My Kitten has FIP :(

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you remember I made a post about a week ago that my little Kirby was acting odd after I got back from vacation. He is eating/drinking and using the litterbox normally- just wouldn't really play and just wants to sit on my lap and sleep.

Well I just felt like something wasn't right so I took him to the vets today-- my vet is pretty sure he has wet FIP... I'm so sad...

She did a blood test and he's highly anemic, his belly is bloated with yellow fluid. He's also lost some weight. She send they can send the fluid and blood away for a test but lots of times the tests really aren't conclusive for FIP... I don't know what to do except make him comfortable. Would you go ahead and send away for a test? It's $200 but the money's not really a big deal. I think I might go ahead and do the test because otherwise I'll feel bad just doing nothing....

Should I separate my cats? I have an adult cat who's not related to my kitten. The vet said to put them in separate rooms and not let them use the same litterbox. But I've been reading a lot on here saying that it's not contagious.....

This really stinks....poor little guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I also feel bad because I went on vacation and that might be what stressed him out and caused the FIP. I had my brother who comes over all the time stay at my apartment and watch the cats so I thought I was doing the right thing.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers for him.
My Yoshi was pts last Jan from kidney stones and they belive dry Fip.
The test was pos but that dosent mean he had it.
He was given 6 months to 2 years but only lasted 8 months.
I would gte the test and hope he can live.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry that Kirby is ill and that you've gotten an FIP diagnosis. Those three letters are horrible to anyone who owns cats.

I would say go ahead and get the test done. As you said, if you don't, you will wonder. However, blood tests don't really say much...the test of the fluid would be slightly more conclusive. You are correct though - there is no conclusive way to test for FIP while the cat is still alive.

Some of the symptoms you've listed are signs of FIP. However, they can be symptoms of other diseases as well.

If your cat is eating, drinking, and using the litter box well, please do not let this be a death sentence for your cat. There are treatments that can help.

I would recommend posting about Kirby on this group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FIPCatSupport/. There are folks there that know A LOT about FIP and can help with differential diagnoses, treatment options, etc.

that things start to turn around for Kirby soon! Keep your head up...I know it can be a hard time!

Edited to add: I'm not sure about separating your cats. FIP is not contagious...coronavirus is...but it is likely that your other cats already have that if they have been sharing a litter box with Kirby. I would have a hard time separating my sick cat from the rest of my cats. Do not blame youself...I doubt you going away was the cause, and even if it was, there was no way for you to know!

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Kirby didn't make it

Last night his health quickly declined- he was real wobbly when walking and refused to eat or drink anything. This morning we found him under the couch with urine all over himself. His legs were stiff and stretched out and he was ice cold. His breathing was very shallow, and his eyes were totally dilated. He looked like he was in so much pain so we had him put to sleep this morning.

The only thing that makes me feel a little better is that he didn't suffer long. I'm almost 100% sure it was FIP since he went so fast.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

I am so sorry, its very sad. What is FIP? How could it have been caused by you going away?
It's when the coronavirus (that most cats have) mutates. Vets aren't sure what causes the mutation but some theories are stress or genetic factors. I don't know if me going on vacation stressed him and triggered it. Oh well, nothing I can do now

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so very sorry. i lost my boy to FIP last october and it haunts me to this day how quickly and aggressively the disease took over him.

little kirby is free from pain now and safe across the bridge.

you had no part in causing his death.

RIP little soul.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Kirby.
Wet FIP does take them way too fast and it does sound like that's what he had. Most cats are exposed to the coronavirus. Only a few cats ever develop full blow FIP from it and those seem to be genetically predisposed to it. Please don't blame yourself over this. If he was genetically predisposed, there is nothing that you could do to prevent this.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I SO hate seeing those three letters.
RIP Kirby; my first Smudge died of FIP about 3 years ago now, and it was just terrible. I'm glad Kirby didn't suffer.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was really sorry to hear about Kirby. My Manny is about the same age and I can't even imagine. How sad.

straymagnet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so very sorry about Kirby! He is lucky to have been so loved
even though his life was short.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about Kirby. Those three letters will always startle anyone who ever has come into contact with that *&^% disease, it is just so unfair.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your Kirby. My little Lena developed FIP and it took her very fast as well. She was about a year and a half. I learned alot about that horrible disease during the 6 days between taking her to the vest the first time, and taking her in to be PTS, because by then she had totally stopped eating and she, also, was wobbly and weak.

She came from a colony, and it's prevelant in multi-cat environments. And her brother, Larry, is fine and healthy, so I do believe that they're genetically predisposed....if they're going to get it, they'll get it. But it's such a vile thing to happen to a kitty.

But he's at the bridge now, all healthy and happy and you gave him a good home while he was here.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetKara

Poor Kirby didn't make it

Last night his health quickly declined- he was real wobbly when walking and refused to eat or drink anything. This morning we found him under the couch with urine all over himself. His legs were stiff and stretched out and he was ice cold. His breathing was very shallow, and his eyes were totally dilated. He looked like he was in so much pain so we had him put to sleep this morning.

The only thing that makes me feel a little better is that he didn't suffer long. I'm almost 100% sure it was FIP since he went so fast.
I'm so very sorry this has happened. But when you found poor Kirby in such poor condition, you gave him the greatest act of kindness of all when you took him to the vetinary clinic and asked to have his suffering ended. Again, I'm so sorry.