Do you have glass ornaments?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And if you do - HOW do you keep the from breaking. I miss my glass ornaments but Stoli and Luxor climb the tree and we pick up at least 5 ornaments every day from the floor. And I thought we really hooked 'em on good!?!?!?!?!?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We sure do. We put them towards the top and secure them well. Abby does not climb the tree. She prefers to swat at the ornaments around the bottom.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do
I always put them at the top of the tree and very carefully secure them directly to the branches with floral wire (I make sure they're on there GOOD!)

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do. However, I am blessed with kitties who don't give a sweet
about the tree. They really aren't impressed with this obviously fake thing, that's up on a table. Nonetheless, I make sure that the breakable stuff is on the upper 2/3 of the tree.

Actually, I've never had a tree explorer, even when I had a full sized real tree.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have glass ornaments, still.....like those before me, they're at the top part of the tree (from your pics, they're not even safe there, lol), and I make sure my tree is in a spot that if they do come off they land on carpet. I used to have more trouble keeping the tree UPRIGHT than anything else....but this Christmas we have four 7 month old kittens......so I'm a bit worried, lol!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christmas tree is out of the question since the Bengal arrived on the scene!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

I have glass ornaments, still.....like those before me, they're at the top part of the tree (from your pics, they're not even safe there, lol), and I make sure my tree is in a spot that if they do come off they land on carpet. I used to have more trouble keeping the tree UPRIGHT than anything else....but this Christmas we have four 7 month old kittens......so I'm a bit worried, lol!
Oh, yeah! Years when we have had kittens, we have not put a tree up.
Well, actually, I did when Shasta was a kitten, but she was an only kitten, and I was able to close the livingroom door, and thus keep her out when she could not be supervised. Even so, she was pretty good.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im lucky in the sense that my cats cant get onto my mantle piece which i have a lovely old cyrstal thingy (looks like an oversized martini glass) and my crystal fruit bowl on my table however flash curls up and goes to sleep in that

and other than my bad taste bears thats about it

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have glass ornaments. Which is one of the reasons I don't put up a tree! Well that and the fact that they're a PITA to take down. I still buy German Glass Ornaments though, but they don't get used. I just pack them away.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have all glass ornaments. Some are antique. I'm lucky though, that my cats have never bothered the tree. They lay under it but don't try to climb into it. They're just lazy ole Persians!

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a tree in nearly twenty years. Instead, I hang fake garland over the double doorway to my dining room and over the kitchen door. I anchor it well with florist wire tied to cup hooks. When I first put up the garland I leave it undecorated for several days to give the cats a chance to pull it down. Then I decorate it - on the ends I place less breakable/valuble ornaments.

Most of my ornaments are glass (Old World Christmas, Radko, etc.) with cloissonne and Hallmark (plastic) scattered in.

Over the years I have broken more ornaments than the cats! Opposable thumbs or no. However with Anna (1 year old Bengal) I may not be able to do this this year. Man, can she jump! I'll put the garland up and see what she does before I add the ornaments.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're going to get a small tree for the first time this year. It will be amusing to see what the cats do with it

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

Over the years I have broken more ornaments than the cats! Opposable thumbs or no. However with Anna (1 year old Bengal) I may not be able to do this this year. Man, can she jump! I'll put the garland up and see what she does before I add the ornaments.
Wise person!!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have 4 really beautiful glass ornaments that where my grandmothers. I don't put them on my tree and haven't for years. I do take them out during the holidays when I am decorating to look at but if anything ever happen to one of them I would feel pretty bad.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has all glass ornaments on her tree, and the cats ALWAYS manage to break at least 2 by the time she takes the tree down. She tries to put them up higher, but they sneak right on up to that level. I think they team up to get them

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think DH and I might have a tree this year, but I think he'll want to talk about it first. You see, last year, the ONE night I was out of town for a conference, he came home from work, and the tree was on its side.

Nothing that was sentimental or valuable was broken, but the water was all over the carpet, etc. The poor guy had to clean it all up...alone.
(Ok, so I wasn't TOO put out about that fact, lol.)

But, we do have some glass ornaments, and we place them towards the top of the tree. The cats never touched the tree again after it fell over. We think it scared them out of their minds.

Still not entirely sure how they managed to knock it down, though. We had this stand (Krinner tree stand) and it was full of water.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't put up a full tree around the girls since they chew the branches (artificial tree) and I've caught them trying to chew on the light strands too. Last year I got a small tree I stand up on my kitchen table. I do put a few glass ornaments on it, but whenever I can't supervise the tree, it gets picked up and put in a room where I can close the door. It's not my ideal situation, but it works.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure we won't be having too many glass ornaments around here at x-mas this year...not with the crazy crew I have currently! I'd probably have cats swinging from the very top of the tree...let alone the bottom branches!Lol!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have glass ornaments. Come the time to put them out, they go in their pretty box in the china cabinet safe from kitty paws.
Twitch, of all cats, like the climb the tree!