Switching foods Again!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to find a better dry food for my gang of four. They've been eating the Iams Healthy Naturals (which isn't as natural as the name would lead you to believe but hasn't been a bad food as far as some go) and switched them to From Nature which only 2 of the 4 approve of (one eats dirt in case it's food so his opinion doesn't count). Someone helpfully pointed out to me that I wasn't getting what I hoped for from that food anyway. I will be making another change possibly to Wellness if it fits the budget. I can get it here. If not that I don't know what but either way we're getting another food.

So, my question is this: currently, the cats are halfway between changing from the first food (Iams) to the second food (By Nature) They're getting half and half exactly. What's the best way to introduce the third food once I settle on it? Should I maintain the current mixture, pretend it's just one food, and begin adding the new food slowly to it? I could switch them back to the Iams and then try the change there. I just don't want to shock their systems.

Health issues: Seti is unbelievably picky about eating and Hemmy had chronic UTI's in the past but has had corrective surgery. He cannot block so that isn't a concern but can still get infections (hence my consideration of the Wellness food for him).

Sorry about the length. If you'd like to offer a suggestion on the type of food I'm open to it. We don't feed canned (I know lots think it's the best but it isn't an option) but do add water to Hemmy's dry. Also, we don't free feed.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have one with chronic UTI's, can I assume that he also has crystals and/or other bladder/FLUTD problems? The one piece of advice that I've picked up is to avoid fish flavored foods. Wellcore core is chicken/salmon. There is a Wellness flavor that is just chicken.

I used Innova for a while. My Muddy developed FLUTD, I've read that it has been known to trigger that condition in some cats. I've stopped using that one.

Max Cat chicken formula isn't the greatest, but its easy on the bladder. I use that as well as From Duck ala Veg right now.

Before you switch over to a new brand, I suggest you try the taste test. Pick up some sample bags of quality food and see if they eat it first. Mine refused about 6 brands before I settled on my current choices.

And when you switch for good, use whatever mix you have right now and start cutting in the new flavor. 25% new for week 1, 50% for week 2, 75% for week 3, then all the way over to new week 4.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will definitely try the taste test next time. I've never known any of them to be picky (except Seti but he's just a poor eater all around). At first they liked the new food but they've been turning their nose up at it now.

Hemmy does have the UTI's but since he has had corrective surgery it's much less of a concern. Plus, we learned that adding the water to his food (he literally has to drink the water off the top) was just what he needed to prevent any subsequent infections. Still, we don't want a poor food that will undue all our good work.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

If you have one with chronic UTI's, can I assume that he also has crystals and/or other bladder/FLUTD problems? The one piece of advice that I've picked up is to avoid fish flavored foods. Wellcore core is chicken/salmon. There is a Wellness flavor that is just chicken.

I used Innova for a while. My Muddy developed FLUTD, I've read that it has been known to trigger that condition in some cats. I've stopped using that one.

Max Cat chicken formula isn't the greatest, but its easy on the bladder. I use that as well as From Duck ala Veg right now.

Before you switch over to a new brand, I suggest you try the taste test. Pick up some sample bags of quality food and see if they eat it first. Mine refused about 6 brands before I settled on my current choices.

And when you switch for good, use whatever mix you have right now and start cutting in the new flavor. 25% new for week 1, 50% for week 2, 75% for week 3, then all the way over to new week 4.
Ditto ...

the link given is not the most current but the basics are there ... ie wet food is far superior for Uti cats than dry

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you decide to try Wellness, the company does give out free samples! Just contact them with the type of food you are interested in and the age/ages of your cats, and they will send you a little package!

Wellness Contact Form!

I contacted them because I was interested in trying their food for my babies when I got them in the summer, and they sent me a special kitten package with a sample of the dry and a can of the wet, as well as some information about all the Wellness foods, and a little notebook to keep my kitties' vet information and health information in! I feed Wellness wet foods to my two, and Taste of the Wild dry.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine said no to several healthy dry foods too

After lots of time and money, they picked Innova EVO. I also feed wet food daily, so that helps with UTI's (which mine have never had)

My poor cats ate various mixes of differnt percentages for awhile there. As long as they are not switched cold turkey to a new food 100% they should be ok. Use whatever theyre getting now as the base, and add slowly. Dont forget that some of these healthier food can be kind of rich in their tummies. Even if they get an upset stomach at first, it may go away. The cats will clearly let you know. Good luck!