Need Advice on Freezing Cookies

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's that time of year again. Last year I made 8 different types of Christmas cookies in a week. Needless to say, my holiday spirit was sorely tested. This year I want to get a head start and begin my baking this week. I know I can freeze cookies until next month, but I've never done it before and I don't want to mess up.
Can anyone give me advice on how to package them? I know not to use frosting or powdered sugar before freezing, but after that I'm clueless.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I freeze cookies quite a lot and I found the best way to do it is in plastic containers, do a layer then put wax paper in between, then another layer and so on. I found that wax paper works better then plastic because it doesn't stick as much.
Very important is that the cookies are really cold, I generally put them on a tray covered in the fridge and freeze the next day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you don't need to wrap them individually, just in layers?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

I freeze cookies quite a lot and I found the best way to do it is in plastic containers, do a layer then put wax paper in between, then another layer and so on. I found that wax paper works better then plastic because it doesn't stick as much.
Yes, that's what I do too. Those plastic, gallon ice cream containers are great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help. Seems I assumed it was a whole lot more complicated than it really is. What's the worst that can happen? I'll ruin everything and the squirrels and raccoons will have to each it all!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I normally put them in ziploc freezer bags, but double or triple bag them.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One thing I did find is that most cookies freeze well, but home-made chocolate covered things don't. The chocolate doesn't stay hard and gets all melt-in-your-hands gooey. Not that it didn't still TASTE good, just very messy to eat after thawing!

I also put the cookies in baggies and froze them, and it worked just fine.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had to freeze some recently (needed it for 2 different occasions). We double bagged them in gallon size freezer bags. If you want to go an extra step and have the space (we have a full size freezer too) - put it in a box and close the box up.