Caught mom but not kittens, should I let her go?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, folks!

Yesterday, I caught an abandoned female cat. She has three, maybe four kittens (of a litter of six or seven) and the neighborhood guess is that they are two to three months old. I took momma to be de-wormed and FELV/FIV tested by a local animal shelter (negative, thank goodness), but I have been completely unsuccessful at getting any of the kittens (I'm using a have-a-heart trap with tuna in it).

Should I keep trying to catch them, or should I let momma go in case they still need her and re-trap her later? My desire is to foster/socialize the little guys until they are ready for adoption, but, obviously, the longer they're on their own, the more difficult that will become. Mom is skittish and doesn't let folks get too close to her when she's on the loose, but after spending just one night in my house, comes right up to me (as long as I move slowly) and rubs on me and purrs. The shelter folks think she may already be pregnant again and I really don't want to put her through the whole release/live on her own/catch and de-worm/retest effort again, but winter's coming on and I can't see her current kittens surviving. Actually, I don't see them surviving without human help, whether momma's with them or not. The winters in Massachusetts can get pretty nasty, and none of her kittens from last year survived.

What would those of you who are experienced in this arena do? Let her go so she can return to the remainder of her current litter, or keep her and just keep trying to catch the kittens?

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keep and fix her, and keep trying to trap the lil ones! Put a blanket or beach towel around the trap, and if they haven't been fed, they should go in there!
But I wouldn't let her go! Can you drop trap the kittens? you could even get a fishing net, one with a handle, or just a net and drop it on them, then
have a carrier ready to put them in so they don't go crazy on you! If the kittens are 2 to 4 mos they are old enough not to really need her, of course they need her but you know what I mean!?! Just keep trying, cause if they are hungry enough they will go in! I would wash the trap first with soap and water, and if you have a towel or something with their mama's scent on it you could even use that to put inside the trap along w/food! and put a towel to cover the trap on the outside! Good Luck and I'll be waiting to see what happens! Thanks for caring about these babes!!!

Monique

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you know where the littles are?

Of course, catching as big kittens as these arent easy... you could use the mom as bait to get them into the trap?? mom + good smelling food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens are crazy wild; there's no getting anywhere close to them. *sigh*

I'm glad I've got the momma off the streets, but, really, it was the kittens I was hoping to help the most. Momma just needs a home, but the kittens need to be socialized soon or they'll likely be either dead or ferals for life.

I will keep trying to catch them, thanks!

A.C.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With catching both me and Carwashcat mean catching with a humane trap. As you yourself say, it is not easy to catch them by running after them...
Easier with a trap. Something good as bait, and perhaps also the mother.
(mother in a transport box behind the trap. Covered all over save from the trap - so she will be seen only through the trap).

By the way, mother is apparently no ferale. She is stray or abandoned. Although she is one of these who managed OK.

Ps. As you know where they are, it may be best to try to trap them as it is.

Otherwise, if you dont know where they are, it would be best to release the mother - they kittens are more or less helpless.
But the time is running....

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
what I have noticed about my ferals, that are only a yr old, if that, who become pg, after they have their babies, they are so immature themselves,
that after the 6 wks, when eyes r open, and walking around good, they simply
leave them and it's like time to fin for yourself! I noticed this from several of the young moms, and whenever I would come to feed, the kittens would see their moms come up and they run to the mama, and the mama's act like "go away" they are not mean to the kittens, but its like the kittens get on their nerves! The kittens will rub up against their mom, and the mom is steadily trying to get away! I feel sorry for the babies! But the world is a tough place! especially the feral world! i honestly believe that the moms were
too young to have kittens, even though they were in heat! anyway, if you know where they are set the trap, covered, by where you believe they are! and hope they go in! I know this too, if the mom is really just a stray and not a feral, those kittens can be socialized, heck they can be socialized even if totally feral, I have a grow mama cat whom after I trapped her and brought her to the vet, she stayed in the cage at the vet for a wk. they didn't even know she was wild, and when i said she was wild, they said no she isn't, she is the sweetiest cat!, and she was pg, too far along to abort, so I took her home put her in the back bedroom and she was awesome! Now to this day, when people come over she will run and hide but she stays right here, and she lets me and my son love on her!

Just set the trap, and leave for about 30 min. if you hang around, they won't go in! like i said before if they are hungry..... they will go in!
let us know!!!
Monique

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe the kittens are too young to catch food on their own, too young to even eat solid foods, and the momma's teats are swollen with milk. I believe that if I keep the momma kitty, I'll be killing the kittens that are already on the ground; and I can't do that.

I've been unsuccessfully trying to catch the kittens for over 24 hours now, using tuna and cat food, and they've got to be very hungry little babies at this point. So, scared as I was of trying to pick momma kitty up and put her back in the carrier, that's exactly what I've just done (thank you God for not letting her shred me to bits!!). I brought the carrier with momma in it to where the kittens are hanging out, put her at one end of the trap and then covered both the carrier and most of the trap with a blanket. I'll check on her every hour or so until I catch all the kittens; I'll stay up all night if I have to.

But if this doesn't work, I'm letting the mother go. I know that'll void my contract with the shelter, but I can't be responsible for the death of the kittens I set out to help! Besides, the possibility exists that I'll be able to catch and/or tame both the mother and the kittens by using regular feedings, etc., where, if I keep her now, I'll be killing the kittens for sure.

Everyone please pray that I catch those scared and hungry little babies tonight!!!!!

Thank you.

A.C.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whoot!! One down, two more to go!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whooo! Try putting the kitten in the carrier w/mommy at the back of the trap like you had it. Other kittens might get the courage to get in the trap.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Praise the Lord, I caught another one!! Only one more to go!!!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And mas uno makes three!!!!

The entire family is now safe and sound in an extra bedroom. I guess I should change the title of this thread, now, eh?

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great job!!!! I'm so glad you got all of them, and that they will be safe and sound with mom for the winter. Bless you for not giving up on them. Keep us updated!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing my pleasure, everyone! I'm so tickled I can hardly stand myself. LOL!

The mother won't let me touch her now (who can blame her after I scruffed her, dropped her in a scary crate and left her outside for hours?!), but I know she'll come around in time. And, wow!!! one of the kittens actually came out and watched me while I watched the momma cat eat her dinner this evening! He/she is one scruffy, messed-up looking kitten, but very, very brave.

I think I'll name the mother Lucinda, Lucy for short, and name the kittens, Larry, Moe and Curly. At least until I can get close enough to sex the little furballs. *grin*

Lucinda...

Curly, the brave little kitten...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Curly' s pic needs a cuteness alert
he looks soooo MaineCoon...I agree with StefanZ, your rescue efforts surely had Heaven's blessings

Sending mega prayers & vibes that all continues to go well I am so happy for you all!!!

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went from crying
to laughing
reading this thread, one two three! I am
so glad this came with a great ending !!!!!
that babe is so
adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want him/her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
naw, I have plenty! Keep us posted! GREAT JOB!!!!

Monique

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAYYYY!

I am SOOOOOO glad you got them with not much fuss. Just make sure you put any fragile stuff away from them.... ferals are pretty good at tearing a house down, lol.

BTW, momma & baby are soooooooooooooooooooo stinkin CUTE!

redsmurf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hooray!

I am so glad you caught all of the kittens! Good for you!
Please keep us updated on their progress!

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great thread. I'm in Massachusetts too. Western MA,,,,,where are you? The momma and kitty are beautiful. what do the other 2 look like?