TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat's Meow › The Twilight Series
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Twilight Series

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Has anyone read these books? I see a movie is coming out in November. My best friend is OBSESSED and has gotten me interested in reading them. HOWEVER I put it on hold at the library and I am #327 on the waiting list for the first book and there are currently 7 books cirrculating. I guess I will be waiting a while.

How are they if you have read them?
post #2 of 18
If you don't want to wait - buy the books, or go to amazon and buy the e-books. You could have the whole series in a few minutes and wouldn't have to leave the house.

Another thought. If your friend is that into the series you could ask if she owns the books and borrow them.
post #3 of 18
Twilight and the second book, New Moon are out in paper back.. so it's only $8-$10 per book.

I actually didn't think I'd like these books because I had been told that they were somewhat like a romance novel, and I hate romance novels.

But when I saw the trailer for the movie, I decided I'd better at least read Twilight. I checked the library.. but I was NOT going to wait 6-8 months for a book that I could buy for $10.

So I bought it. And I am glad I did. So far I have only read Twilight and New Moon, but so far it's really good. Twilight was better than New Moon, IMO. But it picked up at the end.

I read Twilight in about 7 hours, and New Moon in about 9 or 10 hours. I really got into them.


But I really enjoyed them.
post #4 of 18
the more I hear about these books the more I want to read them I love vampires
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
the more I hear about these books the more I want to read them I love vampires
Same here. But I resisted the urge! The trailer of the movie is what made me want to read it. Only because I like to read the book before I see the movie.

But now I see the trailer and see so many things wrong with it!


But yeah. Stephanie Meyer does the whole vampire thing a lot different than what a supposed vampire really is. And some vampire lovers disliked what she did to them, changing the myths about them and such. But I liked the change. It wouldn't have been that good if he(Edward, male lead) hadn't been able to do some of the things that Sm made him able to do.
post #6 of 18
I read them since someone I knew said that they were soooo great. They let me borrow them and I finished them in about 2 days. I didn't really like the series even though like everyone else did that I talked to, there were a few neat ideas and I love vampires!!! so I am surprised I didn't care for the series. It was very easy reading, I guess I felt like it was written for 12 year olds, on that level I suppose Much different than a Stephen King vampire story
post #7 of 18
Well they are YA books, same age/reading level as the Harry Potter books.
I have all 4 and I love them, I read each one twice in a week, about to start them again
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
Well they are YA books, same age/reading level as the Harry Potter books.
Well that makes sense then. But I loved Harry Potter way more.
post #9 of 18
My 28 year old daughter insisted I read them after I firmly told her I had no interest in vampire books. I agreed to give Twilight a shot and WOW! I was hooked. She had bought all 4 books and I read all four within the week. I got no housework done but I thoroughly enjoyed them. Now we are impatiently awaiting the movie.
post #10 of 18
I'm reading twilight now. What is the order of the books?

Twilight
New moon
?
?
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbycats View Post
I'm reading twilight now. What is the order of the books?

Twilight
New moon
?
?
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
post #12 of 18
A friend of mine got me interested in the series and I got my mother and sister both hooked on them.
We're all going to see the movie together this weekend.
post #13 of 18
I heard one movie critic this morning say the movie is not anywhere as good as the books. I plan to see it anyway so I can form my own opinion.
post #14 of 18
Haven't read them. My 14 year old's friend has read all of them. Wants to see the movie too. I guess the series is aimed toward the 11-16 year old set. Though I'm not sure if I want my 11 year old reading book 4 or not.

I put the book on hold at the library. Currently 60 something on the list. Though I might break down and buy it for the kids for Christmas. Esp if it's only $8.

One of dd's friends said the whole series was just "silly". Kind of like a Harlequin romance novel (and I do admit- those things are cheesy and silly). But I don't want to tell my oldest she can't read the books (even though I have an issue with them). After all- I read Stephanie Plum books- and she doesn't exactly make smart decisions either. And that's a "candy" series too.

My 11 year old is kind of torn. On the one hand, she's got a friend (a friend I may add that I'm not exactly fond of- she,dd and 2 other kids got into trouble about a month ago, with all 4 kids winding up with some sort of a suspension) who has read all 4 books, and wants to see the movie. Then she's got another friend who isn't allowed at all to read ANY of the books.

The reviews I've read haven't been real good. We can't just go out right now and see any movie we want (tightening finances), and I'm not going to blow money on a movie that I might have enjoyed more at home. Or thought was utterly stupid (Transformers comes to mind lol).

Cheryl
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakymom View Post
Haven't read them. My 14 year old's friend has read all of them. Wants to see the movie too. I guess the series is aimed toward the 11-16 year old set. Though I'm not sure if I want my 11 year old reading book 4 or not.

I put the book on hold at the library. Currently 60 something on the list. Though I might break down and buy it for the kids for Christmas. Esp if it's only $8.

One of dd's friends said the whole series was just "silly". Kind of like a Harlequin romance novel (and I do admit- those things are cheesy and silly). But I don't want to tell my oldest she can't read the books (even though I have an issue with them). After all- I read Stephanie Plum books- and she doesn't exactly make smart decisions either. And that's a "candy" series too.

My 11 year old is kind of torn. On the one hand, she's got a friend (a friend I may add that I'm not exactly fond of- she,dd and 2 other kids got into trouble about a month ago, with all 4 kids winding up with some sort of a suspension) who has read all 4 books, and wants to see the movie. Then she's got another friend who isn't allowed at all to read ANY of the books.

The reviews I've read haven't been real good. We can't just go out right now and see any movie we want (tightening finances), and I'm not going to blow money on a movie that I might have enjoyed more at home. Or thought was utterly stupid (Transformers comes to mind lol).

Cheryl
I'm not sure I'd want my 14 year old to read these books either. When folks say it's for the younger people, I'm not sure I totally agree. As I said before, my daughter is 28 and of course y'all know I'm not exactly a spring chicken and I thought they were pretty "sexual", not in a pornographic way but probably in a "too much information" (TMI) way for very young girls. Maybe I'm just being a prude - I don't know.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I'm not sure I'd want my 14 year old to read these books either. When folks say it's for the younger people, I'm not sure I totally agree. As I said before, my daughter is 28 and of course y'all know I'm not exactly a spring chicken and I thought they were pretty "sexual", not in a pornographic way but probably in a "too much information" (TMI) way for very young girls. Maybe I'm just being a prude - I don't know.
No, not prude, but cautious! I'm 26 and think it's a bit sexual. However, the main character of the book is 17 at the beginning and turns 18 in the next book, so I would guess that the books were written for THAT age group.

I would never let an 11 year old read those books, and hope that my niece hasn't. Then again, my parents let me read Stephen King novels when I was 13, including Thinner.
post #17 of 18
I read Twilight and I'm just starting New Moon. I'm seeing the movie soon. I considered naming my new kitten "Edward"
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykitty3 View Post
I read Twilight and I'm just starting New Moon. I'm seeing the movie soon. I considered naming my new kitten "Edward"
Is your kitten black with a very white face? That's one of the comments the reviewer had this morning. He said the face makeup wasn't very good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat's Meow
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat's Meow › The Twilight Series