This is getting really old!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For almost 2 months I had been getting obscene phone calls from a restricted phone number.

It stopped for almost a month and I figured whoever it was got bored with it

I was wrong... It's starting again

I can't block it, and my phone company can't help either since it's coming from a restricted phone number.

The only option I have is to change my phone number. I can't do that right now with mom being in the hospital and I've put out HUNDREDS of resume's with this phone number on it.

I can't NOT answer it seeing as I have relatives and potential employers that call from restricted also.

Any ideas on how to stop this?..... I think I'm just going to have to put up with it until I can change my number

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you talked to the police about it? I know being a restricted number makes it harder but this is harassment and they might be able to help.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an ex-boyfriend who was making harassing calls. This is how I took care of it.

If I'm not mistaken, harassing phone calls are a Federal offence (FCC.) Call the police and make a statement. Get the complaint number, so you can reference it. Ask the police for the number of the harassment call bureau. Call the harassment call bureau, give them your phone number and the police complaint number. They will put a tap on your line for incoming calls. Keep a log of any calls that come in. I think they keep the tap on your line for two weeks. You don't have to worry about privacy, as they do not tape the actual calls...just the numbers of the calls which come in. It won't matter if the caller is using a restricted number, the harassment call bureau will be able to trace the call. I've used their service several times. I do admit, I used the service before cell phones were as popular as they are now. I would imagine that they'd be able to trace them also. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Have you talked to the police about it? I know being a restricted number makes it harder but this is harassment and they might be able to help.
I've spoke with them several times about it. They've told me to speak with my phone provider
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I had an ex-boyfriend who was making harassing calls. This is how I took care of it.

If I'm not mistaken, harassing phone calls are a Federal offence (FCC.) Call the police and make a statement. Get the complaint number, so you can reference it. Ask the police for the number of the harassment call bureau. Call the harassment call bureau, give them your phone number and the police complaint number. They will put a tap on your line for incoming calls. Keep a log of any calls that come in. I think they keep the tap on your line for two weeks. You don't have to worry about privacy, as they do not tape the actual calls...just the numbers of the calls which come in. It won't matter if the caller is using a restricted number, the harassment call bureau will be able to trace the call. I've used their service several times. I do admit, I used the service before cell phones were as popular as they are now. I would imagine that they'd be able to trace them also. Good luck!
I am on hold with my cell phone provider right now. So far they've told me there is nothing they can do but change my phone number. That there is no way they can trace any phone numbers wether they are restricted or not

I find this hard to believe

ETA: I was just hung up on! They told me there is nothing they can do and they don't offer any services to trace who it is

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this may sound weird, but get a whistle and blow as loud as you can into the phone
My Dad told my friend to do this when she was getting weird phone calls, they stopped shortly after

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This summer sometime there was a talk show on WI public radio and blocking calls was brought up. Some cellphones can have calls blocked perhaps you can google how to block calls on cell phone?? The caller wouldn't be an ex-boss would it??

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

This summer sometime there was a talk show on WI public radio and blocking calls was brought up. Some cellphones can have calls blocked perhaps you can google how to block calls on cell phone?? The caller wouldn't be an ex-boss would it??
No, I don't think it's my ex-boss. He's not the type to do that..

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you get these calls. HANG UP! Don't say one thing to them just hang up. Don't give them a chance to say anything to you as soon as you realize its the obscene phone caller click. People who make these calls are looking for a reaction. If they get nothing usually they soon tire of it and stop. If you have been saying anything then that just keeps them calling back as they get a reaction from you.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, I probably don't have the best way of handling things... but a couple of years ago, when I was living with my parents, we kept getting obscene calls. My dad always handled it.

Well, I was home alone one day, and one came in. My response went something like, "You think you can out-swear me, you
?!? You don't know who the
you're dealing with," and I proceeded to let loose with the most profane, disgusting, colorful string of things I could think of. I think it ended with a threat of some sort. In fact, I know it did. Ha.

We never got another call.

I wouldn't recommend it, since you really don't know who's on the other end... but it felt good, and it solved my problem.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kaete

So, I probably don't have the best way of handling things... but a couple of years ago, when I was living with my parents, we kept getting obscene calls. My dad always handled it.

Well, I was home alone one day, and one came in. My response went something like, "You think you can out-swear me, you
?!? You don't know who the
you're dealing with," and I proceeded to let loose with the most profane, disgusting, colorful string of things I could think of. I think it ended with a threat of some sort. In fact, I know it did. Ha.

We never got another call.

I wouldn't recommend it, since you really don't know who's on the other end... but it felt good, and it solved my problem.

Well, this one isn't swearing or cussing.. it's more like... um.... How do I put this in a nice way.... well... You can figure it out

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I can't NOT answer it seeing as I have relatives and potential employers that call from restricted also.

Any ideas on how to stop this?..... I think I'm just going to have to put up with it until I can change my number
Well here the phone company can make it so blocked numbers can not go through and if they want to call you they have to dial something before your number to unblock it just for calling you. My mom use to do this.

Edit. I dont know if you can do it with a cell phone though.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I know this may sound weird, but get a whistle and blow as loud as you can into the phone
My Dad told my friend to do this when she was getting weird phone calls, they stopped shortly after
That was my first thought too. Or an airhorn! They wouldn't be calling back.

This reminds of a time where whenever DH answered the phone, there would be nothing but heavy breathing. One time when they called, DH said "I want your body" in a sexy like voice. The caller said "Oh
" and hung up. He never called again..

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

That was my first thought too. Or an airhorn! They wouldn't be calling back.

This reminds of a time where whenever DH answered the phone, there would be nothing but heavy breathing. One time when they called, DH said "I want your body" in a sexy like voice. The caller said "Oh
" and hung up. He never called again..

I've had Brandon say something to them and they still call back

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you keep talking with this caller they will keep calling. Its no fun to call and just get a click..

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I like this one. I didn't have a whistle so I banged the receiver around inside a metal waste basket and that took care of the problem. Of course, with a cell phone you'd be more likely to break the phone than the caller's eardrums.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also would recommend the whistle option. As long as they get any reaction from you in the way of conversation they will continue to call.

Another trick I used one time was I pretended I wanted to talk to them for awhile and lightly clicked my disconnect button which sounds to them like you are taping the call. The obscene caller asked if I was taping the call when he heard the click and I said, oh, gosh no, I just want to talk to you for awhile since you seem to be very troubled. He hung up and never called back.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My folks were getting hang-up calls for ages (land line phone). I don't remember who all Mom talked to and nothing could be done (or so she was told). Finally, someone told her to pretend that the call was being traced. She would dial in a couple of numbers and say "officer, you can start the trace now". The calls stopped soon after.

I like the whistle idea, too. You just have to be careful with idiots like this. I hope you get an idea here that works for you.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whatever you do, do not react to him. Probably the best advice is to hang up immediately when you realize it's him. Don't say a word, just click off...no drama. What he wants is any type of reaction from you, even if it's to yell at him, or swear at him. When you realize it's him, click off. If might take awhile, but he'll eventually move on. As long as he thinks he's getting to you, he'll continue. Reacting to him is encouraging him, at least in his mind.

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
if the person is calling your cell, couldn't you just not answer if the caller id shows it's a restricted number?

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hah the same thing was happening to my parents a long time ago and this guy kept calling and saying he was gonna come over and do stuff to mum or somthing and my dad answered one day and said "hey big boy come on over i've got the lights dimmed and im all nekkid"
they never called back

Maybe get call display? And an answering machine and if it's a number you don't know let the machine take it?