Looking for sweaters for our Sphynx

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of a good place to order sweaters/shirts for cats? I'd like to get a few for Sprout. We've tried a couple that we bought at Petsmart, but it seems like the ones that are long enough are huge around his neck and legs. (I assume that's because they are meant for dogs with deeper chests.) Is there someone out there who designs pet clothes with the cat's body shape in mind?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I googled cat sweaters and most of the sites I found have one or two (kind of ugly) cat sweaters and a whole bunch of dog sweaters. Have you thought about trying one that's made for a dachshund?

I did find one pattern for knitting a cat sweater. If you can hold Sprout still long enough to measure him, I could make a custom-fit sweater for you.

Here's the link http://www.christinelandry.com/?cat=7
It looks like it can be made either sleeveless or long-sleeved.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little dog clothes work best for my Sphynx.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I can not help you but I need a few for my Sphynx that I am getting next month.
I am afraid she will be cold.
Fido fleece for small dogs works well. You can find it cheap online in sales.
Also, get your kitty at least one heating pad, or heated cat bed. This is so important to their well being.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Fido fleece for small dogs works well. You can find it cheap online in sales.
I found lots of sites that sell the Fido Fleece. I'm trying to figure out which size would be best. Sprout measures about 15" from neck to tail, and 10" around at the chest where the site says to measure. (His belly is 14" at its biggest point, though.)

Size 12 measurements are 13" length/17" girth. Size 14 is 15" length/20.5" girth. Do you think I should go with size 12 or 14? I wonder if there is a local shop that sells these so I could eyeball the size before I buy them.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We found jackets for Bijou and Mika at Old Navy. Bijou has a puffy fibre-filled one that looks like daddy's jacket and Mika has a little knitted one. Bijou is over 18 pounds and Mika is about 8 so if I can find coats to fit them you should be able to find some that would fit your kitties.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I googled cat sweaters and most of the sites I found have one or two (kind of ugly) cat sweaters and a whole bunch of dog sweaters. Have you thought about trying one that's made for a dachshund?

I did find one pattern for knitting a cat sweater. If you can hold Sprout still long enough to measure him, I could make a custom-fit sweater for you.

Here's the link http://www.christinelandry.com/?cat=7
It looks like it can be made either sleeveless or long-sleeved.
Aww... that is the cutest thing ever!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

I found lots of sites that sell the Fido Fleece. I'm trying to figure out which size would be best. Sprout measures about 15" from neck to tail, and 10" around at the chest where the site says to measure. (His belly is 14" at its biggest point, though.)

Size 12 measurements are 13" length/17" girth. Size 14 is 15" length/20.5" girth. Do you think I should go with size 12 or 14? I wonder if there is a local shop that sells these so I could eyeball the size before I buy them.
I don't have a male. I get 8 or 9 in size and it works very well. I will check the tag. Lots of speciality stores sell these coats so you can eyeball them. That is a good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I found some at Petco that seem to work! We actually took Sprout to the store with us to try them on because I couldn't tell which size to get.
I was afraid he would really freak out, but he was so good. The other cats seem a bit perplexed by Sprout's new wardrobe though. I thought Bastian was going to try to pull the sweater off of him!

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to admit I ave not read each and every response but just wanted to say there are a variety of patterns if you or someone you knows knits, thee are places you can buy them and depending on the size of the cats, even small dog sweaters can work. Also, a dollar store in Canada (which is not far from where I grew up in Vt) called Dollarama has the cutest sweaters for toy bears that are absolutely perfect for sphynxes. They come in all colors and have sayings like Angel and Baby and there was a Maple Leaf one.

Good luck!