Is that really how you pronounce your cat's name? Really?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking to Carol, CarolPetunia, yesterday. Butzie walks into the room and I immediately say "hello" to her, knowing full well that any TCS person would understand this interruption.

After that, Carol says, "Wait! What did you call her?" I said, "Butzie." Carol asked if that is the way I pronounce her name and said yes. Carol started laughing and she said, "Oh my! That is so much better than what I have been calling her, which is BUTT ZEE (please don't censor this or it doesn't make sense m
)

Anyway, Butzie's name rhymes with "tootstie," or "footsie," or "tootsie footsie!"

So, how do you pronounce your cats's names?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, Spaz and Jade, pretty standard pronunciations.
The fosters are all standard too, Mittens, Baby, Charlie, Tina and B.B. (Baby's baby, or mama's mini-me).

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with Carol on this one... I always read it as Buttzee.
Butzie is much cuter! Of course I always thought Amy's (luvmycat1's) cat Popsie was pronounced Poopsie. I know, silly me.

Frankie is pretty self evident I hope. Wickett I say Wick-It. He's named after the ewok in Star Wars... or the little hoops in Crocket depenting on who you ask.
I never knew the ewok's name until DH educated me.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
For some reason people really seem to have trouble with Freya's name...I have no idea why and no one believes me when I tell them Cotton's. Usually I just give up and tell people to call him "Dude" he comes to that too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Anyway, Butzie's name rhymes with "tootstie," or "footsie," or "tootsie footsie!"
I figured that was how her name was pronounced.

Sho is pronounced like "Show". The vet and vet techs always try to call him Shoe.... There's no u and no e in his name so I honestly have no idea where they're getting this.

I pronounce Tomas's name with a longer o. The irony, it was randomly picked though he and Sho share the same coat color and pattern, and are always together. They're my "pair" cats.

Edit: Does anyone else know what the name Tomas means?
If not, look it up.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are all pretty straight forward however Grizzlie will come to you regardless if you called her name or Bobs or Bakker-she just wants attention!

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured it was Buttsie too. I've always seen 'butzie' as "Bootsie", which to me, makes more sense.

Hennessy is pretty obvious, to my mind. Hen-es-see.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ginger is pronounced as it looks, not too much to deviate on there. Though one of her many nicknames is pochie, which I pronounce as two words, poo-cheeze

I also was pronouncing butzie as butt-zee, lol.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Hooda has had her name miss pronounced often. It is part my fault, I named her after that rolling hello sound cats make. Its better spelt Who-da , not 'Hoe-da', which is what the vet techs say.

My other cat is Binky. No margin on that name.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shark and Brandy are the easy ones, and Arwen is pronounced the same as the elves name in Lord of the Rings.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mai Sai - My Sigh

It's rather fun to call when I am trying to get him to notice me. His name mean "my friend".

Through sometimes I worry that it sounds to much like a female name. I should have thought about it more. Poor guy, when I took him in to get fixed, they shaved him first, thinking he was female

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another mispronunciation of Butzie here -- poor sweetie, having your name mangled, even only mentally, by so many dumb humans! I promise to retrain myself.

No surprises here: Cindy is, well, Cindy, and Fawn is like the baby deer. Looking back, none of the others have been particularly unusual, either.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think my cat's names are pronounced pretty easily.
Rosemary I thought you pronounced her name, "Boot-sie"

Mine are:
Velvet (vel-vet)
Isabella (Is- a- bell-a)
Kojak (KO- Jack)

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Popsie is pronounced. POP C, that's probably a no brainer.
Yes, you would think, wouldn't you? Alas, my brain has been pronouncing that poopsie