TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Chicago!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chicago!

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
My fiance and I are going to be in Chicago Friday and Saturday. We'll be going to SOFA at Navy Pier on Friday morning, but neither of us have ever been before. SO, what should we do? Anything we must see?
post #2 of 12
You must see everything!

What are your interests? Museums? Shopping? Restaurants? Shows?
post #3 of 12
The Food!!! I go to Chicago at least 3 times a year just for the food
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
The Food!!! I go to Chicago at least 3 times a year just for the food
Gino's East (deep dish delight!), Billy Goat Tavern (Cheezborger, Cheezborger!), as well as finding the best places to get a Chicago-style hot dog or an Italian Beef sandwich, mmmmmm.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clixpix View Post
You must see everything!

What are your interests? Museums? Shopping? Restaurants? Shows?

Well I think we'd like to skip museums, because we're there for such a short time, and we can always go back. But, yes, please tell me of any good restaurants, cool things to see (FDH is a photographer and I'm sure he'll be lugging a 4x5 around), really anything but museums.

SOFA, which is why we're going, is a sculpture and functional art expo.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteforest View Post
Well I think we'd like to skip museums, because we're there for such a short time, and we can always go back. But, yes, please tell me of any good restaurants, cool things to see (FDH is a photographer and I'm sure he'll be lugging a 4x5 around), really anything but museums.

SOFA, which is why we're going, is a sculpture and functional art expo.
You'll probably spend lots of time on Navy Pier itself. I'm not sure if the ferris wheel is running, there's also some shopping there, and boat tours that leave from there.

If you want to wander a bit from downtown, one of my favorite pizza places is Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders. It's across from the spot where the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Farther north on Clark street is my favorite Chicago hot dog stand, The Wiener's Circle. If you go there, you absolutely have to try the cheddar fries! It's nothing to look at, though, it is just a stand.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks for that. I do have a profound interest in the Mafia, so that's cool. And I do love hot dogs and cheese fries. I think I'll be coming back from Chicago 10lbs heavier!!
post #8 of 12
The most fabulous place in Chicago (IMO) is the Field Museum; the Egyptian exhibit is unbelievable. I also love just walking along Lake Michigan.
I didn't find much to occupy me at Navy Pier, aside from the ducks that followed along begging for a handout If you enjoy shopping I guess it's an ok place.
Enjoy your trip!
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky View Post
Gino's East (deep dish delight!).
Correction, Giordano's > Gino's East.

Though, I will admit, good ol' Michigan pizza hold's up pretty strong. Nothing like Buddy's pizza.

It occurs to me after moving down here that Texans don't know squat on how to prepare a good pie.


From my trip to the windy last winter:

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientsanskrit View Post
Correction, Giordano's > Gino's East.

Though, I will admit, good ol' Michigan pizza hold's up pretty strong. Nothing like Buddy's pizza.

It occurs to me after moving down here that Texans don't know squat on how to prepare a good pie.


From my trip to the windy last winter:

Hey! No fair posting that! I'm at work, and I'm really hungry!
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientsanskrit View Post
Correction, Giordano's > Gino's East.

Though, I will admit, good ol' Michigan pizza hold's up pretty strong. Nothing like Buddy's pizza.

It occurs to me after moving down here that Texans don't know squat on how to prepare a good pie.


From my trip to the windy last winter:

True, not sure how I could have missed that!!! Last time I was in Chicago we had Giordanos. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BUT, Gino's East would still be neat to walk into, even if you don't eat the pizza there.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientsanskrit View Post
It occurs to me after moving down here that Texans don't know squat on how to prepare a good pie.

If it's Chicago-style (or even American-style) pizza you like, then the Italians don't, either.

Funny how those things are so regional.

You could always visit some of the city's cemeteries, where there most influential voters "live."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Chicago!