TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Question for Nuva Ring Users
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question for Nuva Ring Users

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I've got a question for you, since none of the doctors around here know anything about Nuva Ring even though it's been out for at least three years

I've been using Nuva Ring for three years next month. Before I started using Nuva Ring my periods were 4 days, the next year it dropped to 3 days, then by this year it was down to 2 days, and now my last period was BARELY over a day.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing with Nuva Ring or any other birth controls?

Should I be concerned?

post #2 of 11
Hormonal birth control methods (including Nuva Ring) reduce the length of my periods (and this is a known common effect). Some people also lose their periods completely on hormonal birth control. Your OBGYN should be able to use information about normal reactions to hormonal birth control in general to help understand how normal or abnormal your super-short periods are.
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuja View Post
Hormonal birth control methods (including Nuva Ring) reduce the length of my periods (and this is a known common effect). Some people also lose their periods completely on hormonal birth control. Your OBGYN should be able to use information about normal reactions to hormonal birth control in general to help understand how normal or abnormal your super-short periods are.
Thanks for the info! I'm not sure what this new doc will be able to tell me. Insurance got changed and I can no longer go to the OBGYN I was seeing and now I'm just going to a regular doctor's office for a pap. I don't know how much they know about that sort of stuff, but I'll be sure to ask on Friday!
post #4 of 11
Oh, I used it! Love it. I forget how long I used it for, but before that I was on the patch. And yes, my periods dropped in length dramatically. By the time I got off, and for the last few months, I literally only bled for maybe 48 hours, no spotting before or after. And since I also use the cup, I know that it was only a little amount of blood (about 1/2 an ounce).

Haven't talked to my doctor about it yet, but I just had my 5th cycle off of BC, and it now lasted about twice as long, but only because I had spotting before and after. So maybe... 5/8ths of an ounce? Still, I take it as a good sign that it's getting back to "normal". Though not sure I like "normal" better!
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie View Post
Oh, I used it! Love it. I forget how long I used it for, but before that I was on the patch. And yes, my periods dropped in length dramatically. By the time I got off, and for the last few months, I literally only bled for maybe 48 hours, no spotting before or after. And since I also use the cup, I know that it was only a little amount of blood (about 1/2 an ounce).

Haven't talked to my doctor about it yet, but I just had my 5th cycle off of BC, and it now lasted about twice as long, but only because I had spotting before and after. So maybe... 5/8ths of an ounce? Still, I take it as a good sign that it's getting back to "normal". Though not sure I like "normal" better!
Yeah I don't think I would like normal either!!! This last period I didn't even get cramps! It was so weird. To be honest I was freaking out that I was pregnant because it started late, but it still ended the same day so weird.

I'm glad to hear it's normal. My doctor's appointment is on Friday so I'll talk to her about it then!
post #6 of 11
My periods run late on Nuvaring too. Not sure why but it's normal for me so I don't worry about it. I wish it was just for a day though!
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat View Post
My periods run late on Nuvaring too. Not sure why but it's normal for me so I don't worry about it. I wish it was just for a day though!
How long have you been on it??




I went to my doctor's appointment this morning and she told me it is not uncommon for your periods to get shorter and even stop all together on hormonal birth controls. I don't mind my period being about a day, but stopping all together!!! Yikes! I would be stressed out every month my period didn't come!
post #8 of 11
I started it with the intent to stop my periods, but it shot my blood sugar numbers (I'm diabetic) through the roof , and I had to discontinue it.
post #9 of 11
I'm on the Nuva Ring for almost 2 years now (on and off though). I have had different experiences with it, but I like it because it doesnt turn me into the Wicked Witch of the East Coast!

My periods went from being long and heavy (6 days or so) to short and light (3 days). This is my favorite side effect!
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
I don't mind my period being about a day, but stopping all together!!! Yikes! I would be stressed out every month my period didn't come!
That's why I wont go on Seasonique or whatever that "periods 3x a year" pill is! I'd be stressing way too much!
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob View Post
That's why I wont go on Seasonique or whatever that "periods 3x a year" pill is! I'd be stressing way too much!
Exactly! I would love to only have three or four periods a year, but I would be so stressed!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Question for Nuva Ring Users