Yes, Christmas is just 8 weeks away! (rant-ish)

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe another Christmas is just around the corner. I know people in the U.S are preparing for Halloween and Thanksgiving, but i was wondering if anyone is starting their plans for the Christmas dinners and such?

Is there anything different that you are doing this years? Are you cooking something special, or have new additions to the family? Etc

This is our first Christmas in the new house. We are having both my mums side, and dads side. But this is a first. When my grandpa passed away in 2003, i had not actually seen him or my grandpa in maybe 7 or so years (short but sad story) And had not spoken on the phone to them in about a year.

Anyway. I don't think my dads parents and my grandma have seen eachother since my christening 24 years ago. So they will be under the same roof sharing the same Christmas. And yes we all live in the same state.

It's actually scary for me. I love my grandmother to bits, and dads side of the family is well....they share the same blood, but we are nothing alike. I cannot completely be myself at Christmas time due to alot of that side being Catholic & born agains etc. I know there are alot of Christians here and you are all great, so please don't be offended. But mum, grandma and dad know my beliefs. From past experience my aunt and uncle would probably start screaming at me and try to stop me from 'walking with satan' (whos existence i don't believe in but that's another long story) So it will be a challenge..

But i want to bring as much English Christmas as possible, considering that side is small. My father says he is in 'charge' of the plans. He cannot cook to save his life, and i assume he is going to let his mother take over OUR kitchen. Which makes me want to tear my hair out because as much as i love my nana, her cooking is extremely oily (she is Hungarian) and i barely touch her food since going off red meat and changing my diet.

So, one thing i've decided to make is a Summer pudding. For those who don't know, it's really quite simple. Mixed berries, day old white bread, sugar. 3 ingredients!! Combine the sugar and berries in a pan on the stove, cook for 3 mins till berries have softened and sugar dissolved. Lay bread into a bow. Pour in berries. Top with more bread, cover in cling wrap, weigh down with a plate. Refrigerate overnight. The next day turn it upside down onto a plate, cut into wedges and serve with something nice and creamy. The bread turns bright red btw, it's beautiful. Easy!

Oh and today as an experiment (as i've never made scrolls before) i am going to attempt to cook chelsea buns, which are scrolls with spices and dried fruit.

Yes i borrowed an English cooking book from my grandmother months ago and am finally using it lol.

Also even though there was fruit when we moved in, it was near the end of the season. So this Christmas we will have a full crop of plums, pears, apples, nectarines, apricots, grapes, strawberries and not to mention a whole bunch of leafy greens and veges as well.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant.

So, what are you guys doing differently or extra special?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That summer pudding sounds great. My niece will be coming home for Christmas with her new baby, so we hope to spend a lot of time with them. She lives in Texas and we don't get to see much of them. In the meantime, my sil is worried because she may have to work on Christmas Day. The family traditionally goes to her home on holidays. I told her not to stress, that we could have dinner together on a different day.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
probably nothing, I'm off so I will get my brother so he doesn't have to spend Christmas alone. I don't get along with DH side of the family very well except for his mom. My mom always works and I cant stand her DH or his family So it will probably just be a quiet day here. I'll make Turkey my brother and I hate ham, with a small ham for DH some sweet potatoes, stuffing, mashed potatoes, Some kind of incredible tea my aunt sent me from England for Christmas, banana pudding(my brother would die if I didnt make it for him) and some peach cobbler not sure what else will I will change/add before hand though!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This year I won't be seeing my mum and dad and i'm very upset by it since we're a very close family (they moved to a different town hour drive away) and I have to work all christmas

I'm gonna maybe try my hand at my first turkey this year if I can get a day to cook it :|

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emma, your scrolls and pudding sound wonderful! Wish I could hop a plane!

About the religious differences... a lot of people insist that Christmas is just a big birthday party for Jesus, but I think it's really about family -- and certainly we get all the presents, don't we?

Maybe the idea is that "whatsoever you do for the least of these, you do for Me," so all those presents we give each other really are going to Jesus. (But if that's the case, Jesus must have, like, twelve billion fondue pots by now. What do you buy for a man who has Everything? Literally?
)

But seriously: since not everybody believes the same way, a family Christmas should not be a dogma-bound religious event -- it should be a time of love and kindness and gratitude for another year together. If anyone says anything unkind about your private beliefs, just smile and remind them of that.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am NOT a holiday season person. Hate them, with a passion. It is a stressful time when we seem to try to cram all family things into a few months out of the year to just be all lovey and thankful and all that and it just gets too much for me. The rush of insanity starting the day after Thanksgiving to me is is, well, insane, then it does not stop till New Years, and dear God hope your not too worn out, too stressed out or just plain enough already and don't have FAB plans for the day.
I wish I could hibernate through it all and wake up Jan 2nd.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

All my christmas shopping is done so i just have to wrap them now
My sister is having us this year for lunch so i can have a stress free day for a change
Wow! You are awesome!

I cannot even believe that it is only 8 weeks away! I am not as prepared as you are.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Wow! You are awesome!

I cannot even believe that it is only 8 weeks away! I am not as prepared as you are.
It's the first time i've been prepared
I started the end of august and finished 2 weeks ago. It was much easier because when i saw something for someone i just bought it without having to think what to buy?.

I'll be doing it again next year as well

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I actually went out today to buy some Halloween stuff at 50% off and got a great idea for gift from a fellow bargain hunter. She was buying a bunch of costumes in the same size so I asked her how many little ones she had. She proceeded to tell me she was buying them for a "dressup" box for her grand daughter, thought what a wonderful idea & have started one for my grand daughter for Christmas gift. I hope she likes it as she loves to play dressup. I think I will find a smaller toybox, paint it, and do some stenciling. I have made her a big toybox, shelf/coat rack, and headboard that i have painted white & put tea roses, butterflies & her name on all of them. As you can tell she is my only grand child and a little "Pampered" not spoiled by me & DH.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But seriously: since not everybody believes the same way, a family Christmas should not be a dogma-bound religious event -- it should be a time of love and kindness and gratitude for another year together. If anyone says anything unkind about your private beliefs, just smile and remind them of that.
Well said.
Emma, since Yule will be over anyway those who aren't "in the know" as to your beliefs still have no reason to know. Treat this Christmas celebration as just a big family get-together. If someone wants to say grace before your meal, send your prayer to the deity you want to receive it.
And about letting someone else take over your kitchen---is there any way you can make the main dish(es) and ask everyone to bring a covered dish or two?
You'll get thru this just fine.