Force/assist feeding, I feel awful

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've made a few other posts about Arthur, his vet appt. yesterday didnt tell us much, maybe a diseased liver, maybe just a virus. But he isnt eating at all. So I got out the food processor, the Iams and some water and made what now looks like a chocolate shake (Im picking up some Hills liver food tomorrow). So anyhow, I was hoping for a little support, Arthur looks just miserable, even worse than before. I've given him about 50cc today and Im giving his tummy a few hours break. I just feel so bad, I cant even get a little tiny purr out of him

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Arthur. I hope the force feeding helps until the vet can figure out something better. My Sammy died of liver cancer. While he was on prenisolone, he did well. Not great, but better. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry you are going through that. Force feeding is so so hard. Kismet had to be force fed for 3+ months due to liver failure and it was awful, she pulled through though because of the force feeding. As terrible as it is, remember you are saving his life doing it. Take your time, small frequent feeds....... warm up the food a little bit, talk to him the whole time and tell him you love him and it's for his own good. It got me through it......

The vet probably did this, but if you look at the skin by his ears check if it's yellow. If it is it might be liver problems, which makes the cat nauseous and unable to eat. Did the vet do bloodwork, that should also indicate if it's the liver....

Good luck to you, and keep us updated.
PM me if you need any advice.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you were able to get Arthur in to see the vet again. The bloodwork should be back soon (hopefully tomorrow) and that could help narrow down what's going on.

Please take a look at this site: www.assistfeed.com
Click on the link at the bottom of the page where it says Yahoo Feline Assist-Feeding Group

I've been assist feeding (not force feeding) my oldest kitty for a long time. That site was very helpful to me. Don't feel bad about feeding him this way. You're getting him through a rough time right now; he needs nutrition, period. You might try MAX CAL by Eukanuba. It's a very high calorie canned food, meant for syringe feeding. It's carried by vets. If your vet doesn't carry it, have him write you a prescription for it and call around to other vets until you find one who has it. It's not the most high quality food (it contains by-products and a preservative), but on a temporary basis it's very useful. My cat was on it for several months and I believe it helped save her life, since like Arthur, she'd suffered significant weight loss.

It's good that you're waiting a few hours between feedings to let his body process the food. It also gives the liver a break.

Is Arthur drinking on his own? You want to avoid dehydration at all costs.
Did your vet check for this? It makes cats feel miserable and is dangerous if not alleviated.

Hang in there, you're doing a good job. Just keep encouraging Arthur and giving him lots of reassurance (even though you're worried) by sticking to as normal a routine as possible for him.

Lots of good wishes to you & your handsome boy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys

Arthur isnt doing at all well today, he's weak and not drinking as much, but that's probably because he's drinking his food through a syringe. Im hoping to get him to the vet for an IV later today, but I have to work until one (AHH). I will be PMing one or two of you but I just wanted to post real quickly before I leave for work. His eyes/mouth arent yellow but his blood was, it only took 15 minutes for the blood. The vet said it wasnt conclusive. Some levels were slightly high, some slightly low so we just dont know. He's so lethargic that I cant help but be in tears most of the day, but it's amazing to hear that some of you have been assist feeding for an extended period, this gives me hope
I'll keep you all posted.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm sorry to hear arthur isn't having a good day. i have no advice but wanted to send tons of for your precious boy and
for you.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you're taking him back to the vets later though aren't you? try and take comfort from some of the posts on here about very sick kitties that have pulled through.

where there's life there's hope.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

I decided to check his ears before I head out the door, they are quite yellow (except for the tips)
Im so worried
I'm sorry! but no matter what happens don't give up hope. The best thing I can reccomend is going to this site and joining.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/

Let us know what the vet says and just know that you are doing the best you can for your baby

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I decided to check his ears before I head out the door, they are quite yellow (except for the tips)
Im so worried
You should get Arthur to the vet ASAP. The yellow ears are a sign of jaundice, which could be due to many things: liver disease, feline leukemia, feline peritonitis.

If your vet can't figure out what's causing Arthur's illness, please get a second opinion.

Let us know as soon as you can how he's doing. All good wishes to you and your boy.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just got back from the vet. I got a different vet this time (who I actually liked better), and he told me that the blood work said something different from what the regular vet told me, so Im a little upset and unhappy about that. It's his liver though. We gave him sub-q fluids and I brought the bag home so I can give him more tomorrow. I'm also going back to pick up my liver food tomorrow but until then it's just the Iams. The vet said he could be getting worse before he gets better, and not to give up hope yet (he also said dont cry
) I just wondered though, he got a pretty big shot of B12, and that's why his pee is so yellow but I wonder if it could have turned his skin a little yellow too. They said to keep doing what we're doing, with the feeding and just to keep an eye on him, and that it could take several weeks to see progress. Thanks so much for all the vibes guys. I've been in tears most of the day but Im really trying to be positive

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
stick with this vet. He's right, it'll probably get worse before it'll get better. And I say it's OK to cry, just try not to be too emotional when feeding, and don't give up hope. You have tons of support!
for arthur....

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The skin yellowing is from the liver and not the b-12. You are doing a great job. Positive eating vibes and I hope you see some good progress soon

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you got another opinion from a vet you like.

There are many different types of liver problems - was this vet able to narrow down what might be going on with Arthur? There are several liver values on the bloodwork that give the vet information. Depending on what kind of liver disease, there are meds Arthur could be taking that might help him. That's why it's really important to know exactly what you're dealing with.

There's a very good natural supplement that you could give Arthur called milk thistle. It's been proven to be beneficial to ailing livers - human patients with liver disease take it. The kind I use is from Enzymatic Therapy (www.enzy.com) and is called Silybin Phytosome. The milk thistle in this product is combined with something called phosphatidylcholine which helps the body absorb the silybin in the milk thistle - the most important component. Make sure to use a milk thistle product that has this in it. The capsules I buy are meant for humans so I open them and fill a #3 gel cap for my cat. She gets one per day (with a pill gun, followed by water.) Don't add the milk thistle to food - it's very bitter. Milk thistle is extremely safe to use.

The fluids will help Arthur feel much better. Your vet may have already told you this, but make sure to warm the bag first (run warm water into sink and let bag sit in it about 10 min., test to check fluid temperature). Warm fluids are much nicer for a kitty.

Please keep us updated. Kisses to Arthur

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot guys, your support really means so much to me

Originally Posted by KTLynn

I'm so glad you got another opinion from a vet you like.

There are many different types of liver problems - was this vet able to narrow down what might be going on with Arthur? There are several liver values on the bloodwork that give the vet information. Depending on what kind of liver disease, there are meds Arthur could be taking that might help him. That's why it's really important to know exactly what you're dealing with.

There's a very good natural supplement that you could give Arthur called milk thistle. It's been proven to be beneficial to ailing livers - human patients with liver disease take it. The kind I use is from Enzymatic Therapy (www.enzy.com) and is called Silybin Phytosome. The milk thistle in this product is combined with something called phosphatidylcholine which helps the body absorb the silybin in the milk thistle - the most important component. Make sure to use a milk thistle product that has this in it. The capsules I buy are meant for humans so I open them and fill a #3 gel cap for my cat. She gets one per day (with a pill gun, followed by water.) Don't add the milk thistle to food - it's very bitter. Milk thistle is extremely safe to use.

The fluids will help Arthur feel much better. Your vet may have already told you this, but make sure to warm the bag first (run warm water into sink and let bag sit in it about 10 min., test to check fluid temperature). Warm fluids are much nicer for a kitty.

Please keep us updated. Kisses to Arthur
I'd been wondering about Milk Thistle! There is a store in the town where my vet is and Ill be sure to stop tomorrow and see if they have it. I might end up getting any milk thistle with the phosphatidylcholine in it, if they dont have that particular brand in stock. Although I wonder if I should be cautious of giving milk thistle and the liver pill my vet has me on...hmm. Thanks a million

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'd been wondering about Milk Thistle! There is a store in the town where my vet is and Ill be sure to stop tomorrow and see if they have it. I might end up getting any milk thistle with the phosphatidylcholine in it, if they dont have that particular brand in stock. Although I wonder if I should be cautious of giving milk thistle and the liver pill my vet has me on...hmm. Thanks a million
Any milk thistle with phosphatidylcholine will do. I order the product I mentioned to you because no one in my area keeps that particular one in stock.

My cat's on several meds, including meds for the liver and for kidneys. The milk thistle, because it's a very mild supplement, is safe to use with other meds. I've had my girl on it for years with my vet's approval. Talk with your vet, I'm sure he'll say it's fine. BTW, what's the liver pill your vet gave you?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arthur's on Denamarin (I thinkI spelled that right). They're fairly big, and blue.

Edit:
I just looked it up and this is what I found! Im glad Im not giving him something completely chemical!
"...Denamarin also helps support your pet's liver through the administration of silybin. Silybin is the most active part of an extract from milk thistle known as silymarin."

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Arthur's on Denamarin (I thinkI spelled that right). They're fairly big, and blue.

Edit:
I just looked it up and this is what I found! Im glad Im not giving him something completely chemical!
"...Denamarin also helps support your pet's liver through the administration of silybin. Silybin is the most active part of an extract from milk thistle known as silymarin."
Yep, my girl's on Denamarin as well. I was going to mention that to you, too.

I give her the additional milk thistle because the amount of silybin in Denamarin is very low. After doing research, and consulting with a few vets, I started giving more milk thistle.

You can do the Denamarin and the additional milk thistle cap together, or you can alternate them each day. I would give Arthur both right now, especially since his liver is acting up at the moment. Just make sure to follow any pills you give him with at least 5cc of water, given 1cc at a time, to ensure the pill does not lodge in the throat. That's important.

Also make sure that Arthur is pooping each day, or at least on a schedule that you know is normal for him. Pooping is an indication of liver function so you want to make sure he's going and that it looks normal.

Did your vet give you any idea of what he thinks is wrong with Arthur's liver?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

Yep, my girl's on Denamarin as well. I was going to mention that to you, too.

I give her the additional milk thistle because the amount of silybin in Denamarin is very low. After doing research, and consulting with a few vets, I started giving more milk thistle.

You can do the Denamarin and the additional milk thistle cap together, or you can alternate them each day. I would give Arthur both right now, especially since his liver is acting up at the moment. Just make sure to follow any pills you give him with at least 5cc of water, given 1cc at a time, to ensure the pill does not lodge in the throat. That's important.

Also make sure that Arthur is pooping each day, or at least on a schedule that you know is normal for him. Pooping is an indication of liver function so you want to make sure he's going and that it looks normal.

Did your vet give you any idea of what he thinks is wrong with Arthur's liver?
I'll see if I can talk to the vet again today about extra milk thistle. I've been rubbing his pills in a little butter, and then giving him a little water to make sure they do go down. The vet didnt say what he thought might be wrong, he said do get a definite diagnosis we'd have to do a ultrasound and biopsy, and I dont want to do that yet.
Arthur has been spending the day in the spare bedroom with his own box but I've been keeping him in my bedroom with all the cats at night, so I havent been able to monitor poo, which does bother me, but I dont want him to be secluded all the time. I've been thinking about spending a night with him in the other bedroom to see if he does go but everyone else is feeling so neglected already that Im not sure what Ill do