or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Hartz Ultra Guard Rid Worm Paste
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hartz Ultra Guard Rid Worm Paste

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Has anyone has any experience with it? I just had a couple of questions.

1. My little cat has roundworms and my big cat doesn't, (at least no symptoms) but just to be sure, I gave her the med today so she's safe from roundworms. Is that ok? (I know it's a little late now since she already consumed it)

2. It says to give it with food, but she won't eat the entire food herself since I have 2nd kitten. So I fed her directly with the syringe it came in. Is that ok?

3. She's 10.5 lbs but when I pushed the syringe, it stopped at 12.5 lbs. Should I worry???
post #2 of 9
I'm glad you asked the question because it's important. In the future, please don't use those over-the-counter worming remedies. They can be dangerous.

Always consult your vet about parasites (worms). *All* worming meds should be given under the care of a vet who has tested the cat for specific parasites and can treat the cat accordingly.

In the meantime, since you've already given the worming paste, keep a close eye on your cat. If she vomits, won't eat, is lethargic, etc., take her to the vet.
post #3 of 9
I would not have used the hartz.
I would have got Drontal from the vet.
It is much safer.
I would watch your cat and make sure its ok.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
I just got home and saw all the food she ate before I left home, thew back up on the carpet. She seems to be ok and walking around fine. But I called the vet right away and told them what happened. Was told not to worry too much yet because it's usual from those meds, because of the taste. But if this is happening over and over then to bring her in.

....I did give her some food now and she seemed to be eating it. I will keep a close eye on her.

But I feel really bad for her because it said to put it on her paw and I fed her straight from the syringe. I didn't think it'd matter much, but I guess it did.
post #5 of 9
I think the general consensus, besides not using OTC de-worming products, is that Hartz products are not good and shouldn't be used for any reasons. I think we've all heard too many horror stories about their side effects.
post #6 of 9
Often over-the-counter medications don't do the job and sometimes they can be dangerous. Cats have died from OTC de-wormers. As the above poster says, all medications should be obtained from a licensed vet.

I hope your kitty is going to be OK.
post #7 of 9
Please do not use any of the over the counter meds for worming. Take the kitten to the vet for proper diagnosis and treatment. If the VET recommends you use something OTC, fine - but you shouldn't assume you know what they have.

I know what different types of worms look like, but if my cat had a problem, I'd be taking them to the vet. Better safe then sorry. Next time take the kitten to the vet for treatment.
post #8 of 9
I think you've already gotten the message to not use the OTC de-worming meds (same goes for flea & tick medications, BTW).

But here's why. Apart from being potentially lethal to kitties (or cause illness/discomfort), the OTC "medications" do not KILL the internal parasite. If they do not kill the cat, they cause the cat to expel the parasites ALIVE. This means that your cat is likely to just keep in a cycle of expelling them and becoming reinfected - let alone risking any/all other pets you have to becoming infested with the same parasite.

Vets will use different medications. The most common are Drontal (a pill adminstered once) or Panacur or Strongid-T (both liquids, usually administered over 7 - 10 days). Some round worms are immune to Drontal (a problem around here, in NW NJ). That said, you need to be aware that the "medicine" prescribed by a vet (all "medicines" that kill parasites are actually types of poison at low enough doses to kill the parasite but not the host) only kills the ADULT parasite. The eggs are still in the system. Their life cycle is about 3 weeks, so the medication MUST be administered again in three weeks. Then you should wait three more weeks, and take a stool sample to the vet to make sure that all the round worm is gone. You may have to administer the meds again.

While trying to get rid of the round worm from kitty, scoop the litter boxes as frequently as you can (multiple times a day if possible), and completely empty them and bleach the boxes each week. It's a pain in the butt - but it's much more of a pain-in-the-butt to have to de-worm two (or more) cats over six months or more.

Good luck!

post #9 of 9

You've been given awesome advice here. If I were you, I'd make an appointment with the Vet and have your kitty properly treated that way. As others have said, the OTC (which means "over the counter" (store bought)) deworming meds are useless and often toxic. How Hartz is even still in business in beyond me, how scary. When I walk down the pet food aisle of a grocery store and I see their flea collars and other products I cringe and am tempted to post a note saying "do not buy, this stuff is poison!"

If your kitty threw up the food you fed after giving the paste, chances are kitty also threw up the paste.

How are you sure it's round worm? If I were you, I'd collect a fresh poop sample in a ziploc bag and take it into the Vet for them to check, or if you see any of the worms (I believe roundworms look like spaghetti?), put them in an empty pill bottle and take into Vet with you to show; then Vet can prescribe the proper medication (as others here have suggested). Don't think for a moment that the stuff you gave today will have been effective, it won't have, I'm afraid.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Hartz Ultra Guard Rid Worm Paste