new question and update...

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I posted in another thread that I saw one of my 8 missing cats. Today I saw 2 black ones!!! They look much bigger - but im assuming even though i thought before they were full grown - that they were not and have since grown. I did think for a second maybe they were NEW cats. But i doubt it. So good news!! So Ive found 3 of the missing 8!!!

The only problem - I found them back in the first yard - the place ive been moving all the cats from and the place where if I get ONE more complaint - the condo board will be on me again. They may want them taken away at this point.

Should I feed them in that first yard again and then quickly move the food to where the new food is now???
When I found them in the first yard I walked to where the food is and they actually followed me!!!!! But then on my way to work - there was one back in that yard again. They can NOT be there.

I will try the pepper again in that yard as well. (it has been raining for the last few days.)

THANKS

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are doing such an awesome job. The cats are so lucky to have you on their side.

My limited experience would be to not feed them in the old place. Keep your routine in the new spot. If they are following you, I wonder if you could move away from the old spot some distance and then drop a treat of two on your way back to the new feeding spot. Just throwing out a thought.

Glad to hear some are showing up again. We had a colony that we had to relocate because of construction. Had to trap and move to another town, only choice we had. We tought most were gone because we only saw a few at the times we feed. Well, when we trapped we found the others were coming out way later in the night. We just never saw them at the times we there. Hoping that they are just changing schedules. It's hard not to be concerned.

Best to you and all your efforts.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

You are doing such an awesome job. The cats are so lucky to have you on their side.

My limited experience would be to not feed them in the old place. Keep your routine in the new spot. If they are following you, I wonder if you could move away from the old spot some distance and then drop a treat of two on your way back to the new feeding spot. Just throwing out a thought.

Glad to hear some are showing up again. We had a colony that we had to relocate because of construction. Had to trap and move to another town, only choice we had. We tought most were gone because we only saw a few at the times we feed. Well, when we trapped we found the others were coming out way later in the night. We just never saw them at the times we there. Hoping that they are just changing schedules. It's hard not to be concerned.

Best to you and all your efforts.
I absolutely agree.

I'm so glad you've seen some of them!
Hang in there - good to know they're fine.

Continued vibes for you and the kitties!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks...

I just took a very long walk - first I saw a possum (i know that is spelled wrong) hanging out by the food dish. So - there goes my hope that I was just feeding cats. Possums will eat cat food- right? My neighbor just told me 2 stories of raccoons and skunk not just eating cat food but eating alongside the cats.

I then saw 2 different cats in that first yard. A month ago i was told there were no more complaints from that building - so I dont know if there are less cats are they are heading back there to hang out. So I definitely have to get a deterent fast. Im thinking of seeing if my local pet supply store carries that coyote pee.... Will THAT however get complaints from the smell???

But I did leave a trail of food as suggested (thanks). I had my dog at the time and she ate some as it fell to the ground - but I think I got a good amount.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, possums, skunks and raccoons will eat cat food.
If it's a serious problem, you may have to consider building something like this: http://www.thewildones.net/raccoons.htm

We just put up a slated table that had the legs inset a little bit. That cut down on the amount of food we had to put out. Kittens can't get to it, but cats can. We also stopped using the feeder, and put the food out at dawn and dusk for 1 hour each.

Laurie

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WOW - Ill have to pass this info on to my bf - although I doubt hes ready to build something else for these cats.
Still have to get their winter housing into the woods - not looking forward to that move.

Do you know where I can get a motion detection camera?? I actually was thinking about that this morning - I really want to see what Im feeding.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you can't build a feeder, you can feed the possume and raccoon
what they like, rather than kitty chow. Coons and possum
like fruit, seeds and nuts and corn. Wayyy more than cat chow, LOL.

So some squirel chow (find at a bird feed store or pet store) plus
dried fruits and yes, PEANUT BUTTER, LOL... will keep the coon
happy n out of your cats food.

I feed a coon on my deck and 3 possum, plus my cats...

The coon and possum came for the cat food, but I leave
out apples with peanut butter, pears and windfall fruits
(apples from the farm that are wind falls), seeds and
raisin, and dried corn. That seems to satisfy em alot...

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Opilot, for the tips for racoon food. A racoon comes to the feeding station where I feed our office cat. By then there is only dry food left but if I can put out something else for him, maybe he will not eat whatever dry food is left. We make sure our cat has canned food first thing in the morning so at least we know he is the only one eating that.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THANKS THANKS THANKS

That is a great idea to feed the other animals as well. I thought about it - and I want to help them too. And this is good becaues then I know all the cats are getting food. Maybe thats why some of them are in different areas now????

So I can just make a separate feeding place (which is really just 2 bowls of water and food a few feet apart).

Should I feed the wildlife farther off or nearby????

And that would be any kind of nuts and seeds???? Water as well???

Thanks also for the tip on the camera - I REALLY am curious as to who is there and when.

michele