Helping Kitty move

debbiesabo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I recently moved with my 4 year old Kitty and am having some issues with her. She was a stray that I adopted when she was 7 months old and has always been very fearful of new people, especially men and new situations. She has lived in the same house since I've had her. She has always been allowed to go outside but we lived in a housing development and there were alot of dogs and kids and she wouldn't go very far. When I moved to the country there isn't anything there but fields and some woods. We have been there for four weeks. I let her go outside after the first week because she seemed like she was so afraid being cooped up in the house all the time with repairmen coming by to install appliances. She stayed right around the house until last Friday and when I let her out in the morning (she meows louding wanting outside every morning) she disappeared and I couldn't find her. I was terrifed but had to go to work. I came home early and hunted everywhere (probably walking 5 mile or more calling her). At dark that evening she reappeared and has done the same thing every day since except when the weather was raining. She seems so much more satisfied now in the evenings and still sleeps with me and snuggles. Is this normal???? I have never had a cat until her so I don't know if she is just scared and hides every day somewhere or if she enjoys going out into the big fields and hunting. Any advice you could give me would help. I want her to be happy. I also have a 2 year old Chocolate Lab that she is very close to. They sleep together every night. If she were really scared would she come home at night? Thank You! I know this is long but I am just concerned about her.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like she's confident, not scared. A scared cat would run and stay gone. If you really want a little something to help her adjust you could try using Feliway Comfort Zone diffusers in the house. I've found the best prices on Amazon but it's been a while since I shopped. They release cat pheromones (not drugs, totally natural) that helps calm cats. You're right to pay attention. Cats are VERY attached to territory so anytime you move you're causing a big rift in their world and maybe even their personal identity but it sounds like things are progressing nicely for your kitty.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a head's up that some predators in your area might pose a threat to her. Coyotes are usually the worst offenders. It's a good idea to make sure outdoor kitties have a safe place to hide in like a shed or install a kitty door just to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debbiesabo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have thought about the predator issue and am trying to figure out a solution. I rent the house so I don't think a kitty door is an option but I have been looking at some sort of wooden house for her high on the back deck that only she could get in if she would need to. Thank you!

debbiesabo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your help....I think she's alright....I'm just trying to spend alot of time with her in the evenings and play with her. She does seem more confident now and I wondered if maybe she is just finally being a "cat". Having her has been a learning experience, but she is such a loving cat (to me) and I just want her to be alright, mentally, physically and emotionally. I am going to address the predator issue with something she can get in if she would need to that they couldn't on the back deck. Fortunately the past couple of days have been pretty nasty here so she's not left every morning. She goes out for an hour while I get ready for work, but she comes right back when I call her and is in the chair asleep when I get home.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

Just a head's up that some predators in your area might pose a threat to her. Coyotes are usually the worst offenders. It's a good idea to make sure outdoor kitties have a safe place to hide in like a shed or install a kitty door just to be safe.
Although coyotes can and do kill cats, the presence of such is not a death sentence. Cats can climb trees. Coyotes can't.

I'm not trying to dismiss coyotes as a threat; just to put things in perspective.

My aunt's cat would lurk on a tree branch and then jump down onto a coyote's back and dig in all four sets of claws. Coyotes learned to avoid their place.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Although coyotes can and do kill cats, the presence of such is not a death sentence. Cats can climb trees. Coyotes can't.
Not where I'm from. Our officials tell us it's not an if but a when. It happens all the time in Georgia. Not only do they live here in the country but they live in the middle of the city. It's becoming such a big problem here and I hope it doesn't spread!

debbiesabo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We too have a problem with coyotes. They are almost impossible to kill because they are so stealthy. Raccoons are also a problem here for cats.....I try to have her in by dark because of them. She is doing much better...thank you guys so much!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

Not where I'm from. Our officials tell us it's not an if but a when. It happens all the time in Georgia. Not only do they live here in the country but they live in the middle of the city. It's becoming such a big problem here and I hope it doesn't spread!
Well, maybe my Aunt's Boots was unusual, but he would quite regularly chase coyotes out of the yard. He was a 20+ lb. Maine Coon type. (We can't say he was a Maine Coon because he was a stray kitten she picked up; but in looks and behavior [and size!] he perfecty matched everything the cat book said about M.C.s)

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Well, maybe my Aunt's Boots was unusual, but he would quite regularly chase coyotes out of the yard. He was a 20+ lb. Maine Coon type. (We can't say he was a Maine Coon because he was a stray kitten she picked up; but in looks and behavior [and size!] he perfecty matched everything the cat book said about M.C.s)
Lol, sounds like it! I'd have liked to see that! I too have a cat that was a stray but is a dead ringer for a Maine Coon. We call him "mostly Maine Coon." I've seen him run dogs out of the yard but that was when he was a stray and I first found him.