feline diabetes

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has feline diabetes and takes insulin 2 times a day every 12 hrs. She also has to eat food for diabetic cats. My vet gave me Purina DM but she won't eat it. Is there anything else I could try?
Thanx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanx, I'll read it right now

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanx, I'll read that one too!

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanx! Loving all the new info(to me) I'm getting!

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
You do not need or want to feed prescription foods as they hold no value over commercially available foods and ae poor in quality. Lower carbs can reduce insulin needs and most likely, your cat got diabetes from eating dry in the first place. For that money, you can get canned wellness and feed top quality food.

Ae you hometesting? it is the only way to know if it is safe to give insulin as well as giving the info needed to treat this disease correctly. I can teach you how. You would not give insulin to a child without testing why would you to your cat?

Be wary of yourdiabetic cat.com
Although this is a very smart vet that started the board, the protocol prescribed on this board is not published, Not run by dvms and can be dangerous. Other opinions on that board are not tolerated so all voices speak as one.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

Hi
You do not need or want to feed prescription foods as they hold no value over commercially available foods and ae poor in quality. Lower carbs can reduce insulin needs and most likely, your cat got diabetes from eating dry in the first place. For that money, you can get canned wellness and feed top quality food.

Ae you hometesting? it is the only way to know if it is safe to give insulin as well as giving the info needed to treat this disease correctly. I can teach you how. You would not give insulin to a child without testing why would you to your cat?

Although this is a very smart vet that started the board, the protocol prescribed on this board is not published, Not run by dvms and can be dangerous. Other opinions on that board are not tolerated so all voices speak as one.
All the information you obtain here, including the above, should be used only as INFORMATION to take with you when you discuss alternative foods with your vet.

None of us here are vets and for us to stop you from following your vet's instructions could have serious consequences to your cat. Some of the prescription diets may not have the best ingredients, but often there is a reason for using them such as ash content, etc. Please discuss these issues with your vet.

Please treat the information you receive here as just that - information - NOT medical advice.

Some folks like Optionken have had some experience with their own cats but each cat is different and what may have worked for him does not mean it will work for you. And, even though he may have some experience, he is not a vet so act accordingly in the interest of your pet's safety.

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW! Thanx! Sure am glad u set me straight about this.This is all new to me and I don't mind saying I am getting very confused here.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Daisy5

WOW! Thanx! Sure am glad u set me straight about this.This is all new to me and I don't mind saying I am getting very confused here.
Not all vets are up-to-date on nutrition, but if you have a decent vet they are willing to talk to you and the more information you have when you talk to them, the more seriously they will take your discussion.

My vet knows and respects that I don't care for the prescription diets but she has politely asked me to use a particular food to mix with our regular food to help keep their teeth clean. I admit I was skeptical but then Sharky said it had been one of the only ones proven to help tartar so I feel better about giving Bijou and Mika some mixed with their better quality food. My vet and I are now both happy.

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take Kiki to her vet tomorrow, so I will surely discuss with her what I have learned about nutrition for Diabetic cats.
Tell me, is it true that giving a cat exclusively wet food will cause it to have bad teeth and gums? If so, what do I do? Mix wet and dry?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Daisy5

I take Kiki to her vet tomorrow, so I will surely discuss with her what I have learned about nutrition for Diabetic cats.
Tell me, is it true that giving a cat exclusively wet food will cause it to have bad teeth and gums? If so, what do I do? Mix wet and dry?
Wet food has been proved to be the healthiest diet for any cat.

As to dry food - cats do not chew, i.e., their jaws do not move from side to side, only up and down. Unless the chunks of dry food are large, most cats don't even chew them anyway, they just swallow. Even with the larger foods, think about it - they break the piece with the tip of the tooth and swallow. The dry food isn't going anywhere near the root of the tooth where the tartar builds up. I compare it to us humans eating a dry cracker of a tablespoon of beef stew - which would leave the most residue on our teeth? The dry cracker of course!

The food you and your vet decide is best for your diabetic cat will need to have the required ingredients/lack of ingredients that is healthiest for the kitty. Let us know after you talk to your vet what the outcome was.

Always be prepared though - there are some vets that resent their clients asking questions and having information they themselves do not have. If you have the bad luck to have one of these vets, look for a new vet where you will be comfortable discussing these issues with him/her and who will be comfortable discussing them with you.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

Although this is a very smart vet that started the board, the protocol prescribed on this board is not published, Not run by dvms and can be dangerous.
I respectfully disagree. The protocol is not dangerous if understood and applied properly. But taking full control of the treatment of a diabetic cat is a whole nuther topic and not something I meant to be suggesting.

I posted the link in reference to dietary management of diabetes. There is much helpful information at that site on that topic.

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Wet food has been proved to be the healthiest diet for any cat.

As to dry food - cats do not chew, i.e., their jaws do not move from side to side, only up and down. Unless the chunks of dry food are large, most cats don't even chew them anyway, they just swallow. Even with the larger foods, think about it - they break the piece with the tip of the tooth and swallow. The dry food isn't going anywhere near the root of the tooth where the tartar builds up. I compare it to us humans eating a dry cracker of a tablespoon of beef stew - which would leave the most residue on our teeth? The dry cracker of course!

The food you and your vet decide is best for your diabetic cat will need to have the required ingredients/lack of ingredients that is healthiest for the kitty. Let us know after you talk to your vet what the outcome was.

Always be prepared though - there are some vets that resent their clients asking questions and having information they themselves do not have. If you have the bad luck to have one of these vets, look for a new vet where you will be comfortable discussing these issues with him/her and who will be comfortable discussing them with you.
You bet I'll come straight here after the vet visit. I got to go now, but thanx for all the info
and I'll write tomorrow.

Thanx

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have a cat with diabetes but was told she had it went it wasnt that.
Her Gluclose was between 325-370.
I was sure glas it wanst that.
My cat is on Kidney Food so I use wet and dry.
If you use wet be careful how long it is in the fridge.
The other day Cocos food had mold in it.
I hope something works out for your cat.
They should have a few options food cats with diabetes.
Coco has bladder problems and was on C/D but hated it so I asked the vet about other foods and they ordered them for me. The same with the K/D.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet nor do I claim to be my opinions ae my own and this board is not responsible for any advice I may give.

Some folks like Optionken have had some experience with their own cats but each cat is different and what may have worked for him does not mean it will work for you. And, even though he may have some experience, he is not a vet so act accordingly in the interest of your pet's safety.__________________

I do want to point out that I have worked privately with well over 100 owners of diabetic cats as well as working on a diabetes board so my experience is a little more vast then what is said here. References with diabetic cat owners can be given

The protocol is not dangerous if understood and applied properly. But taking full control of the treatment of a diabetic cat is a whole nuther topic and not something I meant to be suggesting.

When it comes to the nutritional advice given on yourdiabeticcat.com we are in total agreement. When it comes to nutrition this vet to me was way ahead of the curve
What I am referring to in my warning is the protocol for insulin given and the way a hypoglycemic attack is treated (or not treated) it can be dangerous