Chicago!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fiance and I are going to be in Chicago Friday and Saturday. We'll be going to SOFA at Navy Pier on Friday morning, but neither of us have ever been before. SO, what should we do? Anything we must see?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You must see everything!

What are your interests? Museums? Shopping? Restaurants? Shows?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

The Food!!! I go to Chicago at least 3 times a year just for the food
Gino's East (deep dish delight!), Billy Goat Tavern (Cheezborger, Cheezborger!), as well as finding the best places to get a Chicago-style hot dog or an Italian Beef sandwich, mmmmmm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

You must see everything!

What are your interests? Museums? Shopping? Restaurants? Shows?
Well I think we'd like to skip museums, because we're there for such a short time, and we can always go back. But, yes, please tell me of any good restaurants, cool things to see (FDH is a photographer and I'm sure he'll be lugging a 4x5 around), really anything but museums.

SOFA, which is why we're going, is a sculpture and functional art expo.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

Well I think we'd like to skip museums, because we're there for such a short time, and we can always go back. But, yes, please tell me of any good restaurants, cool things to see (FDH is a photographer and I'm sure he'll be lugging a 4x5 around), really anything but museums.

SOFA, which is why we're going, is a sculpture and functional art expo.
You'll probably spend lots of time on Navy Pier itself. I'm not sure if the ferris wheel is running, there's also some shopping there, and boat tours that leave from there.

If you want to wander a bit from downtown, one of my favorite pizza places is Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders. It's across from the spot where the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Farther north on Clark street is my favorite Chicago hot dog stand, The Wiener's Circle. If you go there, you absolutely have to try the cheddar fries!
It's nothing to look at, though, it is just a stand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that. I do have a profound interest in the Mafia, so that's cool. And I do love hot dogs and cheese fries. I think I'll be coming back from Chicago 10lbs heavier!!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most fabulous place in Chicago (IMO) is the Field Museum; the Egyptian exhibit is unbelievable. I also love just walking along Lake Michigan.
I didn't find much to occupy me at Navy Pier, aside from the ducks that followed along begging for a handout
If you enjoy shopping I guess it's an ok place.
Enjoy your trip!

ancientsanskrit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In TX, but will always be a Michigan-boy.
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Gino's East (deep dish delight!).
Correction, Giordano's > Gino's East.

Though, I will admit, good ol' Michigan pizza hold's up pretty strong. Nothing like Buddy's pizza.

It occurs to me after moving down here that Texans don't know squat on how to prepare a good pie.

From my trip to the windy last winter:

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ancientsanskrit

Though, I will admit, good ol' Michigan pizza hold's up pretty strong. Nothing like Buddy's pizza.

It occurs to me after moving down here that Texans don't know squat on how to prepare a good pie.

Hey! No fair posting that! I'm at work, and I'm really hungry!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

True, not sure how I could have missed that!!! Last time I was in Chicago we had Giordanos. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BUT, Gino's East would still be neat to walk into, even if you don't eat the pizza there.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If it's Chicago-style (or even American-style) pizza you like, then the Italians don't, either.

Funny how those things are so regional.

You could always visit some of the city's cemeteries, where there most influential voters "live."