Anyone have an electric fireplace?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Just wondered what size, and if using it, esp. with the heat, makes your electric bill soar.

I just bought an 18 in. one today. Very nice! I only have the heat on to please the felines! Every time I go into the dining room, I see at least 4 cats in front of it, in various spots (on the table, on the chairs, on the floor near the heat). At first, they were a bit afraid of it, but it took all of 5 minutes for them to learn to like it.

The things I do for those darned cats...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an electric fire place in the center of our living room (it's ment to look just like a real one.) The previous owners had it put in when the house was built. I like the idea of it because I'm very allergic to smoke (even duraflame logs bother me!)

We moved into our house towards the end of last winter, so we've never actually used it before. It's starting to get chilly not so I think soon I will give it a go and see how it does! We have a little silver thing near the fire place that you're supposed to turn to use it. I think that before I use it though I'll get someone out to check the ventilation on it to make sure it's safe and all - I'm not sure if I need to though since it's electric

I'm no help on the energy bill part since we've not used it. Sorry! Your cats sound like they love it

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have one, but I know my kitties would love it if I did! They're the ones with fur coats and both are such wimps! In the winter I open the window and they both run to the other room where the window is closed while I'm naked with the fan going!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I don't have one, but I know my kitties would love it if I did! They're the ones with fur coats and both are such wimps! In the winter I open the window and they both run to the other room where the window is closed while I'm naked with the fan going!!
Didn't the Dursleys have an electric fireplace in Harry Potter?

I considered one back in the days when we didn't have one, but electrical resistance heat is pretty expensive. In fact, although we have a heat pump, I normally just switch our furnace over to "Emergency Heat" in the winter time, because natural gas is less expensive than the heat pump. When we bought the house (new), it had a temperature sensor switch that would automatically change to gas from the heat pump when the temp got down to 45 degrees. That's the point that the gas got more efficient than the heat pump.

But you guys inspired me to go in the living room and turn on the gas log fireplace. Sterling loves it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Didn't the Dursleys have an electric fireplace in Harry Potter?

I considered one back in the days when we didn't have one, but electrical resistance heat is pretty expensive. In fact, although we have a heat pump, I normally just switch our furnace over to "Emergency Heat" in the winter time, because natural gas is less expensive than the heat pump. When we bought the house (new), it had a temperature sensor switch that would automatically change to gas from the heat pump when the temp got down to 45 degrees. That's the point that the gas got more efficient than the heat pump.

But you guys inspired me to go in the living room and turn on the gas log fireplace. Sterling loves it.
We have electric heat with a heat pump, and I was never impressed with it. It doesn*t seem very expensive (to heat a nearly 2000 sq. ft., 2-level house), but it doesn*t seem very efficient, either (of course, I am always cold anyway!). Mom had oil heat, and I think it is the best!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A heat pump works fine, except that it costs as much to run as an airconditioner, which is exactly what it is, running in reverse. The problem with a heat pump is that the air coming out of the vents doesn't feel warm to the skin.

Electrical resistance heating is some of the least efficient heat.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a gas fireplace. It was here when we moved in.
We used it alot last year and it skyrocketed our bills. So we don't use it all that much anymore....

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

We have a gas fireplace. It was here when we moved in.
We used it alot last year and it skyrocketed our bills. So we don't use it all that much anymore....
You can install a "ventless fireplace gas log" in a fireplace that currently has just a gas starter or a vented gas log, and it can be quite efficient. A vented one is mostly for looks.