TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat's Meow › Know of any good books?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Know of any good books? - Page 3

post #61 of 87
I am waiting for Jodi Picoult's latest - Handle With Care - it doesn't come out here til April. Hurry up!

Is the Gargoyle any good?

I tried reading the twilight series. I can't say I like it.
post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwideus View Post
I am waiting for Jodi Picoult's latest - Handle With Care - it doesn't come out here til April. Hurry up!

Is the Gargoyle any good?

I tried reading the twilight series. I can't say I like it.
WOW I didn't even know she had a knew one coming out. I'll be buying that for sure and then probably Trade me it straight after that. I'm selling one on Trade Me at the moment.

I'm waiting for the Gargoyle it's on reserve at the moment!

I haven't got around to Twilight yet and I probably wont. I need to read Boy in the Striped Pyjamas now!!
post #63 of 87
I'm reading Kim Harrison's Dead Witch walking and i'm hating it. It's really boring...I need something fun to read Reading keeps me going...I love the feeling of being absorbed by a book but the last time that happened was a long time ago, when I read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon...well not too long a few months ago but everything i've read since then was boring- I find it really hard to find books that I like.
post #64 of 87
I bought Murasaki's after dark yesterday ...Anyone like him?
post #65 of 87
I read alll of the Twilight series. Loved them, and loved Twilight movie.
post #66 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
WOW I didn't even know she had a knew one coming out. I'll be buying that for sure and then probably Trade me it straight after that. I'm selling one on Trade Me at the moment.

I'm waiting for the Gargoyle it's on reserve at the moment!

I haven't got around to Twilight yet and I probably wont. I need to read Boy in the Striped Pyjamas now!!

I bought Handle with care today. I'm still waiting for The Gargoyle too!
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
I bought Handle with care today. I'm still waiting for The Gargoyle too!
Its out? Where from??
post #68 of 87
I bought it from the Warehouse, Kellye. It was $29.99 and you can enter a competition to win a chance to meet Jodi in the USA. I'm about 1/4 of the way through, it's amazing. One of the best yet so far!
post #69 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
I bought it from the Warehouse, Kellye. It was $29.99 and you can enter a competition to win a chance to meet Jodi in the USA. I'm about 1/4 of the way through, it's amazing. One of the best yet so far!
Ooh! I know where I am going!
post #70 of 87
I think you will enjoy it I'm about 1/2 way through now!

Let me know what you think. I'm trying to read slowly!
post #71 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
I think you will enjoy it I'm about 1/2 way through now!

Let me know what you think. I'm trying to read slowly!
I got it!

I haven't started it yet because I have to type a 1000 word essay on nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy by Monday - I had forgotten all about the darn thing until yesterday!!
post #72 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseangel View Post
I love to read. If anyone has any book recommendations, I'd appreciate them.
Often called the greatest book in the history of the English language, Ulysses by James Joyce. This is not an easy book to read but one that you will never forget.
post #73 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwideus View Post
I got it!

I haven't started it yet because I have to type a 1000 word essay on nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy by Monday - I had forgotten all about the darn thing until yesterday!!
Oh wow. You are good. I'm way too easily distracted!
post #74 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
Oh wow. You are good. I'm way too easily distracted!
I have only done about 64 words - another 936 to go. I am very easily distracted as well.
post #75 of 87
I finished it last night - I was really dissapointed with the ending but enjoyed the rest. Can't wait to hear what you think!
post #76 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
I finished it last night - I was really dissapointed with the ending but enjoyed the rest. Can't wait to hear what you think!
Just bought Handle With Care today!
post #77 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
Just bought Handle With Care today!
Do you think you will have time to read, with all that Animal Crossing time?
post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
Just bought Handle With Care today!
Yay! Im picking up my copy of The Gargoyle tomorrow
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwideus View Post
Do you think you will have time to read, with all that Animal Crossing time?
Probably, now that my Nook's is only open 10 - 10. :o(
post #80 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
Yay! Im picking up my copy of The Gargoyle tomorrow
I am leery of the Gargoyle - what genre is it?
post #81 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwideus View Post
I am leery of the Gargoyle - what genre is it?
According to Wellington City Library - it falls under the categories of:

Burns and scalds Patients fiction
Sculptors fiction
Gargoyles fiction

The summary:

"After rolling his car down an embankment a man lies in hospital with severe burns to most of his body. He endures his pain, his disfigurement, and the excruciating treatments to remove his dead and rotting skin only in the hope of getting well enough to be able to end his life. But then Marianne Engel sculptor of gargoyles appears. She is convinced she nursed him when he was burned once before, long ago. And she unravels a tale of their meeting in 14th century Germany at the monastery of Engelthal. Weaving stories within the storyfables of love in Japan, Iceland, Italy and England Marianne slowly brings beauty and love into his life. The Gargoyle is a wild, brilliant, beautiful journey, sweeping across centuries and continents. When it ends youll want to read it again. The author Andrew Davidson was born in Manitoba and graduated in 1995 with a BA in English Literature from the University of British Columbia. He ahs worked and lived in Japan on and off for several years, teaching English and writing English lessons for Japanese websites. The Gargoyle is his first book. He lives in Manitoba, Canada"--Provided by publisher.

And the source: http://whekenui.wcl.govt.nz/cgi-bin/...540+775607+1+0
post #82 of 87
Thread Starter 
I finally got Dewey upon recommendation, but I haven't read it yet. Steve & Me by Terri Irwin (about the Crocodile Hunter) is also very good, though it has some disturbing cases of animal cruelty that I really didn't like reading about.
post #83 of 87
I was at the library yesterday and found the ultimate book to read if you happen to like cats. It is "Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams. This book is about cats and told from the cat's prespective. There are some real cool cats on the front and the back states:

Williams understanding of the nuances of feline behavior and psychology, as well as his riveting storytelling and memorable characters make the book a classic of its genre. - Cat Fancy Magazine.

It also says:

For anyone who loves and understands cats...a fantasy of epic proportions in the vein of "Watership Down."

So I say: Anybody here like cats and like to read?
post #84 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
I was at the library yesterday and found the ultimate book to read if you happen to like cats. It is "Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams. This book is about cats and told from the cat's prespective. There are some real cool cats on the front and the back states:

Williams understanding of the nuances of feline behavior and psychology, as well as his riveting storytelling and memorable characters make the book a classic of its genre. - Cat Fancy Magazine.

It also says:

For anyone who loves and understands cats...a fantasy of epic proportions in the vein of "Watership Down."

So I say: Anybody here like cats and like to read?
I do! I do! Sounds like a great book!! Hope I can get a copy & get the time to read it. Excellent suggestion
post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
I was at the library yesterday and found the ultimate book to read if you happen to like cats. It is "Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams. This book is about cats and told from the cat's prespective. There are some real cool cats on the front and the back states:

Williams understanding of the nuances of feline behavior and psychology, as well as his riveting storytelling and memorable characters make the book a classic of its genre. - Cat Fancy Magazine.

It also says:

For anyone who loves and understands cats...a fantasy of epic proportions in the vein of "Watership Down."

So I say: Anybody here like cats and like to read?
Oh, I read Tailchaser's Song! I loved it! I must have loaned it out because it's nowhere to be found. BTW, I also read Watership Down a few years ago. That was one of my favorite books! I still have that one, I might read it again since my memory is only good for about 100 books. .. like my computer, I think I need more memory
post #86 of 87
I finally got the Gargoyle today and Kieran picked up the first book from the Disc World series - has anyone read this? Ta
post #87 of 87

I love that book about dewey!It's where the boy/girl rubbed his fur the wrong way!I'd prefer the Little house on the prairie series,Cronicles of Narnia books,and the Hardy Boys series myself.I don't really like the nancy drew books.The Hardy Boys are my favorite ones besides the Cronicles of Narnia books.Was I helpful any?rbheart.gif 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat's Meow
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat's Meow › Know of any good books?