Cats and food

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it seems my cat weird food tastes are getting worse.
Now I know I need to do everything in my power to keep him from eating human food, but there are times when I just can't get to him in time.

Because of this I was hoping I could get a list of food that could really hurt him and maybe I could find a way of locking these up and making sure he is out of the room when I'm eating them. At the moment the only food I know are big no nos for cats is chocolate.

A list of what he has shown a taste for so far:
green beans,
canned fruit (all kinds)
tuna (of course, and to be fair, when I have tuna I always give the cats the can to lick as a treat, please let me know if this is bad)
peas
cooked pasta
cheese
bread
crackers
and other "cat" things (bugs, cat treats, and cat food dry and wet)

I wish I could let him have some, I always feel bad that he cant eat the "good food" but I know its bad for him...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what food is he eating?? wet ?? dry ?? mix

tuna is not a staple food .. it is if in water a okay treat ..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

what food is he eating?? wet ?? dry ?? mix

tuna is not a staple food .. it is if in water a okay treat ..
he has a blow of dry food to eat when he gets hungry (that he shares with tess) and he gets a can of wet every other day.

I'm sorry I didn't mean I give him his own tuna, just when I open a can of tuna to make a sandwitch I will give the empty can to lick clean. And it is in water, though honestly I never thought about that before

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
is he eating a grain free food??

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

is he eating a grain free food??
I believe so but I'll dig up the wrapping to make sure. I do know its food we get from the vet to help with tess's weight.

globalspot28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

I'm sorry I didn't mean I give him his own tuna, just when I open a can of tuna to make a sandwitch I will give the empty can to lick clean. And it is in water, though honestly I never thought about that before
I sometimes do that as well. When I open the can, he can be all the way on the other side of the house and he comes running by.

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

Because of this I was hoping I could get a list of food that could really hurt him and maybe I could find a way of locking these up and making sure he is out of the room when I'm eating them. At the moment the only food I know are big no nos for cats is chocolate.
If you go to the main Health and Nutrition forum page, there's a sticky at the top with a whole big list of things (including foods) that aren't good for cats. It's really helped me out, since Niko, too, is a human food lover.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174854

It's good to know mine's not the only cat who loves 'hooman carbs' (pasta, crackers, bread, etc.) Niko's newest infatuation are Wheat Thins. The moment he hears the box rattle or the plastic crinkle, he's all trying to stick his head in the box.
Oh, and he'll do anything for a small piece of my croissant. Heh.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beturtlement

If you go to the main Health and Nutrition forum page, there's a sticky at the top with a whole big list of things (including foods) that aren't good for cats. It's really helped me out, since Niko, too, is a human food lover.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174854

It's good to know mine's not the only cat who loves 'hooman carbs' (pasta, crackers, bread, etc.) Niko's newest infatuation are Wheat Thins. The moment he hears the box rattle or the plastic crinkle, he's all trying to stick his head in the box.
Oh, and he'll do anything for a small piece of my croissant. Heh.
oh thank you lol I feel so bad I didn't even think to look there, that is just what I was looking for.

Trust me, your not the only one lol sadly he also has a taste for my blinds....