Sleeping under the covers, safe?

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have heard that cats do this but I just never had one that actually did. My male kitten likes to do this but maybe its a silly question but is this completely safe? He breathes abit funny with sounds through the noise at times through out the day as it is, like he is snoring but its awake status, now he wants to go under a heavy comforter and some sheets. I just dont want the little guy getting smothered.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My little girl sleeps under the covers next to me every night. I too worried about suffocation intially since I can't seem to breathe real well under there, but somehow they can breathe just fine. I love my little snuggler as she keeps me warm at night.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tino does that, while I sleep, too. Ducky does it during the day. You will just see a lump in the middle of the bed and know its him

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess it depends on how heavy of a sleeper you are. I wouldn't imagine that it's safe for the cat. There are so many stories where people have suffocated small children by rolling on top of them or being too close to them while sleeping in bed together. I am a very heavy sleeper and I typically move around a lot during the night. I'm afraid I'd squish the cat since I'm so much larger than he is.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wondered just how they breathe under the covers
But if you experiment yourself, you can do it - IMO its a bit stuffy. A friend of mine had a manx mix that used to go to the very bottom of the bed under the covers and sheet (where its tucked in tight) and sleep. She lived to be 18 yrs old.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoey is a cover diver. She has to get under the first blanket on the bed and then she borrows till she gets where she wants to be. I have caught her jumping up from the side of the bed getting under the covers before. There is always a big lump in the middle of the bed!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All 3 of mine sleep under the covers, Demetri & Ana cuddle up with me while Farley goes down the end by my feet even as kittens they knew to move if I rolled over, and their claws soon woke me up if I squashed them

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly and Zi sleep under the covers, but only ever for part of the night (I move a lot - and trust me, you know when you catch them, they tell you off!!), they do stay quite close to the top of the covers though, and come out when they have had enough

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only cats that ever got under the covers were my rexes. My mixed breeds and my Oci, Charlie will sleep on top of the covers. Only time Charlie is under the covers is when I'm trying to make the bed or put on new sheets

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Claire's my under cover kitty. She loves getting underneath the blankets to snuggle with me at night. During the day, she gets under the bedspread, so if I see a lump on the bed, I know it's Claire.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My little Siamese, Susie, always slept under the covers curled by my tummy. I'm a very deep sleeper and never had any issues with her being squashed. Bijou prefers to be covered to the neck with his head on my pillow. He does pull the top quilt down during the day to snuggle under there for his afternoon nap. Since I'm not at home I don't know if he gets all the way under or just to his head.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

My little girl sleeps under the covers next to me every night. I too worried about suffocation intially since I can't seem to breathe real well under there, but somehow they can breathe just fine. I love my little snuggler as she keeps me warm at night.
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I always wondered just how they breathe under the covers
But if you experiment yourself, you can do it - IMO its a bit stuffy. A friend of mine had a manx mix that used to go to the very bottom of the bed under the covers and sheet (where its tucked in tight) and sleep. She lived to be 18 yrs old.
They can do it because they aren't afraid they will soffocate to death.
They simply don't think about it.

My Maggie does this all the time when I'm laying on the couch. Only occasionally does she do this in bed. Usually when she does I know it's time to turn the heat on.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tessie always sleeps either under the covers cuddled next to me or on top of my pillow with her resting on my shoulder. I see nothing wrong with it becuase if she has a hard time breathing I'm sure she will come out.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my two both do it!!

my lil man sleeps on the sette and we have to leave him a pillow and a blanket and he pulls blanket up over him on the pillow whereas flash waits till blaine goes out to work (when im off of course) and dives straight under the covers

adeebm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine does it. I got him on Friday and was afraid he would suffocate the first night so I made sure there was an airhole. The next day I didn't and he's fine. BTW he goes all the way back and curls up by my feet. Cats must have amazing lungs!

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two both do it. Villy only stays under for a short time, and she prefers it if you bend your knees up, to make a little 'tent', then she sits under there. Roxy will just snuggle right under and stay there even when I get up!

It's funny when Roxy is under the covers, then Villy comes along, walks on the top of the covers and doesn't realise that Roxy is under there until she pops out and makes her jump!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessy

My two both do it. Villy only stays under for a short time, and she prefers it if you bend your knees up, to make a little 'tent', then she sits under there. Roxy will just snuggle right under and stay there even when I get up!

It's funny when Roxy is under the covers, then Villy comes along, walks on the top of the covers and doesn't realise that Roxy is under there until she pops out and makes her jump!
The other night I think I yelled at Jordan about 3 times for walking on Maggie when she was laying under the blankets with me. (well not really yelled, but told him it's not nice to walk on his sister
). I think he does it on purpose so that she goes away and he can cuddle with me.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thread a posted the other day http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179855

eazy has slept under the covers since he was a kitten, during the winter, he sleeps under the cover curled up aganist my chest, i am 6 foot 3 230 pounds , crushed him no, woke up a few times using him as pillow for head after he become a adut yes lol

he will crawel undrer the covers on the bed, under the rugs, to sleep all the time.