Buying meds online w/o prescription

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm..

I wouldnt really recommend doing this? What sort of medication are you looking for , medications that require a prescition shouldnt be handed out willy nilly

My mum got some herbal medicines to help reduce blood pressure she assumed the ingrediants were fine and when her doc saw what was in them he had a fit and said they were going to do more harm then good!

Is there any reason u want to get them online? Money? Because your doctor wont give you script?

Be very careful you could think your purchasing a good medication , when actually its nothing and its just the packaging disguising it!
Jess x

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by junior_j

Hmm..

I wouldnt really recommend doing this? What sort of medication are you looking for , medications that require a prescition shouldnt be handed out willy nilly
Yeppers! Some medications require a prescription for very good reasons.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have also seen on various news shows where they buy these meds online and then have them tested and they turn out to be counterfits (sp?) made with really bad stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by junior_j

Hmm..

My mum got some herbal medicines to help reduce blood pressure she assumed the ingrediants were fine and when her doc saw what was in them he had a fit and said they were going to do more harm then good!

Is there any reason u want to get them online? Money? Because your doctor wont give you script?

Be very careful you could think your purchasing a good medication , when actually its nothing and its just the packaging disguising it!
Jess x
I'm not interested in anything illegal; it's purely for economic reasons that I ask. The State of Illinois (where I live) recommended buying from Canadian online pharmacies and I thought if I ever needed something like Amoxicillin, I could get it without the cost of going to the doctor.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

I'm not interested in anything illegal; it's purely for economic reasons that I ask. The State of Illinois (where I live) recommended buying from Canadian online pharmacies and I thought if I ever needed something like Amoxicillin, I could get it without the cost of going to the doctor.
I can only assume you know for a fact that you need a particular drug like Amoxicillin. Nobody should ever self-diagnose and then self-medicate. If you are a doctor then you would probably have a better idea of which medication you need for a particular medical issue, otherwise you are taking a huge risk. I can understand ordering things like Midol, Asprin, Motrin, etc. on-line (even though you risk not getting the real thing), but anything else is like playing Russian Roulette IMO.

People assume herbal medicines are safer than prescriptions but unless you actually know a lot about the herbs and their components, you are risking your health and maybe even your life.

The cost of a doctor visit is small in comparison.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

You can't self treat yourself with antibiotics. Different bacterias require different types, and taking an antibiotic (or the wrong kind) when you do not need it only risks making you sicker and creating more antibiotic resistant strains.

Unless you want to end up in the hospital because you took something you shouldn't (and even doctors make mistakes here), don't risk it.

As for herbal supplements, most people don't even understand how common OTC meds and foods interact with drugs let alone herbal supplements. I believe they're a bad idea in general unless a doctor ok's it first.

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you can very easily do yourself more harm than good by attempting to self diagnose an illness.

You might think you need an antibiotic, but it might be viral, antibiotic would do you NO good, only make that antibiotic less effective when you take it in the future.

I agree with the previous poster, certain illnesses require certain antibiotics. You could NEVER get rid of a bladder infection, or a serious case of bronchitis with Amoxicillin. That drug is mainly used on upper respiratory and infections above the neck like teeth or acne.

Find a good low cost clinic. Lots of walgreens and grocery stores have clinics staffed with Nurse Practitioners, who diagnose, treat and perscribe.

Walmart has a list of hundreds of generic drugs, amoxacillian included, that cost just $4.

Other pharmacies have their own lists, and will match Walmart's if you ask them to.

I have been without insurance for 8 years just until LAST MONTH. Seriously. I KNOW how difficult it is. But there are ways to make sure you stay safe.

Good luck! If you have any questions, pm me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yarra

you can very easily do yourself more harm than good by attempting to self diagnose an illness.
To an extent one can self diagnose - but it requires logic, rational thinking, and the ability to actually understand what you are reading.
For the most part this only directs you to what type of doctor or tests you will need to check.
I self diagnosed myself with NCS, this helped me know what to do and say to actually get my GP to do some different tests that lead to me seeing a cardiologist who officially diagnosed me.
I've helped dozens of people, though sometimes I wish I was wrong as I wouldn't wish ANS issues on anyone.

For the most part you can't self treat. Though... we're all being very hypocritical here if we say this is completely impossible. Who here takes a Tylenol for a headache or migraine?
Prescription meds, with maybe the exclusion of some NSAIDs, are best left to a doctor to prescribe to avoid problems.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do yourself a favor and go to the doctor or free clinic if you're tight on money. There are rules and guidelines in place for reasons when it comes to prescription safety. Prescriptions are not something to gamble on- you're running a risk that someone is not really giving you the medicine you're paying for and substituting it with something else....which could make you really sick or even kill you. You're also playing with fire because if you order online without a prescription you're not ensured safety standards,etc that could potentially save your life. It's best to leave prescriptions up to the doctors to write....this is not something you want to take chances with to save a buck or two.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

For the most part you can't self treat. Though... we're all being very hypocritical here if we say this is completely impossible. Who here takes a Tylenol for a headache or migraine?
Prescription meds, with maybe the exclusion of some NSAIDs, are best left to a doctor to prescribe to avoid problems.
Seriously, are you comparing a headache and taking a Tylenol to diagnosing an infection and taking an antibiotic? That's like comparing apples and oranges IMO. Not even close. I personally think there is a HUGE different between an aspirin and a prescribed antibiotic. As another poster also mentioned, certain antibiotics only work on specific areas.

It's good that you were able to diagnose yourself, but few of the rest of us can nor should we do so.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^If you would read my posts and what you quoted you would see I was not. There's no need to turn stuff around and get all in a huff over something that I never posted. I was only pointing out that everyone self treats themselves with OTC meds to an extent almost every single day. Play devil's advocate/ seeing their side of things. In other words, tying to be fair when everyone was harping on the poster.

Maybe you know this, or maybe you don't - sometimes even headaches can be a symptom of something more serious. No one really gives it much thought, not even to the processes that cause the headache, before they reach for an OTC med for it.

Here's a nice little example that's probably pretty common (caught my MIL doing this) - A person may or may not know they have high blood pressure, it's untreated, and when it gets higher they get headaches. So to relieve the headache they take Excedrin (or a generic knock off). Only that particular OTC med has caffeine in, the person doesn't even know they're making their blood pressure worse and thinks that just taking one or two pills wasn't enough - so they take another or next time use an extra strength version...

Originally Posted by Yosemite

As another poster also mentioned, certain antibiotics only work on specific areas.
And I was one who said this. It's not so much that they only work on certain areas, to be a bit more specific, but are designed for certain types of bacteria - this is why an antibiotic used to treat a sinus infection can still clear out a lot of the good bacteria in your intestines.