Don't Know What To Make Of This

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wednesday night I left work after an hour. The left side of my chest feels...weird. When it bothers me it feels kind of like a grabbing sensation. I went to the hospital after I left work. Blood tests, heart rate, pulse, EKG and chest x-rays came back normal- they didn't show anything wrong.

I have a history of GERD. The doctor thinks it may be gas or indigestion but after taking Maalox and my acid reflux medication for almost two days it isn't any better.

I carried my clothes basket in from the car a few minutes ago and could feel it in my chest again as carried the basket.

Since the heart tests were normal I'm wondering if it's possible that I pulled a muscle. I don't remember doing anything that would cause this though.

I missed work last night but I'm going in tonight, I can't afford to stay home another day.

Any idea? Thoughts? Suggestions? If this is still going on by Tuesday (I have finals Monday so going then isn't an option) I'll see my doctor to see what he says.

Thank you.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be some sort of inflammation in the muscle or cartilage in that area, it tends to be a common cause of pain. They may be able to see something if they test ESR and/or CR protein looking for inflammation.

Though with your history of GERD, that seems the likely suspect. I'm surprised Maalox works for you. When I'm having problems nothing helps, not even prilosec or nexium.
You may need to have that further checked out. Have you had an endoscopy to look for damage? If so and it wasn't recent, maybe you need another one. Please follow up with your regular doctor. Things can easily be missed, and depending on the tech and doctors - not all have the same skill level. So repeating some of the test may be a good idea.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Could be some sort of inflammation in the muscle or cartilage in that area, it tends to be a common cause of pain. They may be able to see something if they test ESR and/or CR protein looking for inflammation.
yea, that.
i would follow up with your family Doc, He may very well want more tests, and a stress test.

or could be stress from working, and school?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to check with your doctor about wearing a holter monitor for 24 hours. It's a little uncomfortable, but you can still go about your business of work or school while your wearing it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cardiac problems don't always reveal themselves in some tests -- please take it easy, just in case this does turn out to be a heart issue. Hoping very, very hard that it isn't!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also suggest asking for a Vitamin D blood test to be done. It's not a standard one and most doctors don't test for it.

However, pain can be a symptom of low Vitamin D levels. I started out having left rib pain and it persisted for months and eventually the pain got worse and finally spread to my entire body. It's one of the things that kept me off work for as long as I've been. It took a pain clinic doctor to diagnose the fact that my pain was the direct result of having virtually NO Vitamin D in my body.

She put me on high doses of Vitamin D 3 times per week for 6 months. Within 2 months of starting the high dose my pain was noticeably diminished, by the end of 6 months it was about 75% gone. A year later after being on a daily dose of 1000 units, I was 100 percent pain free, save for recent back and neck injuries.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^For some reason, people with arthritis tend to have low or lower vitamin D levels even if they have no signs of osteoporosis (or related conditions). Those with chronic pain usually have problems with vitamin D, too.

Originally Posted by nurseangel

You might want to check with your doctor about wearing a holter monitor for 24 hours. It's a little uncomfortable, but you can still go about your business of work or school while your wearing it.
Better 24 hours then 4 days!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the replies.

Even with school and work I don't think I have that much stress or anxiety. I tend to not worry about things I have no control over.

I had a stress test this past May, that turned out okay. I don't remember the name of the test but I did have a scope placed down my throat because of my reflux.

Maalox doesn't work for my acid reflux, I was told to use it in case it was gas. I take Prilosec or the generic equivalent. It usually does the job but a couple times a year I end up having to use Protonix or some other prescription medication for a short time.

I'm convinced that I pulled or strained a muscle. It hurts most when I'm doing physical activity that involves moving my left arm. It's really sore. I lifted my arm up and could feel the soreness in my chest and up to my arm pit.

I'll see my doctor next week if it's still bothering me.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it could be a pulled or overstretched muscle. The 'grabbing' sensation you are feeling may be muscle spasms where they are trying to repair themselves, I have had this before and the pain was in my chest when it was actually my upper back that was pulled.

Let's hope that it is just that, and you make a speedy recovery!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH had a similar pain a few years ago and went to the ER because he honestly thought he was having a heart attack. Turns out he pulled cartilage in his rib cage. Don't ask me how...but he did. It mainly hurt when he moved a lot or took a deep breath but if he sat still he was fine.

I hope it's just that or a pulled muscle. Either way, take it easy!

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

Maybe anxiety?
I was going to say this as well. Even BEFORE I read you had finals.

I have been to the ER 3 times convinced I was having a heart attack, and it turned out to be anxiety.

It really stinks, because I am heavy and I do worry about heart disease. SO, I have no idea when I should go, and when I shouldn't. So I go anyway, just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not anxiety. I have soreness down my side to. I operate a forklift at work, pretty much non-stop, and I don't get much of chance to rest my left arm so it just adds more strain. It's more sore than it was yesterday. I have two days off now (Sun/Mon) and don't plan on doing much in the way of physical activity. Today will be a study day.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate the anxiety brush off... "broken leg? nope, just anxiety"

I hope it gets to feeling better over the next two days. If it's not feeling any better by Monday it may be time to call the doctor just in case there's more going on that should be checked.