Check your halloween candy for chinese-made candy!!!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not to scare anyone, but...I had bought a bag of Mr. Mallow (marshmallow-type ghosts & pumpkins in a large bag) recently, never thinking to check if they were made in China (most candy is not here). I went ahead, and made about 200 treat bags for the kids (I always do this well before Halloween, as we get so many kids). For some reason, I had saved the bag, and when the news about the tainted with melamine cady from China broke, I checked the bag--yep, made in China AND ONE OF THE RECALLED BRANDS! I just got finished discarding 150-200 treat bags...I even trashed the other (American-made) candy that shared the treat sacks, just to be safe. Thank God I checked. I was going to discard that candy anyway, after hearing about the other recalls (I had not heard about this brand until today, when I thought to Google the name to see). I have been very sick the past week, so I did not get around to it (but certainly would have before tonight) as early as I wanted to; now, I feel too sick to go out, and buy more candy. Luckily, I have a stash of Halloween toys and stickers to give out, and just had to spend a couple of hours re-bagging for tonight--what a pain--but better safe than sorry, especially when kids are involved.

Please double-check the country of origin/google the brand name before giving out tonight!

No more food or drink, either human or pet, from China allowed in my house...I have been checking the country of origin on the cat food since the pet food scare last year.

Mr. Mallow was sold at The Christmas Tree Shops. I do not know where else it was sold.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Curious, were they not individually wrapped? How terrible you had to scrap ALL the bags because of one candy.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also won't buy any food or treats for my pets from China. Thanks for the heads up about the candy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Curious, were they not individually wrapped? How terrible you had to scrap ALL the bags because of one candy.
They were individually wrapped. The American candy that shared the sacks probably was ok, but I did not want to take a chance with the kids. I was was concerned that, since they were together since September, somehow the contamination would get onto the other *safe* candy. I know, I am paranoid!

I think the word got around that our house had no candy--this is the 1st time we ever had left-over treat bags! Usually, I run out part way into the evening.

I did give out little Halloween cans of Play-Doh--the kids loved that--but I only had about 40-60 of those, so it was down to a bag of Halloween stickers, a spider ring, and a little Halloween toy!