I have the worst luck!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In June I irritated an old back injury at the gym and was going to see a chiropractor. Finally 3 weeks ago I was 100% symptom free but continued to go weekly for maintenance. Since my schedule for work has picked up I was scheduled to go for maintenance once very 2 weeks, with my next visit being this coming up Friday.

So what happens? The idiot driver of the Handi Transit vehicle that I was in last Friday gets into an accident, 100% his fault!

From the time I got into the car he ranted and raved about his tight schedule and the traffic and how late he was going to be etc. etc.

He was travelling West on a street where there are 2 turning lanes to turn left: an inside one and an outside one. The inside lane requires you to turn left and go back down a street that takes you East whereas the outside lane allows you the option of turning East or carrying on in a Northerly direction. The driver was in the inside lane.

Instead of turning left and going back in the Eastern direction as required in that lane, he went North. There was a car in the outside lane that was turning left to go East. The driver of the car I was in saw a car to our right move into a left hand turn, so the Handi Transit driver slammed on his brakes and we came to a full jarring stop in the middle of the intersection, to prevent a collision with that vehicle. A car that was coming from behind us hit us.

I was in the back passenger seat without a seat belt because the belt was about 2 inches too short and there was no seat belt extension available for me to use. There was an elderly lady in the front passenger seat who was also not wearing a seat belt because the driver had not helped her to put it on as per Handi Transitâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s policy.

When he came to a jarring stop, I was flung forward and slammed back into the back of the seat. And again when the car behind us hit us.

Within a couple minutes of the accident my head started to feel “funny†and I started to get a headache which was accompanied soon after by nausea and neck pain. Within 30 minutes I had numbness down my left arm into my fingers and pain in my lower and middle back with a worsening headache.

When the driver got back into the car he said the other driver was lucky and that there wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t much damage to either vehicle. I asked him if he got the guyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s insurance particulars, he said that he didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t. I told him that I think I have whip lash because I was starting to get a headache and my neck was starting to hurt, he told me that he had the other carâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s license plate number.

He contacted the dispatch and told the dispatcher that he was going to be 16 or 17 minutes late for his 4:45 pm drop off, but he didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t mention the car accident or why he was going to be late. Twenty minutes after the accident at 4:50 pm my head was hurting quite badly and I was feeling very nauseated. I told the driver that he should contact the dispatch and tell them about the accident and that he had a passenger in the car that was feeling unwell from the accident and maybe they could get someone else to pick up that next person so he could take me directly home.

He said “Oh I should, should I?†in a sarcastic sounding voice and then in the same tone asked my name, which he already had, but I gave to him again. He then said in the same sarcastic tone that after he picked up that other person he would be more than happy to oblige my request. In other words he was carrying on with his schedule regardless of how I was feeling. He then got on the radio to talk to dispatch again and told them that he was also going to be late for his 4:58 pm pick up, and once again didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t bother to mention the car accident.

After the accident the driver continued to rant about his schedule and how late he was and how the accident made him even later. He was a maniac behind the wheel: Constantly slamming on the brakes and stomping on the gas and taking turns at full speed, so that I was being jarred and thrown around in the back seat which was only adding to my growing discomfort. When I got home he didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even get out of the car to help me out or even ask how I was feeling. Actually, he never once asked me how I was feeling during the entire ride. The only thing he mentioned was that he will probably be stiff tomorrow.

So now I'm back to going to the chiropractor 3 times per week again!

I wrote a letter to the company who owns the car that I was in and they are pooping bricks this week. I found out from another driver from the same company today, that the dispatcher had a big talk with the drivers and told them that the company is in a whole lot of trouble right now because of what happened, and that Handi Transit (who contracts the company) is not at all happy with what transpired. It's passenger safety first, schedule second, and the driver completely disregarded that in every way possible.

Plus the company is probably a whole lot worried about me and my back to work program and the deadline that I have for my nursing hours or I forfeit my nursing license and have to take the refresher course. I told them in no uncertain terms that if this incident in anyway affects my ability to complete my back-to-work program and return to my job in a timely manner so that I can gain the required nursing work hours that I need in order to keep my nursing license and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m forced to have to take the RN Refresher Course and rewrite the Registered Nursing Exam, I will be seeking compensation for the RN Refresher Course as well as living expenses while Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m attending it, as well as the exam fee and any other costs that would be required by me in order to re-obtain my RN License.

I've been loading up on Ibuprofen and Tylenol Plain and using ice packs, and while my back is sore right now, I have to keep pushing myself to get back to my job. Of all the rotten luck and timing that this could happen...just when I'm going into longer hours on the ward and more days in a row

Please keep your fingers crossed for me, and I'll even take any prayers that you can send out too. I need all of the luck and help I can get right now.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw,
that sounds awful! I have noticed that Valerian Root and Passion Flower help relax muscles. But I do know that you have trouble getting out to the store.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats the same pain I had when we got rear ended.
It started with dizziness and a headache and my back hurt.
Remember that post about my back hurting.
I bet thats why its still hurts bad some days on the top part.
I hope something helps you.
I got 200 to get a massage or go to the chrio.
They also paid for the damge to our truck.
That guys need to be in trouble.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so are they covering all your bills and whatnot? isn't that a bit against the law....I would think they would be falling over themselves to get you not to sue...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

so are they covering all your bills and whatnot? isn't that a bit against the law....I would think they would be falling over themselves to get you not to sue...
I filed an autopac insurance claim and my medical expenses are being covered: treatment, xrays, medications if needed, transportation, equipment like the neck pillow my chiro said I now need because I have numbness down both arms, and any lost wages (which doesn't pertain to me because I'm on disability insurance right now)

The thing about our autopac insurance is that it's all "no fault", meaning you can't claim "pain and suffering" etc, and in cases of severe injury IE: paraplegic, lost limbs, death....they have a set flat fee schedule that they will pay out based on the nature of the injury and there is no appeal process to claim more. So basically there is no such thing as "personal injury law suits" here.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I filed an autopac insurance claim and my medical expenses are being covered: treatment, xrays, medications if needed, transportation, equipment like the neck pillow my chiro said I now need because I have numbness down both arms, and any lost wages (which doesn't pertain to me because I'm on disability insurance right now)

The thing about our autopac insurance is that it's all "no fault", meaning you can't claim "pain and suffering" etc, and in cases of severe injury IE: paraplegic, lost limbs, death....they have a set flat fee schedule that they will pay out based on the nature of the injury and there is no appeal process to claim more. So basically there is no such thing as "personal injury law suits" here.
you know, I can't decide if this is a good thing or not (not that what I think really matters). On one hand, here in the USA we have a habit of getting "sue happy" and that would kill that off....On the other hand, there are real reasons people sue.
But regardless, atleast they are covering things that happened because of the car crash. I hope you get feeling better soon

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you had more than one set of x rays done? If not, I suggest you 'update' them, because if you have any type of fracture, or bulging discs in your back or neck, Chiropractic care IS NOT the way you should be going...Chiro can cause more damage to fractures, and bulging discs!!!! Please make sure to update your x rays regularly (every 3 months miniumum); and go to a doctor to do so, as a Chiropractor may not want to do this, as that may mean money out of their pocket if there are fractures or anything else that should not be treated using Chiropractic care!

Just thought I would give that heads up, especially since you had already 'been well' before...that may mean you may have something else going on besides simple 'out of place' stuff.

I hope you get better soon!

Peppermint oil works WONDERS on sore muscles!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

Have you had more than one set of x rays done? If not, I suggest you 'update' them, because if you have any type of fracture, or bulging discs in your back or neck, Chiropractic care IS NOT the way you should be going...Chiro can cause more damage to fractures, and bulging discs!!!! Please make sure to update your x rays regularly (every 3 months miniumum); and go to a doctor to do so, as a Chiropractor may not want to do this, as that may mean money out of their pocket if there are fractures or anything else that should not be treated using Chiropractic care!

Just thought I would give that heads up, especially since you had already 'been well' before...that may mean you may have something else going on besides simple 'out of place' stuff.

I hope you get better soon!

Peppermint oil works WONDERS on sore muscles!!!
My chiropractor took xrays yesterday while I was there.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, that is terrible!
It's too bad you can't sue the pants off the driver because he really deserves to be taught a lesson! I'm really not a "sue happy" american, but sometimes it is warranted and this would be a case. Not the company, just the driver. I'm glad you at least wrote a letter to the company so it is on record. That driver should have been fired, IMO. Obviously he doesn't know what his job requirements are.

But, that is all besides the point. I just hope you get your back straightened out quickly. I think something like that would cause problems for anyone, not to mention someone who already has back problems. Take care of yourself and many healing and prayers coming your way!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having been rear ended about 15 years ago I know how the pain can be. Mine was mainly whiplash with 6 weeks of PT to help my neck.

That driver should have been fired!! Are they providing any extra services (the Handi-transit??) for free yet? I can't believe they didn't have seat belt extenders in all their vehicles either.

Are you feeling any better since last Friday??

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Having been rear ended about 15 years ago I know how the pain can be. Mine was mainly whiplash with 6 weeks of PT to help my neck.

That driver should have been fired!! Are they providing any extra services (the Handi-transit??) for free yet? I can't believe they didn't have seat belt extenders in all their vehicles either.

Are you feeling any better since last Friday??
I'm really stiff and sore today. I didn't really start to feel it until yesterday. Today is worse. I've hardly slept the last couple of nights because I wake up every hour or two because one or both of my arms is so numb and tingly that they hurt.

I have another chiropractor appointment after work this afternoon. And I've just taken Tylenol plain and some Ibuprofen and am going to apply ice to my neck and back before I leave for work.

So far as the driver goes, I don't know what is going to happen to him. He is an "owner / operator" of his car and I don't know how they work that. He might have a contract that they have to honour despite his conduct. If so, I hope they have an out-clause for something like this. He's in the wrong business!! He shouldn't be in a job that depends on passenger safety.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, you should look into PT for your neck as well. I"m a big believer in chiropractor's, but they just can't do everything.
A friend's son had a whiplash injury 6 years ago, didn't get it treated properly, and still has awful headaches.
Your driver sounds like a real sweet-heart
; that man shouldn't be serving the public.

I do hope you get some pain relief soon.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't one of their driver's just slam your hand in the door too? I hope you are better soon!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Didn't one of their driver's just slam your hand in the door too? I hope you are better soon!
Yep! That was 2 days earlier on Wednesday last week. Same company, different driver. The guy felt really bad and kept apologizing and asking if I was ok. I didn't file a report.

I did find out today that there are no "owner / operators" and that all of the cars are owned by one company which hires drivers to drive them. I also was told by the driver this morning, that the owner had to drive a car on Monday, which he never does. So I am wondering if it was because of this situation.

I had another chiropractor appointment today. I told him that my neck keeps cracking and I have waves of horrid nausea where I feel like I'm going to pass out. He told me that is because of my whiplash. He gave me a cervical collar to wear. I'll wear it at home and at the research job, but certainly not on the ward while looking after patients. I can't afford to "look sick" because that would affect my back-to-work program, and I am just not going to allow that to happen. I need to get back on the payroll for the date planned!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linda, I'm so sorry this happened, especially at this critical time for you... what a mess. And if that driver is still on their staff -- indeed, if he still has a chauffeur's license at all -- I certainly can't imagine why! He was obviously hoping to conceal the fact that the accident happened at all, and that alone should put an end to his employment.

AUGH! I just want to smack this guy for you!

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linda, my friend i'm so sorry that happened to you..I have known drivers like that..they should have their license revoked thats for sure.. especially since they are supposed to be looking after you. He should be fired..and charged and then of course..not allowed to work in that industry again!.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linda, you have just had the worst luck recently with this car company. Is there another one that you could use?

Can you get a prescription for the bigger dose of ibuprofen? My doctor gives my one so that I can just take one tablet and the insurance pays for it.

Is Vicodin an option for you or will you get too loupy at work? How about at night and on your off days? I don't know if this will have adverse effects for you - your doctor will know.

Anyway, that is my