Love my kitty, Trixie, but....

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has the WORST gas!
I'm not sure how old she is, but she can't be more than 3 or 4 months. She's a bundle of energy and is ready and willing to play any time. We got her Friday (best Halloween gift EVER, little cutie) and The next night we started noticing a HORRIBLE smell. We finally came to the conclusion this morning that Trixie has gas. Bad, bad gas. Its the worst smell you'll ever suffer through! My room smells horrible because of it. She's the most adorable kitten alive (Siamese, I think. White with dark gray ears and tail) and I love her to pieces but GEESH she stinks!
Do ANY of you know what I can do to stop it?

For future reference we feed her:
Purina Kitten Chow, Nurturing Formula, Chicken and Turkey Flavored.
Purina Whisker Lickin's, Tender Moments Treats, Crab Flavor.
(The food is hard and the treats are soft.)

Btw, she farted twice in my lap while I was typing this. Thats why it took so long to post!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
when i acquired Java [stray] she had awful gas, too. she'd lie on my shoulder & fart in my face
i fed a fairly good quality food, but who knows what she'd been eating prior to that! anyway, she eventually developed diarrhea, so i took her to the vet. she had a intestinal bacterial overgrowth - took 2 rounds of antibiotics plus a round of probiotics [bene-bac] to eliminate. the best side effect - no more gas! bad side effect - she stopped sleeping on me. i think she was doing it for the warmth - soothed her little cramping tummy!

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah...kittens and gas.
Forrest's gas could burn your eyebrows off - it was just horrible.

Most people I've talked to with kittens have gone through the same thing. Forrest thankfully grew out of it at about 6 months (he's 1 1/2 years old now).

Occasionally when I grab him as he walks past and give him a big hug he will exude, as my husband calls it, his "protective cat scent" and I'll immediately put him down. I know that he probably doesn't have any control of it, but it seems he's learned what will make his Meowmy put him down fast when he doesn't want to be held.

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

Oh yeah...kittens and gas.
Forrest's gas could burn your eyebrows off - it was just horrible.

Most people I've talked to with kittens have gone through the same thing. Forrest thankfully grew out of it at about 6 months (he's 1 1/2 years old now).

Occasionally when I grab him as he walks past and give him a big hug he will exude, as my husband calls it, his "protective cat scent" and I'll immediately put him down. I know that he probably doesn't have any control of it, but it seems he's learned what will make his Meowmy put him down fast when he doesn't want to be held.
Too funny.....here I am laughing my head off, quietly, at work!!!!

My kitties never had gas....but I do emphasize...as I have a husband and two sons....LOL LOL.....

I hope it all ends soon...the gas, that is.....

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awww bless you hope your kitten gets over his gas soon

sooty has bad gas but as the days go by it gets less often, flash didnt she is a gas free kitty

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you just got the little gal has she seen a vet yet?

I definitely get her to the vet for a checkup.

Congrats by the way, we got Jack (o-lantern) one year ago Halloween!

Leslie

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I well remember the days of Hannah's gas. Not an period of time I want to repeat!

Parasites often cause gas, so I'd first take her to the vet and have her tested for intestinal parasites. If she does have them, and it's very common in kitties, then treatment will eliminate the parasites and the gas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We haven't gotten around to taking Trixie to a vet yet. Money's an issue there. We did go to Wal-Mart and buy air fresheners and Febreeze (we've used the Febreeze so much just today!) though. We're going to make an appointment soon though!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please get her to a vet ... if she has a parasite ( very very common) she could spread it to you and your other animals

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is true. My outside strays/ferals had parasites. A good dose of meds and some antibiotics will take care of it easily if that is the problem

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I've been reading on this site and others about possibilities of the cause. I've learned that there are quite a few including parasites (shudder), bad food, allergic reactions to certain ingredients, etc. Apparently its quite common for kittens to have gas. A friend of mine has a cat named "Stinker" because when it was a baby it had this problem too. I'm not sure if I should be worried yet but I'm not too thrilled. Not only could it be hurting her, but my room smells like kitty fart! And if any of you have had this problem you know how absolutely horrid that smells.
About getting her to a vet, I asked my mom quite a few times today about that and I've gotten the same reply I've gotten about everything else I need that involves money:
Not 'til he's out of the house.
Yeah, my parents are splitting. My dad refuses to leave until there's enough money in the bank to support me, my three sisters, and himself and my mom wants him out so she's hesitant to spend money on anything, including Trixie. She doesn't have a job yet so I'm not sure when we'll be ale to get Trix to a vet. We're working on it though.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe explain to your mom that if you wait- it could develop into something more serious and more expensive.

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I've tried but its no use. She seriously wants him out. I'm skipping meals and wearing clothes I've had for years to save money. There's not much else I can do.

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Sigh. She's still farting up the mother lode of nasty gas. I don't know what to do. Neither of my parents will take her to the vet. I explained that it could get worse and start hurting her but "we have more important things to spend money on".
NOT! Nothing is more important than my baby! Ugh. I'm so sad.
Just keep Trixie in your prayers, if you don't mind. I'd appreciate it and I'm sure Trix would too.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really are going to have to think long and hard about whether or not you can completely provide for this cat. They need to go to the vet and if you can't afford it you may want to find it a new home where its needs will be met--its more than just food, litter and love.

Leslie

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Along with a vet visit, I think a better food would cause less gas.

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet. I know. Working on it harder than you could imagine.
Any suggestions on a new brand of food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what amount can you afford ??? and where can you get the food??

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you mean? And we bought her Purina Kitten at Wal-Mart.

adeebm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Royal Canin Kitten food, and I've heard Science Diet is good to. They are on the expensive side though. Have you been to the vet yet(I mean when you got her). Its a good idea to get a full exam when bringing home a kitten. You got her Friday? I got my kitty Sunny last Friday too