Cat Boarding?

roughcollies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We'll be visiting family in the begining of December for four days, most likely. I've left cats alone for two, but never four. The two we have are so needy and crave constant attention, so I really worry about leaving them. Taking them is not an option either. It's a LONG drive for kitties and ours HATE to travel. Besides, my mom has a 16 year old grumpy Tom that would probably kill them, even in his old age.

There are a few places that I can board them in the area. We don't have anyone that can come check on them everyday as we live near absolutely no one. All of our family and friends are across the country and the few friends we've made since being here live at least a half hour away.

I feel bad boarding them, though. In theory, they could survive on their own for four days. They have an auto feeder that lasts two weeks (I hate unscheduled feedings but George howls day and night... for weeks... if he can't have food all the time), a HUGE dog waterer that last several days with three dogs and two cats using it, three litter boxes and toys and a cat tree. I just don't feel right leaving them alone that long. I *might* be able to convince someone to check on them once.

The nearest boarding place is a dump. There are a few others I am planning on checking out, though. I just think with the way George is, it will beyond stress him out to do this. He is really bad about traveling anywhere and stresses badly in new environments.

What do you think?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check with your vet. Sometimes vet techs double as pet "sitters" to check on people's animals, cats especially. It may cost you $30 bucks a day to have someone come in 2x ... or maybe more in NY.... You get someone qualified to check on the "kids"... and they make a little extra holiday money! And the cats don't stress out nearly as much having you gone AND in a strange place. Obviously, check references, etc..... You're giving yourself plenty of time.

My BF's dearly departed cat, Cato, hated other cats, so boarding wasn't an option. One of the techs at his vet came to check on Cato 2x a day...

BTW - if your cat is demanding food all the time, have you had him checked medically? Don't mean to insult you.... but constant hunger can be a sign of a med issue - blood sugar, etc.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lady in town asked the dinky little vet if he knew anyone who would cat sit - and he suggested me. 2 years later - I'm still cat-sitting & love her kitties like my own (and threaten to steal 1 or 2 regularly
)

I'd look into finding someone to stop in home. Check with the vet to see if they can reccomend anyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roughcollies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

BTW - if your cat is demanding food all the time, have you had him checked medically? Don't mean to insult you.... but constant hunger can be a sign of a med issue - blood sugar, etc.
Yep, he's been fully checked. His bloodwork came back normal and he was wormed. He doesn't eat all day, just insists that food is always available. Our best guess is because when he came in the house on that fatefull day (he walked in the house one day uninvited and that was that, he was home) he was near starving. He was all skin and bones and now he just likes the security of food. He is a tad bit chubby now, but not fat.

Although, a bit off topic, his poo does really stink. We are feeding him Nutro Max (not the best but times are tough right now and it's the best we can afford at the moment. They'll be switched onto a better food after the holidays most likely) and I figured it was because the food is very strong smelling but it doesn't affect CAT in the same way. He was at the vets about a month ago and all was well then. This isn't something new, either. His poo has always smelled really bad. Anyway, just a side note.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoughCollies

Yep, he's been fully checked. His bloodwork came back normal and he was wormed. He doesn't eat all day, just insists that food is always available. Our best guess is because when he came in the house on that fatefull day (he walked in the house one day uninvited and that was that, he was home) he was near starving. He was all skin and bones and now he just likes the security of food. He is a tad bit chubby now, but not fat.

Although, a bit off topic, his poo does really stink. We are feeding him Nutro Max (not the best but times are tough right now and it's the best we can afford at the moment. They'll be switched onto a better food after the holidays most likely) and I figured it was because the food is very strong smelling but it doesn't affect CAT in the same way. He was at the vets about a month ago and all was well then. This isn't something new, either. His poo has always smelled really bad. Anyway, just a side note.
Ah, so his need for food is emotional/psychological.

Don't know about smelly poo - except that the much more knowledgeable folks on this site say the better the food (less grain, byproducts) the less of an issue there is with stinky poo.

Hope we were of some help with the boarding/caretaker issue.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet does not board dogs - not enough room - but will take cats, although there is no one there to watch them overnight. I've never done this - my late Casey had lots of "fans" nearby who were kind enough to look after him.
I do think that cats prefer to stay home rather than board and/or travel. That has been our experience anyway. I know Casey really missed us when we traveled, but I think the routine of being in his own space helped him to adapt. Just my thoughts. But a lot of vet techs do cat sitting on the side. Not necessarily staying at your home, but checking on your kitties once or twice a day. I believe there is also a national website where you can see who may be available in your area. Check references carefully and do a trial run for a day or two if you can. Let your kitties meet their prospective sitter and ensure you feel comfortable with whomever you choose. Good luck!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have boarded my kitty before. There is a great one close to where we are that has little kitty 'apartments' with great views outside and a vetinary nurse who works there full time. My concern about boarding cats in winter though is cat flu. Mine had it really badly when he was a kitten in the cat shelter and I don't want him to have to go through that again. So any cattery that checks the health of the kitty and jab records and things are really important to me.