Do any of you know how to remove an ink pen stain from beige carpet?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do any of you know how to remove an ink pen stain from carpet? I woke up this morning to find ink all over my dining room carpet (and the evidence of a chewed up ink pen as well)...apparently one of the cats got on the counter (where they're not allowed!!!!) and knocked down an ink pen.I'm guessing at that point one of the dogs saw it and chewed it up. I checked everyone's mouths and fur but couldn't see any ink on any of them. (The dogs absolutely do not jump on the counter, so I know they didn't jump up and get it....but if something falls in the floor and i'm not in to give them a command, they think it's fair game
) Unforutnately, the stain has had several hours to set in I think. It's proving very difficult to remove. To make matters worse, my carpet is cream so this really stands out! (It was put in by the previous owners who didn't have animals).

This is what I've tried so far unsuccessfully: Oxy Clean, Rubbing Alcohol, Goo Gone, Goof Off, Woolite Pod, Dish Soap, (I've tried both blotting and rubbing).....NOTHHING is working!!!! Any ideas please???

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Resolve."

Although, with so much already being used, I don't know if it'll work. It's worked for me if it's the first thing I put on it, and I put it on right after the stain has been made.

Hmmm......I know there's something else I've tried. Let me think.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this by Googling it....somebody on "Answers.com" or something like that.

1) vinegar and baking soda...
then a few minutes later
2) scrubbing the stain with oxyclean powder
then a few minutes later....
3) taking my bleach pen and mixing it with water and leaving it on the stain for a few minutes...
4)scrubbing the carpet with soap and water... then let the towel absorb all the water thats in the carpet.
5)then, spray the carpet with Oxy Spray and let it sit there.

Or someone also said spray hairspray on it and blot with a clean dry towel.

Good luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

brake cleaner would take it off i dont know if it would damage the carpet though
Brake Cleaner? Humm I could see if DH has some in the garage. It might be worth a shot if nothing else will work. I think I'll try that one last though just because I'm not sure if it'll tear up the carpet or not

Originally Posted by nanner

"Resolve."

Although, with so much already being used, I don't know if it'll work. It's worked for me if it's the first thing I put on it, and I put it on right after the stain has been made.

Hmmm......I know there's something else I've tried. Let me think.
I will go out and buy some today if I can't get it up with anything else. Maybe I should let it dry for a bit before I try to use it?

Originally Posted by twstychik

I've heard hairspray works?!
Hair Spray? Really? I'm off to try that now!

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Resolve works for me, but not sure after it being treated already with other things - maybe hide it with a rug?
I'm going to go out and get some Resolve if I can't get the stain out with anything else I have at home.

Unfortunately, hiding it with a rug isn't an option. The stain is on the very border of the room where a rug won't reach, so I can't do that.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

brake cleaner would take it off i dont know if it would damage the carpet though
Just a little update- I got DH to get the break cleaner out for me- I'm going to give that a try in a few minutes after I see if the hairspray will work.

Originally Posted by nanner

I found this by Googling it....somebody on "Answers.com" or something like that.

1) vinegar and baking soda...
then a few minutes later
2) scrubbing the stain with oxyclean powder
3) taking my bleach pen and mixing it with water and leaving it on the stain for a few minutes...
4)scrubbing the carpet with soap and water... then let the towel absorb all the water thats in the carpet.
5)then, spray the carpet with Oxy Spray and let it sit there.

Or someone also said spray hairspray on it and blot with a clean dry towel.

Good luck!!!
Thanks! I'll try this one in a little while if the break cleaner and hair spray don't work.

I'm kind of scared to use my bleach pen on the carpet though, it's not white carpet, it's beige, and that for sure will ruine it I think
I already attempted to use Oxyclean Spray earlier and that didn't get it up. Vinegar and baking soda I haven't tried yet though- I'll give that one a try soon. Any ideas if it's a 50/50 mixture of that one?

I'm off to see if the hairspray will work!

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hairspray or alcohol will work really well. It may take several attempts to spray and blot spray and blot but it should come up.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
brake cleaner is great we have used it for alsorts of stains so fingers crossed it will work for you

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAIRSPRAY WORKED!!!!!

Thanks you guys for all the help! I really appreciate it!

That bottle of White Rain is worth the entire dollar I paid for it at the dollar store
(It was White Rain Unscented Extra Hold for reference if any of you ever get in that situation- it worked really well!!!) I just spayed the floor ...well saturated it really and blotted it a ton and just repeated until it was gone! I'm soo glad it worked! My carpet wound up with more hair spray on it than an 80's hair band, but it worked!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

My carpet wound up with more hair spray on it than an 80's hair band, but it worked!!!
Just make sure to get all the hairspray up as it's tacky and you'd end up with dirt sticking to that area.

For future reference. There's nowhere a cat isn't allowed to go. The minute your back is turned they'll be up on or in something. Best to go with it and just cat proof.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

HAIRSPRAY WORKED!!!!!

That bottle of White Rain is worth the entire dollar I paid for it at the dollar store
(It was White Rain Unscented Extra Hold for reference if any of you ever get in that situation- it worked really well!!!) I just spayed the floor ...well saturated it really and blotted it a ton and just repeated until it was gone! I'm soo glad it worked! My carpet wound up with more hair spray on it than an 80's hair band, but it worked!!!
Good to know it really does work! Now, keep all candles and flames away from that area for awhile.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

HAIRSPRAY WORKED!!!!!

Glad you found THE solution.
Hairspray is a miracle worker on ink stains. I learned that ages ago, when my Mum was still working in an office (she retired 35 years ago!) and was really bad for getting ink on her clothes. But she never worried about it, because hairspray was the charm.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm late to the game but I've used hair spray on ink before and it's wonderful! Glad someone else suggested it to you!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys!
Ya'll are soo helpful!
I told my DH about the hairspray trick and he thought it was pretty funny that white rain worked better than any of those expensive cleaners we have

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

For future reference. There's nowhere a cat isn't allowed to go. The minute your back is turned they'll be up on or in something. Best to go with it and just cat proof.
Yeah, cats have as much conscience as a teenager.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes! I once got a huge patch of ballpoint ink on a faux-suede skirt that I'd made myself, so I was highly motivated to salvage it. It took a half-can of hairspray, and repeated rinsing and reapplication, rinsing and reapplication... but it worked perfectly!