website thoughts

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am doing some work on a new site and wanted some thoughts. I do web development (web application development more than design) and I thought I'd put my new site up to hopefully attract some customers in a few months when i open.

First and foremost i'm curious how this looks in safari. Most expression engine developers use Mac/Safari and I don't so I can see how the page looks there. But moreso than that I wanted to get some thoughts from people on how the overall flow of information is.

By the way, ignore the 'we employ top tier etc etc'. It's true, but it's because I contract graphic design work out
I don't do it myself.

Thoughts?

http://e-places.net/index.php

I don't know if this breaks rules or not. The site i'm referencing here is not open, or even available right now. it's just a single page with no links that work. This is NOT a hope for traffic since you can't do anything on the page anyway, I just want opinions on the design and flow. You can see that you have to have a direct link to get there anyway. I put a placeholder up on the domain itself. www.e-places.net is just a placeholder. although I do like the design i did for it

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm..... didn't find the "header" catchy enough. Wasn't sure where to put my eyes. They eventually went right to the headline "ePlaces Web Development."

I think you need a logo or logotype

The content - divided in half - I think needs to be switched around. Even online, I find I read left to right... make that intro area stand out more and the 1-2-3 WC3, graphics, etc. section smaller and on the right. I know these things are important... but first you want to make a splash and sell your company.... right?

Hey, if you need a freelance writer... I'm available. No joke. I am not an HTML person, but I certainly can generate content - have in the past. Someone else has to plug it in. Learning more about this is on my short list of things to do to advance my freelance business.

Adrien

PS - I have mixed feelings about flash-type splash pages for instance. I'm impatient and don't want to wait for that... want to get right to the heart of the matter. IMHO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the whole point really. There's no 'splash' page. the example with nothing on it is just so people can't see the site if they stumble onto the page. I don't want it exposed yet.

Interesting input. i SUCK at writing content. First off I have to shorten my statements down badly. I have a tendency to ramble on and get way too technical for this stuff. I know it drives people away but it's hard to write outside your own mindset if that makes sense.

I really like your overview, it gives me something to think about rather than a 'its ok' statemetn.

What do you charge for content? I've got technical info coming out my you know what. But I can't put it to reasonable content very well. I think that's a block most developers have.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i looked at it using my preferred browser [Camino] as well as in Safari & Firefox... i also took screenshots of both pages in each browser. here're the links to the screenshots [so you can see how they look - to me, they all looked the same in each browser]:
Camino splash
Camino
Firefox splash
Firefox
Safari
Safari splash
i have a macbook, purchased this past january [08]. HTH!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i looked at it using my preferred browser [Camino] as well as in Safari & Firefox... i also took screenshots of both pages in each browser. here're the links to the screenshots [so you can see how they look - to me, they all looked the same in each browser]:
Camino splash
Camino
Firefox splash
Firefox
Safari
Safari splash
i have a macbook, purchased this past january [08]. HTH!
Wow thanks. That's exactly what I needed and you proved exactly why i needed it. the FireFox shot shows that it breaks the toolbar. That's strange because it's a fixed width (the page, not the toolbar) and on any browser at 800x600 it should fit. Do you happen to know what resolution it's at?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Wow thanks. That's exactly what I needed and you proved exactly why i needed it. the FireFox shot shows that it breaks the toolbar. That's strange because it's a fixed width (the page, not the toolbar) and on any browser at 800x600 it should fit. Do you happen to know what resolution it's at?
the browser or my mac?
the mac is set at 1280 x 800... i don't even know if you can check browser resolutions or if that's even changeable... btw, i'm downloading the newest version of Firefox right now - i didn't have the most recent one for my OS. i'll take new shots after.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm.> Well there's a formatting issue I'm not sure about. It's changing the way the dang header is layed out. I built this verifying it works in both FF and IE on a pc. and it's W3C compliant. I'm not sure what else to look at. But it's changing something. it looks like there's an offset at the very top. it's pusing the menu text down on the bar, and the text below that which forces the word 'top' down to the next level.

Something really doesn't make sense there.... thinking......