Arthur update (dodgy liver)

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to post a quick update about Arthur because he seems to be having a good day today.
I've been syringe feeding him his L/D food and giving him his pills etc. He got some sub-q fluid the day before yesterday (Im laying off that though, I made his food too watery so he should be plenty hydrated with that for the next day) I put him back in my bedroom instead of the spare so he can be around everyone and I think he likes it better. I've been getting a lot of food into him (not enough, but we're working on it) and he's really perking up. Still no interest in food and I think his ears might be a little more yellow but he's moving around a little more (from the kitty tree to under the bed etc) and he moves if Im bothering him with too much attention
This is great since he was totally lethargic and barely moved all day. He's more alert and looked out the window for a little while, had a BM yesterday and is peeing plenty. And putting up a little bit of fight when I feed him. He sniffs the tuna when I offer it but thats all. What really made me feel especially pleased was that he purred a little bit today
And I weighed him and he's at 16.2, which is what he was at on Tuesday when we went to the vet. So Im quite pleased that he's not lost any more weight.
I'm a little nervous, I feel like we're doing very well but Im worried that he's going to get worse before he gets better (or, god forbid, worse).

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like all your TLC is making a difference in Arthur! So glad you're seeing signs of improvement.

Be very patient because liver problems can take some time to resolve. Keep up with the hydration since it's so beneficial. Also think about trying some different foods to give Arthur a little variety.

At 16.2 Arthur is a big boy! I'm glad he's maintaining his weight. What's the normal weight for him?

Sunshine is really good for kitties with liver disease. It would be great if he can get at least 15 minutes of sun each day.

It's good that you're trying to maintain as normal an environment for Arthur as possible. Even if he gets a bit annoyed with you fussing over him at times, keep it up (and sneak in a kiss from his friends at TCS!
)

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been wondering what had happened with Arthur, I have missed all the updates since your original post about him losing so much weight.

I am SO glad you got to a vet that understands the significance of liver injury. I am also glad to see the wonderful support you are getting from the others here.

HL posts are so very hard for me, as I lost my soul kitty to it 8 years ago. Specifically because the vet didn't see the significance of his needing to be force fed. I didn't know anything about liver disease in cats then. I still cry thinking about him to this day.

Please know my rainbow bridge Fletcher and I are sending lots and lots and lots of healing for your big beautiful boy Arthur. Your doing all the right things and the fact that he is pooping and peeing is a very good sign. Don't loose hope.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my!!!!!!!! that is an AMAZING update!! You have NO idea how great you are doing. The fact that kept his weight up for a week means you are feeding him the right amount!! Just amazing!!!!!!!
And for him perking up, that shows signs of recovery, keep food available for him all the time! He might just start eating any day. Don't worry about the yellow, once he is better and eating it could still take over a week to titrate that yellow colour out!

Good work!!

to you and arthur

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to hear Arthur is doing better. Many many Prayers and that he continues to improve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

Sounds like all your TLC is making a difference in Arthur! So glad you're seeing signs of improvement.

Be very patient because liver problems can take some time to resolve. Keep up with the hydration since it's so beneficial. Also think about trying some different foods to give Arthur a little variety.

At 16.2 Arthur is a big boy! I'm glad he's maintaining his weight. What's the normal weight for him?

Sunshine is really good for kitties with liver disease. It would be great if he can get at least 15 minutes of sun each day.

It's good that you're trying to maintain as normal an environment for Arthur as possible. Even if he gets a bit annoyed with you fussing over him at times, keep it up (and sneak in a kiss from his friends at TCS!
)
I was actually thinking last night that I feed kind of bad for him having to be force (err..assist) fed so much of the same food, but he's on the liver food from Hills so I dont think I want to give him anything else. He should be around 18-19 pounds to be healthy, he was at nearly 21 (!) and I weighed him yesterday and he had gained 2 ounces. Not sure if he really has, I expect it's just all the food I've been giving him and his sub-q fluid bubble. As for 15 minutes of sunshine, we have snow in our forecast
Although it does look like it could clear up a little later on. I'll be sure to give him a cuddle for you

Originally Posted by catsknowme

Sending mega prayers and vibes that Arthur continues to improve What a gorgeous group of kitties
Is Arthur a MaineCoon???
Thanks!
Arthur is a Maine Coon, so is Chester. They're all brothers except Munchkin!

Originally Posted by kittymonsters

I have been wondering what had happened with Arthur, I have missed all the updates since your original post about him losing so much weight.

I am SO glad you got to a vet that understands the significance of liver injury. I am also glad to see the wonderful support you are getting from the others here.

HL posts are so very hard for me, as I lost my soul kitty to it 8 years ago. Specifically because the vet didn't see the significance of his needing to be force fed. I didn't know anything about liver disease in cats then. I still cry thinking about him to this day.

Please know my rainbow bridge Fletcher and I are sending lots and lots and lots of healing for your big beautiful boy Arthur. Your doing all the right things and the fact that he is pooping and peeing is a very good sign. Don't loose hope.
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. I can imagine how you feel, my vet didnt tell me anything about force feeding and I only knew I should because I read another post about liver disease here! When I went back in and got another vet he told me more about it.

Originally Posted by lmunsie

Oh my!!!!!!!! that is an AMAZING update!! You have NO idea how great you are doing. The fact that kept his weight up for a week means you are feeding him the right amount!! Just amazing!!!!!!!
And for him perking up, that shows signs of recovery, keep food available for him all the time! He might just start eating any day. Don't worry about the yellow, once he is better and eating it could still take over a week to titrate that yellow colour out!

Good work!!

to you and arthur
He's got dry food available all the time but Im only offering him canned (and tuna) a few times a day because my other little piggies would have it gone in a flash if I left it out. I'm working on increasing his food, he should be getting at least two cans a day (which is crazy, dont know how Im supposed to stuff that much into him!) right now Im getting about one can into him including the water Im using to smooth it down. Which is a good start

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in to see how big boy Arthur is doing. Lots of still coming for both of you