New Kitten

christen specht

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got a new addition to the family. Little baby Cheeto! Hes just now 7 weeks old and hes so cute!

I have a few questions that I was hoping to get some answers for. When will he be old enough to start flea and worm treatments. He has both. We're giving him baths to help with the flea problems but he does have quite a few. Any help will be appreciative! Thanks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would schedule a vet appointment. The vet can check for worms and treat him and let you know when to start the flea treatment. I would use Frontline or Advantage - NOT flea collars.

Hopefully the flea combing now will get them all. Where did you get your kitten from? 7 weeks old is really too young to be away from mom and siblings - they are still nursing at that age. Ideal age to adopt is a minimum of 10-12 weeks old.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flea collars are highly poisoneous and if the cat/kitten gets it in its mouth they can get sick and die. And they really don't work anyway. Its better to use a flea collar cut up in the vacuum cleaner then on the cat.

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet can also give you a pill called Capstar. It will kill all fleas usually in one, MAYBE two pills (to kill off any eggs that might hatch)

It costs like 6 bucks for one pill.

That is wha I have always used on our flea-y kittens that we have rescued. A good bath, NOT with flea shampoo, is always good too.

You should take your little one to a vet anyway, since they are a new addition.

Congratulations!

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

7 weeks old is really too young to be away from mom and siblings - they are still nursing at that age. Ideal age to adopt is a minimum of 10-12 weeks old.
Ditto.

They are still learning a lot from mom and siblings at this age. I have a kitchen full of 7 week old kittens. I still have another month before I can find them homes. Oooh and they are CLIMBING the walls!!