Well, There's This Cat Outside.......(long)

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been around the neighborhood for about a month, maybe a little longer. It (it because I can't tell if it's a neutered male or a female) has a collar with a bell and is very skittish. I didn't think much about it until about a week and 1/2 ago when I saw it eating bread I'd thrown out for the birds. I took some food out and the poor little thing forgot how scared it was and devoured every bite. It showed up every morning; when I take seed out for the birds it comes crawling under my fence and demands food, which it gets. After a couple of days it let me stroke it; I was appalled! I could feel every rub, every little vertebra, it's hip bones---even it's head felt bony! Now, after getting regular meals, it's starting to fill out a little bit.
I put an ad in our newspaper's lost & found---no calls. I've asked around---no one knows anything. It's obvious to me that this has been a house cat and has no clue how to fend for itself outside, especially with that dumb little bell around it's neck. The last couple of days it's tried to follow me inside after I've fed and played with it a little. It's not a kitten by any means, and is probably several years old, if not more. I've made a nice bed for it, so it's warm & dry.
I called the shelter yesterday; they're so full they can't take it. I thought I'd call the animal warden Monday, but I don't know if I really should. It seems as if no one cared enough to look for it if it has managed to escape it's home unintentionally. No one has called about it. The shape it was in is pathetic.
The bottom line is this---I neither want nor need another cat. I have 5 and have been adamant that this is enough. Then I go outside, and the tiny black beast comes out of it's shelter and meows at me, and has even started rolling over exposing it's belly for me to rub. I have actually called my vet's office, explained things to the office manager, and asked if I could just bring it in when I manage to get it in a carrier to get it looked over. She said no problem.
Three different houses in our neighborhood have had people move out in the last 6 weeks, and I'm afraid someone just went away and left this poor little one behind. (I get a lot of cats that way) They probably thought it could fend for itself; how in the world could it hunt with a bell on it's collar!? DH says it doesn't matter one way or the other to him if I bring it in. If I could find a nice home for it I would; I've asked several people & no one is interested.
I don't know what to do!!!!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know what to say.
We have a problem here with a cat also.
He comes up to me and is always in my yard.
We think he might have been left behind when the house was forclosed.
I have a pic of him and do not know what to do either.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you bring this little kitty inside - and find a group who will fix/vaccinate it....then foster little kitty until s/he is adopted?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Could you bring this little kitty inside - and find a group who will fix/vaccinate it....then foster little kitty until s/he is adopted?
That's my suggestion too. The poor little thing has adopted you. I know for me, I couldn't in good conscience leave her outside.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say to take the kitty in and try to foster it. Any kitty that obviously was once someone's pet is used to people. I think that people say that kitty's like that are highly adoptable. I know Butzie was. She was available for adoption the day before we picked her out, or vice versa.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I could get DH on board with the idea, I'd take in another cat in a heartbeat. But I've had several at once and know it's a huge responsibility. Best wishes for whatever decision you make

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor little baby! I hope you can do something to help him because winter is coming & it will be a rough time for him up there. Please don't harden your heart, it's not his fault.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've got the same issue here. Some of you may remember the family with the aggressive Rottweiler... well, they moved away, and now there's a stray kitty wandering around. I'm putting out food and water, hoping to befriend him.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I may not have the best advice because the last cat who did this has spent the morning dozing on my feet.

Honestly, though, if you can I'd bring him in and look at him as a foster until you can find him a home or maybe a rescue group in your area that would take him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that as much as I don't want to take on the rsponsibility of another cat ( I said that after #4, then Katie showed up
) I"m going to get the little one in a carrier after I feed it tomorrow and get it to my vet for a once-over. If it's the all clear I reckon I've got a new cat. *sigh* The more it eats the better it looks, and the more attention it seems to want from me. I've picked it up and few times and cuddled it and it puts up with that quite well.

My biggest fear at the moment is that it's a female & could be pregnant. I honestly don't know what I'd do then. I assume if that was the case, tho, it would have at least a little pot belly by now and enlarged nipples. I can't feel anything on it's belly, but then again I've never had a pregnant cat. It's little hips and rear are still bony

The temporary home I made for it is a large waste basket on it's side with a nice fluffy rug inside and a towel over the 'entrance' to keep the wind out. The kitty has been in there for 2 solid days; it comes out to see me and to eat, then goes back in.

The only foster program that I'm aware of in my area is the local shelter, and as I said before, they are over-run with cats at the moment. If (when) this kitty comes in, it won't be going anywhere. I could just shake whoever turned it out, tho. No outdoor skills at all, in fact I've got bird feeders all around my patio and the cat isn't remotely interested, almost as if it's never learned to hunt.

Poor little baby! I hope you can do something to help him because winter is coming & it will be a rough time for him up there. Please don't harden your heart, it's not his fault.
Never. I'm already getting attached. I'm just seriously worried that it's sick or, as I said, a possibly pregnant female. Please cross your fingers that it gets a clean bill of health from the vet if I can get it there in the next day or two. (BTW, if it's a female, how does Pearl sound for a name?
)

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that as much as I don't want to take on the rsponsibility of another cat ( I said that after #4, then Katie showed up
) I"m going to get the little one in a carrier after I feed it tomorrow and get it to my vet for a once-over. If it's the all clear I reckon I've got a new cat. *sigh* The more it eats the better it looks, and the more attention it seems to want from me. I've picked it up and few times and cuddled it and it puts up with that quite well.

My biggest fear at the moment is that it's a female & could be pregnant. I honestly don't know what I'd do then. I assume if that was the case, tho, it would have at least a little pot belly by now and enlarged nipples. I can't feel anything on it's belly, but then again I've never had a pregnant cat. It's little hips and rear are still bony

The temporary home I made for it is a large waste basket on it's side with a nice fluffy rug inside and a towel over the 'entrance' to keep the wind out. The kitty has been in there for 2 solid days; it comes out to see me and to eat, then goes back in.

The only foster program that I'm aware of in my area is the local shelter, and as I said before, they are over-run with cats at the moment. If (when) this kitty comes in, it won't be going anywhere. I could just shake whoever turned it out, tho. No outdoor skills at all, in fact I've got bird feeders all around my patio and the cat isn't remotely interested, almost as if it's never learned to hunt.

Never. I'm already getting attached. I'm just seriously worried that it's sick or, as I said, a possibly pregnant female. Please cross your fingers that it gets a clean bill of health from the vet if I can get it there in the next day or two. (BTW, if it's a female, how does Pearl sound for a name?
)
Sounds like you've got yourself another little lover to me!
I'm glad you are thinking of helping this poor little kitty out. Poor thing, I don't think it'd make it with out your help.