He paws my bed frantically - like digging for gold!

granny2kidscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 1 year old male cat does something that worries me.

Right before we had him neutered (2 months ago) he was sitting on my bed with me, started pawing around in the blankets, and then let loose and peed a full load.

We got him fixed a week later (we had procrastinated). He hasn't done it again, because I flipped the mattress to eliminate the "friendly odor marker".

BUT NOW he is obsessed with pawing my bed. Not scratching with nails, just pawing frantically like he's digging a hole. He does it just on the bare sheet, not the blanket. It's like a game for him, and he's playful when he does it, but it reminds me of what he did before he peed. So I'm nervous when he does this!

Is it likely he's going to pee again? Maybe we nipped it in time by getting him neutered? Is this just a common behavior of playful digging (he's an indoor cat only) that he would otherwise do outside? What the heck is going on?

I hate to be paranoid and freak out when I see him pawing frantically, but I'm worried he'll pee all over my bed again.

He has never had any other "accidents" either intentional or not, and he has never sprayed.

What do you think he's doing? Oh, and his favorite game is to make the bed with me. He LOVES it. He also loves to burrow in my comforter and happily hide under there for awhile.

If he pees on THIS side of the mattress then I'm gonna be really ticked.

Thank you in advance...I'm new here and found this forum JUST to ask this question, but couldn't find it addressed when I did a thread search.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lily does that too - she finds it great fun. Hopefully, Riley won't pee again, but to set your mind at rest, Lily never has done.

She also likes to do the same thing with smooth surfaces like books with glossy pages, the bathtub and the marble floor in the kitchen.

Fingers crossed that it's just become a really good game for Riley and that he's having great fun

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mackerel does this with the couch, and she's never ever peed outside the litterbox.

... Of course, the digging in Mack's case could be because my boyfriend puts his hand under the throw and pretends to be prey for her sometimes. XD

Mack: I knoes therez micies under here somewhere!!!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps a waterproof mattress cover would help put your mind at ease as well. That way if it were to happen again, no liquid would actualy make it to the mattress?

Leslie

mrphil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds normal to me. All three of my cats do this not only to the sheets, but also my belly! I think it is simply a comfort thing. As far as the peeing thing... I have no clue about that.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

Perhaps a waterproof mattress cover would help put your mind at ease as well. That way if it were to happen again, no liquid would actualy make it to the mattress?

Leslie
I have a nice one I got at target (it doesn't feel funny or make crinkly sounds) and it gives us peace of mind in case someone decides to become a bed pee-er

That being said, Bella does this all the time. Particularly when she's getting cozy for the night. I have also seen her do it to her kitty bed (knead, purr, knead, purr...) I always figured it was just part of getting snuggy and making her spot smell the way she wants it to.