Neighbour abandoned cat

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ^#$#@^ing neighbours just bought a cat, and just had a baby the other day. They've decided to get rid of the poor cat, so now it's just walking around outside, meowing at everyone it sees. The cat is young, thin and was previously an inside only cat.

I don't like seeing homeless cats, but my mom won't let me take her in. Her solution? Call the Humane Society. Yeah right. Nobody here adopts cats; therefore she will just be put down.

Other neighbours across the street have threatened to kill/get rid of any cat that goes on its property.

What should I do?

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, be prepared to do a lot of research and set aside a weekend to make your plan work and be successful. This will not work unless you really put the time and energy in, and cover all the bases.

At this time of year, the most successful way to place a stray cat (unless you have lots of money to pay a group to take it) is to look online thru your local newspaper or call the local PetCo/Petsmart. Your goal and your first step is to find out where there will be cat adoption events that weekend and which groups or shelters are doing the events.

When you see X or Y cat group doing an event, research the group doing the event on the internet too, to make sure they are reputable. Don't stop researching until you locate and line up at least 3 or 4 cat adoption events by 3 or 4 different groups in your area so you have multiple options.

If the sponsor (the group doing the actual adoptions) is listed as a no-kill shelter or group, take the cat to the adoption event. Tell the sponsor group that you called the store (where the event is being held) earlier in the week and that the people from the store told you to bring the cat to the event. Say that the people from the store said the group is a partner with the store and they will take your cat on behalf of the store.

Then be prepared to cry and beg the group if there is any resistance. Offer to do laundry for their group or help with a fundraiser or take pictures of the kitties, or anything else they need. Tell them you cannot foster the kitty but you will help with every adoption event until the kitty finds a home. Offer to help them find volunteers.

Just don't give up. All that most strays need an advocate like you who is willing to take the time to find out what to do to get them into a safe place or another home, and then to follow through. Good luck, and for the sake of the kitty, don't give up. You are one in a million and I wish there were more like you.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that the Humane Society in my area goes to great lengths not to euthanize adoptable cats. While caring for a feral/stray cat, several part Persian cats also appeared. I brought the first one home with me, but then over the course of the next week, 2 more showed up and then a month later another one. I had no room and did not want to take them to a shelter especially during kitten season, but had no other choice. Luckily, all three were adopted after being spayed/neutered. Perhaps they would help out, after all, that is what they are supposed to do-keep animals from being homeless. Good for you that you care so much for this cat. Is there any chance that your neighbors would reconsider and begin to take better care of her?

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The humane societies in different areas have different policies. Just make sure whichever shelter you approach has a strong no-kill policy.

Even shelters that are no-kill will swap cats that are not "moving fast enough" with kittens, at kill shelters, unfortunately.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You said they "bought" the cat; is it a purebred of some type? If so, there are breed-specific rescues around.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

My ^#$#@^ing neighbours just bought a cat, and just had a baby the other day. They've decided to get rid of the poor cat, so now it's just walking around outside, meowing at everyone it sees. The cat is young, thin and was previously an inside only cat.

I don't like seeing homeless cats, but my mom won't let me take her in. Her solution? Call the Humane Society. Yeah right. Nobody here adopts cats; therefore she will just be put down.

Other neighbours across the street have threatened to kill/get rid of any cat that goes on its property.

What should I do?
Is there any way you can convince your Mom to let the cat in on a temporary basis while to try to re-home it? The cat will die left out, having no experience as an outdoor cat. Explain to your mom that you do not want to keep the cat, but want a good home to find for it. Let her come on here to this site, some poeple are just uneducated about how things work regarding unwanted animals.
You can leave food out for the kitty, provide outdoor shelter for the kitty if this is all your Mom will allow.
Why do your neighbors want to kill cats? You can report them if this is what they do.

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate people who view pets as disposable baby surrogates. Makes me want to throw them outside. Look around at the no kill shelters like others suggested. You do have to be careful though, since some animal hoarders pose as no kill shelters.

At the very worst case, a possibility for adoption and a quick, painless death at the kill shelter is better than being run over by a car, starving to death, or being shot or poisoned by the neighbors.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how I feel your pain! and anger!! I came home tonite to learn the young druggy people who moved out a few weeks ago threw their cat outside when they moved.

I live right across from the beach, there is so much traffic. I am concerned for it. It is only 6 months old.

The maintainance guy from my building is on the lookout for it also, as well as 2 of my neighbours. I got another lady who has cats and lives in another apartment complex to be on the lookout also. they all have seen him, but have been unable to get him.

I went out looking also. I am gonna keep an eye out all weekend while I am home. I left some food out hoping it will eat a little if it finds it. More than likely the rats will get to it first.

I just wish they had left it in the hallway or something. There are a TON of us in this building INCLUDING the maintainance people who would make sure it was taking care of.

It is a black and white kitty too which is my weakness. I do hope I can find it soon!! Not that I can keep it but I look at my 3 and I feel sick.

Anyway.....just some advice for you. Give the cat rescue societies a chance. Like the other person said, it is better to have SOME chance than none. Some people get cats in your area...you did!
He just may be okay. Than go egg/shaving cream your neighbours house.
They deserve it!

While I was talking to the other ladies in my building I learned that my next door neighbor in the apartment right across from mine who had a BEAUTIFUL Alaskan Malamute left him in THE CLOSET when she moved. Can you believe it?? She was horrible to him anyway. Never walked him----ever. He is a huge dog too.

The maintainance person found him 3 days after she moved. Good news is they took him to a local vet and he was adopted the very next day. He was truly a beautiful dog, I am not suprised at all he was taken so quickly.

People are just so stupid.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope you find the black and white kitty. Thank goodness there are alot of people looking out for him and hopefully he will be found and taken care of.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I had a hard time sleeping last night. I hate it when things effect me like this.

I hope you are able to resolve your issue also. Kids can do a great job of wearing down their parents.
Thats how I got my first kitty.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi:

I was in the same situations months ago when my neighbors decided to let their kitty out and left it there hungry all day while they worked. he started coming to our home and I felt so sorry for him that I started feeing him. They didn't care for the precious kitty so I found him a new home and he is happy and well taken care of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I haven't seen their cat since the day after I started this thread. I hope they had a change of heart and took it back inside!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so too! I haven't seen the b&w kitty around my neighborhood either.
I am choosing to think that someone found it and is taking care of it.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know about Canada, but here in the states...abandoning an animal is a crime and you can call the police about it. I know that is what I would do.