Question Of The Day - Wednesday, October 29th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning!

It was supposed to snow last night, but it looks like the ground is just wet this morning. It's pretty cold out...34 degrees F.

Here's todays question.

Now that winter is practically upon us, how do you keep warm? Do you like flannel sheets, down comforters, or electric blankets? Do you keep a special heater or fire place going?

I keep the thermostat down fairly low (it's programmable, and down to 62 at night and when I'm away, and only 67 when I'm home.) I like to wrap up in a warm snuggly robe and slippers. I curl up in a quilt to read, and the girls usually warm my lap. I'm not big on down comforters, electric blankets or flannel sheets. I have a couple of quilts that I've made that come out when it gets bitter cold, but for the most part, I don't change much in the bedding department...just an extra cotton blanket or two. The girls like to snuggle with me at night in the winter...they're not too big on snuggling in the summer.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I haven't changed the beds to the flannel sheets yet but the wool quilts have been on them since latter part of September.

We have a couple of down throws on the sofa in the family room that we use plus one on the sofa and another on the chair in the living room.

Since we heat our home mainly with wood the family room will get quite toasty sometimes to the point of wearing t-shirts and shorts!! The cats like it as they will lay of the rug by the stove.

The house is electric heat (built in 1977) and we have programable thermostats in most rooms set fairly low. We usually don't turn the heat on in the bedrooms at all since the family room where the stove is, is below these rooms. With the new ceiling though we will have to see if that affects the warm air circulation.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I HATE being too warm, so we just have the same comforter on the bed all year long. I really hate this time of the year when the heat has to be turned on, artificial heat makes me miserable for some reason. I'd much rather be cold and put a pile of kitties on top of me!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally keep the thermostat set at the same temp all the time. I have a couple of big sweatshirts I wear around the house if it's chilly. I do have flannel sheets on my bed during the winter, and a very heavy comforter.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use flannel sheets and down comforters all year 'round, lol. It's always chilly and damp here by the shore.

We have a furnace in the basement (those things freak me out so I make sure it is well maintained every year). It blows very hot so we just turn it on now and then to take the chill out of the house, then turn it off again. We never leave it on the thermostat, even at night.

We wear hoodies at home and I love to wear thick wool socks at home to keep my feet warm.
Hot tea is also a good way to warm up. We have wool and down throws for the sofas, and a fireplace that we like to use a lot.

I've been tempted several times to turn the heater on in the summer but the Texan in me just can't do it...

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must be a wimp---I freeze all winter long. The thermostat is on 72, I have an electric blanket on the bed and an electric throw on the sofa and my wing chair. I wear insulated sox, sweatshirts once the outside temps hit 60, and in the winter I'll have on a thermal shirt under my sweatshirt. We have a century old home and even with a new furnace I'm always cold. Our bedroom is on the 2nd floor, north side of the house, so it can get a little chilly up there. Our shower is in the basement and our furnace is so effecient the temp never gets above 60* down there. I even use a small heater for my feet when I'm sitting at my desk.

DH & DD, of course, sit around in t-shirts all winter.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep the thermostat at 64 all day and night. I just put more layers on if I get cold. I have two nice, heavy couch blankets, and drink lots of hot tea.

At night I use flannel sheets, a down comforter, a fleece blanket AND I put a hot water bottle in the foot of the bed before we go to sleep. Plus, Gus curls up between us to sleep, and Ramsay lays on my feet next to the hot water bottle.

When we go "up north" the house is heated with wood, and it gets so hot I usually have the window cracked open.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like lots of blankets, warm clothes, sweaters and I just bought a new space heater a few weeks ago that makes it nice and warm. I hate being cold.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
We have the flannel sheets on the bed and the flannel winter quilts pulled out...much to the delight of the kitties.

Our heat is natural gas, so we also have a programmable thermostat that drops the heat at night - I try to put off turning it on as long as possible. We also keep the curtains drawn the moment it starts to get dark because the house is 90 odd years old and holds the heat well.

You know winter's on it's way the first morning you wake up with both kitties burrowed into your covers.

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm VERY hot natured and keep my thermostat on about 65 in the winter. I love the feeling of wearing a cozy hoodie, sweatpants, and fuzzy socks while I'm in the house. As far as bedding, I have an extra quilt that I put on top of my comforter and that keeps me toasty warm at night.
I also figure that Willie will be an extra warming source this winter with his long plush fur. I need to work with him to sit on my feet while I sleep!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

I keep the thermostat at 64 all day and night. I just put more layers on if I get cold. I have two nice, heavy couch blankets, and drink lots of hot tea.

At night I use flannel sheets, a down comforter, a fleece blanket AND I put a hot water bottle in the foot of the bed before we go to sleep. Plus, Gus curls up between us to sleep, and Ramsay lays on my feet next to the hot water bottle.

When we go "up north" the house is heated with wood, and it gets so hot I usually have the window cracked open.
I'm from Michigan too! Where's "up north" to you? We used to have a cottage between West Branch and Rose City, on Clear Lake. Gosh, I loved it up there!!!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I'm from Michigan too! Where's "up north" to you? We used to have a cottage between West Branch and Rose City, on Clear Lake. Gosh, I loved it up there!!!
I'm from Alpena, but my fiance and I have been going to school in Detroit the last 2 years. We still go to Alpena, or "up north" as they say down here, every chance we get. I miss the trees!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We already have used the heater.
I also have alot of warm blankets I use.
We keep the heat at 65 when we are not home and 72 when we are.
I also like slipper socks.