want something. Perhaps others who've had more experience with kittens could shed some light on that.
My cats are ALL very vocal
and I am the same way....most of the time I can tell by the type of meow what it is they want!I have never had or fostered any kittens that whined just to be whining...usually I find they ARE trying tell us something!!

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's probably normal. Some cats are very vocal. Bugsy NEVER stops… ever. He meows at his food, the wall, the shower curtain, the tap water, the chair, his toys, the humans, the other pets…. Well you get the point. If I do not hear a meow at least every 5 min when heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s awake there is something wrong. Capone meows maybe once a month and thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s at his stuffed dog toy.

You kitten may grow out of it. My moms kitten was never quiet until she turned about 1 year… now you never hear her meow. I think its normal as long as you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t notice any pain, or discomfort.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Angel is very vocal as well and will meow for attention from me. You'll learn to love it when she talks back with you, lol.

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Marley was the exact same way when I brought him inside (he was one of a litter in my shed) he was 8 weeks. He cried all the time, no matter what I was doing...if I sat down, he got on my lap and stopped. He is 7months now and is still very vocal. He doesn't cry all the time like he used to, it was non stop, but he does meow all the time. He meows when he is playing, if he is hungry, on the way to the litter box, of he is coming into a room or leaving it. Not only does he always meow but he makes that little burrpppp noise when he jumps, or runs, or you say his name. I too can tell the difference between his meows. I gets better, partly because they become used to their environment and partly because you get used to it. It used to drive me crazy but now I love it when he has a lot to say, and believe me I never thought I would!!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

My Angel is very vocal as well and will meow for attention from me. You'll learn to love it when she talks back with you, lol.
Exactly.

When we were looking for a cat we were looking for a quiet one. My aunts have Siamese and it drives me MAD whenever we go over there, because they have two breeding queens and quite often one or the other of them are in heat and CRYING because they want SEX. XD

Mackerel was very very quiet at the cat shelter, except that she purred and purred and purred and purred almost as soon as she was picked up.

We didn't even hear her voice until a few days after we got her home.

She's a very. very. vocal cat. XD And now I love it. I hold entire conversations with her, I ask her what she wants and I... think... I'm even beginning to understand what she's saying, lol.

She makes this 'chirr' noise which I just love, when you touch her and she's not expecting it. Like if you sneak up behind her, or if she's sleeping and you move next to her or whatever. It's a happy thing- she starts purring right afterwards. What I think it means is a sort of, "Oh! It's you. I'm so happy to see you!" XD But that might be conceit on my part. :p

Needless to say, my SO thinks I'm mad for thinking that I could learn to communicate with her.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

Needless to say, my SO thinks I'm mad for thinking that I could learn to communicate with her.
Oh my DH and I talk with our cats together. It's so funny because we both understand them!
Angel does the blurrr! and eeh! still. It's too cute!

jayne1955

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just took in a stray that the vet says is about a year old, and he yowls almost all night. He's driving my husband crazy. I'm taking the cat to be spayed on the 15th and I hope it helps, because he's not going to be able to stay if we can't get any sleep. My other cat hardly ever cries, so this is a new one on us. We're just not used to this. Right now we're putting him in the basement when he cries in the middle of the night, but our other cat bangs the basement door trying to get at the newcomer, so it isn't helping all that much.

ali sparkes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is the noisy little chap we've just acquired! Seems to like the sound of human voices, likes music, not too keen on TV. He chirrups, meows, shouts, but did sleep all last night- unlike the 1st night when I stayed close to him as thought he was distressed. But as others have said think he's just making himself known and exploring new surroundings. Very cute and very affectionate even if on kitten speed :) As I type he actually is snuggling down and being quiet!