How do I get roped into these things?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my SIL calls me last night to see if I would be willing to have a vacuum demonstration from a friend of her's. I've had friends that worked for the same company so I do know that they are good vacuums, and I also know there is NO WAY I can afford one ($2000+). The sales person gets paid by the demonstration though (selling one is a bonus) so being the push over that I am I agreed to it. So next Sunday I have a stranger coming over to try to sell me a vacuum I can't afford.

The funny thing is, we just ripped up the carpet in the living room and put laminate floors down, so the only carpet in the whole house is in the bedroom and computer room! So, what's the point??

I just have to learn how to say no.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which vacuum? Filter Queen?

If it's a Kirby, you might want to buy ear plugs in advance! Those things sound like a jumbo jet taking off in your living room. Not to mention the dust that gets thrown from the fabric bag.

And be prepared for a high pressure sales pitch. Contrary to popular belief, they don't really get paid for the demonstrations, because otherwise they would just be going out doing demos and costing the company money instead of bringing in money.

I know... I used to sell both Filter Queen and Electrolux way back when. Our solicitors told people we got paid per demo in order to get us into the house. However, I didn't get paid a cent unless I sold the vacuum cleaner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Ugh, can't you cancel?
LOL, I'm seriously considering being "sick" next weekend! The only problem with that is since my SIL got 2 appointments for her (me and another sucker) she gets a free gift. I think it's a room humidifier or something like that. I'm not sure she will still get it if I cancel. Also, I don't know the girl but she is the sister of an old friend of DH's, so it gets kind of sticky.

But, I feel bad having her take the time to come and demonstrate something that I know I'm not going to buy. Of course my MIL said I should let her come and vacuum the computer room so that will be one less chore I have to do next weekend!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Which vacuum? Filter Queen?

If it's a Kirby, you might want to buy ear plugs in advance! Those things sound like a jumbo jet taking off in your living room. Not to mention the dust that gets thrown from the fabric bag.

And be prepared for a high pressure sales pitch. Contrary to popular belief, they don't really get paid for the demonstrations, because otherwise they would just be going out doing demos and costing the company money instead of bringing in money.

I know... I used to sell both Filter Queen and Electrolux way back when. Our solicitors told people we got paid per demo in order to get us into the house. However, I didn't get paid a cent unless I sold the vacuum cleaner.
I'm pretty sure she said Filter Queen. She told me last night but I really wasn't paying attention but I know it's not Kirby. We used a Kirby at a restaurant I used to work at and I know what you mean about the noise, but it was indestructable!

I'm amazed the sales people only get money if they sell a vacuum. I thought they got paid per demo and got commission from each sale. I feel doublely sorry for the employees then because I don't know of many people (except businesses maybe) in this area that can afford a $2000 vacuum!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I feel doublely sorry for the employees then because I don't know of many people (except businesses maybe) in this area that can afford a $2000 vacuum!
They'll offer you an outrageous price as a trade in for your vacuum cleaner, and then to entice you even more they will start throwing in options such as an air deodorizer that fits on top that you can put a perfume drenched cotton ball while you are vacuuming. And when I was selling they also had a "sink declogger" and a hair bonnet that you could attach the hose to dry your hair
. I think they will even say the power nozzle is extra but they will throw it in. And then there are other enticements like "steak knives" or whatever the gift gimmick of the month is.

And they will offer you easy monthly payments and somewhere in there they will let you know that you have 7 days to cancel the agreement, but they only mention that once and only in passing because they don't want you to have that in the forefront of your brain.

I know all of the tricks, and believe me, some of these people if they are good enough at sales could sell a vacuum cleaner to an Eskimo living in an Igloo without electricity! My ex-fiance was like that.

Oh, and they will also from time to time get on the phone to call their boss, who will be giving them tips about what else to do, and sometimes the boss if they sense the person is near biting, will actually come over and push you in order to try and close the sale.

And based on my experience with some vacuum sales people that I knew, if you don't buy or say you will and are turned down for financing.... they have lovely little conversations about you using such terms as "roach" etc. Not to say that this person will, but 90% of the ones I used to work with did that stuff.

Like I said, be prepared for high pressured sales.