Know of any good books?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading a book last night called "Dewey". It's a true story about a cat who lived in a library in Iowa. I cried at the end, but I recommend it to any cat person.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I just finished reading a book last night called "Dewey". It's a true story about a cat who lived in a library in Iowa. I cried at the end, but I recommend it to any cat person.
OMG... you too, huh? I was bawling my eyes out the last several chapters. My dad bought it for me for my birthday... no doubt because it has tow of my favorite words: library and CAT! Until recently, I worked in a library... so books and cats are two of my favorite things... Dewey just tore my heart in two. He was such a gorgeous kitty and his adventures were captured perfectly (I love the Dewey-Carry).

His full name was Dewey Readmore Books (Do We Read More Books, but also an homage to OG Readmore, the cartoon character from the 80's). And I am a bit partial to the redheads...

Another thumbs WAY up for this book!!

Amanda

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What books do you like>>??? Ya it was asked

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watership Down.

It's about rabbits, but it's not a warm and fuzzy story. It is, however, a classic (if it's not it should be).

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As if someone shoved that poor little cat through the return book slot!!

A good book depends on what you like

The twilight saga was good

Sean Costello's Here after (I don't know if you can get his books out of canada but he's amazing)

shopaholic books are good

hope that helps a little bit

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the books written by Doug Preston and Lincoln Childs. Also Kathy Reichs (the the TV show "Bones").

I've found that the Oprah book club selections are usually pretty good-I have her lastest "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle". Haven't read it yet but has been reviewed favorably.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you like Historical Mysteries? If you do I recommend PAPERWOMAN, THE BLACKSMITH'S DAUGHTER, and CAMP FOLLOWER, which is about a woman newspaper writer in the Revolutionary War.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

OMG... you too, huh? I was bawling my eyes out the last several chapters. My dad bought it for me for my birthday... no doubt because it has tow of my favorite words: library and CAT! Until recently, I worked in a library... so books and cats are two of my favorite things... Dewey just tore my heart in two. He was such a gorgeous kitty and his adventures were captured perfectly (I love the Dewey-Carry).

His full name was Dewey Readmore Books (Do We Read More Books, but also an homage to OG Readmore, the cartoon character from the 80's). And I am a bit partial to the redheads...

Another thumbs WAY up for this book!!

Amanda
I would say I didn't cry until the last 2 chapters, but when I did I was almost sobing. I also bawled at the end of Marley & Me. I love books about the human animal bond. There is something so wonderful about the bond that forms between people and animals. It is pure and untainted, unlike the bonds between many people. OK I'll stop, sorry to hijack the thread for a second.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! I like all kind of books, from fantasy to nonfiction. If someone really likes a book, I will try it even if it's not generally a genre I read. I've found a lot of good books that way, like "The Secret Life of Bees". Right now I am reading "Lisey's Story" by Stephen King. He's one of my favorites, though this isn't one of his best books, in my opinion.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you like fantasy... have you tried alternate reality books? technically they're under science fiction/fantasy. Look up Jasper Fforde. If you appreciate classic literature, you'll get his books... I'd start with The Eyre Affair and work through that series (although, not numbered). The Eyre Affair is where he introduces Thursday Next, his MC... and they're funny books...

I got sidetracked by the name Dewey... hence my not mentioning Fforde last night.

Amanda

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love to read too.

The Harry Potter books are some of my favorites. My brother turned me on to a fantasy book called Eragon, about a boy and his dragon. There is a sequel to that called Eldest. The kid who wrote these books was 16 when he started writing Eragon. The series was supposed to be a trilogy, but the 3rd book, Brisingr, wound up being too long, so he made a 4th book. I read up to the 3rd, now waiting for the 4th. Not something i thought id be interested in, but my bro practically twisted my arm to get me to read it. Now i love them.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For anyone who loves animals I always recommend the James Herriot books.
They are an older series from that were published in the 70's and 80's and are the story of a Veterinarian practicing in Yorkshire during the 30's 40's and 50's.

You may be able to find them in a used bookstore, or as a set in a bookstore like Coles. Most libraries have them though.

I have the set and have re-read them several times..

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Jodi Picoult fan. She's on the new york bestseller list for the majority of her books. I go to the library like once a week, I'm a big reader. I'm also a big christian author reader. Janette Oke is a favorite.

Leslie

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are into series, and like vampires, werewolves, etc, I would suggest the Anita Blake series by Laural K Hamilton. I'm hooked on them and anything that deals with the supernatural, but I would recommend to start at the beginning with "Guilty Pleasures" and work from there. The main character (Anita) goes through some...ummmm..interesting changes later in the series that are based on the earlier book.

Linsey's Story is good, but I agree it isn't his best. He's gotten a little off kilter the last few years. I still love Dean Koontz. His Thomas series is good. It starts with "Odd Thomas", and basically it is a guy that can see ghosts and has regular conversations with Elvis.

I normally read some strange stuff, so I'm not sure if I'm any help here.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could re-read the Harry Potter books any day.

I just finished reading Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen. It is about a woman who decides to cook every one of Julia Child's recipes from "Mastering the Art of French Cookery." However, the author, Julie Powell, has a fowl mouth and if that would upset you, don't bother reading it.

I also just finished Audition by Barbara Walters. It is fascinating but I am not sure I really like her after reading it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering the past thread I'm surprised that no one has suggested Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Considering the past thread I'm surprised that no one has suggested Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.
Who? I will gladly search for the names, but if you can clue me in I would be very appreciative.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Neil Gaiman try Stardust, American Gods, and his book with Pratchett - Good Omens. He has a somewhat dark sense of humor. He's most well known for the graphic novel series Sandman.

For Terry Pratchett - any of his Disc World series.

Fiction/fantasy stuff.