Another random litter box problem!

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was outdoors most of the summer, and we brought him in a few weeks ago cos it's too cold for him now. He usually attempts to use the litter tray but frequently misses. The day before yesterday I cleaned up after him 6 times. I have no clue what the problem is. He uses his tray once, then refuses to use it again. Don't get me wrong, it gets completely emptied once a day, and scooped as often as I can. But the horrible little runt has started pooing on the kitchen floor, on the opposite side of the room to his tray! It's really getting to me. He's a horrible cat anyway, he doesn't clean his bum after himself, and he flicks his poo everywhere, like three feet away from wherever he decided to squat. To be honest, and I never thought I'd say this, I'm thinking of getting rid of him. I can't tolerate cleaning up 6 messes a day, as well as wiping his bum which he HATES. He's also up on the worktops every chance he gets - we have to cover it in paper because otherwise, he could be leaving poo particles everywhere if he gets up in the middle of the night before I have the chance to clean his bum.
So not happy with him at the moment, so any advice would be welcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what we do. Otherwise he'd be leaving poo everywhere! We shut him in the kitchen unless we're there, in which case we sometimes have him on our knee in the lounge.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a covered litter box? Maybe he'd like more privacy and rushes to finish therefore making a mess......just a thought. Also, maybe try adding another litter box.......some kitties dont like to poo and pee in the same box. They can be picky little buggers.

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something is wrong with your kitty. Cats don't generally walk around with poop all over their bums or dragging it around on the kitchen counters.

Worms. Anal glands. Something sounds amiss here and may be the root cause of your issue.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hwc

Something is wrong with your kitty. Cats don't generally walk around with poop all over their bums or dragging it around on the kitchen counters.

Worms. Anal glands. Something sounds amiss here and may be the root cause of your issue.
IOW: Get him to the vet for a check-up!

Also, if he checks out at the vet and gets a clean bill of health is there anyway you could set him up with an outdoor shelter so he doesn't have to be confined when the weather turns cold?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's been checked out by the vet several times. He got wormed in June, so he is due for another one, but it doesn't seem to help anyway. There's no sign of worms in his poo, and it's not 'abnormal' in its form. The vets have said he's 'just mucky'. They said he's probably an inbred so he's lacking some of the basic kitty skills. He does have an outdoor shelter, but other cats pee in it so he won't use it unless absolutely necessary. We're thinking of getting one of those katkabins, but can't afford one right now.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an inbred kitty too... I guess I lucked out, mine LOVES the litter box but has psychotic episodes.
Aside from different litter box options (more, different boxes, different litter) I'm not sure what else you could do while you save up for the katkabin. In the mean time think about this. If you "get rid" of him the most likely result is a shelter where because of his LB behavior, he'll most likely be euthanized. If you can deal with it until he can be a permanant outdoor kitty then you'll essentially be saving his life.